Maremma dogs attacking sheep?

Roderic

A friend of mine recently put down his maremma as he said it attacked one of his lambs as he found blood on its mouth. Can anybody let me know of any instances where a maremma dog has actually attacked the owners sheep?

I hope his claim was true - otherwise the dog died for nothing :(  Did he check for injuries in the dog's mouth ?  Did he check for loose teeth etc ? Was there wool in between the teeth? 
Perhaps the maremma had attacked a fox or a feral dog ..and it was fox/dog  blood?
 I dare say this DOES happen occasionally - perhaps a youngster wasn't solid, perhaps a dog wasn't trained properly ...but I would like to see a dead/injured lamb first before deciding on euthanasia.

Edited by persephone
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Mairead said:

There is even folklore about this - Gelert the Irish Wolfhound found with blood on him and baby missing. Enraged owner kills him but then finds baby OK and a dead wolf.

I was thinking that exact thing mairead

here's some more from a Welsh walker's diary:

In Beddgaelert, we took a walk by the river and visited the grave of the legendary Gelert, the hound who protected his master’s infant child from a giant wolf. When the baby’s father, Prince Llywelyn, returned from the hunt, saw blood on the dog and no sign of his son, he killed Gelert believing him responsible. As Gelert fell, the prince heard his son cry and found him safe with the slain wolf nearby. 
  space
1209-gelert.jpg
The faithful Gelert
Horrified by his actions, the prince, it is said, never smiled again. The village is named in honor of this brave dog. Beddgelert=the grave of Gelert.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Roderic said:

A friend of mine recently put down his maremma as he said it attacked one of his lambs as he found blood on its mouth. Can anybody let me know of any instances where a maremma dog has actually attacked the owners sheep?

It's no different to a kelpie turning on sheep. Dogs are dogs and we don't always know what they are thinking. Or how well they have been trained. Or if the owner rushed to conclusions.

• Like 4

Thanks for your replies here.

I suppose what I am asking ... are there any instances of the maremma breed attacking sheep or chickens when it is renowned for protecting. Sadly it is too late for such a wonderful dog.

The latest I have heard from this man is he has another large wolfhound that has recently ruptured an ACL in his back leg. He believes that the pain the dog suffering now justifies putting this dog down as well. I see beautiful stories of dogs living long lives after having the leg amputated or even a set of wheels used for mobility.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Roderic said:

Following on that ... is it a myth that a dog gets a "taste for blood" which would lead to further deaths?

Yes.
A dog can discover just HOW rewarding a chase/hunt is, and seek to do more ..this is how working sheep/cattle dogs learn to enjoy their work :) No blood involved, and yet they have a taste for the "hunt" 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roderic said:

he has another large wolfhound that has recently ruptured an ACL in his back leg. He believes that the pain the dog suffering now justifies putting this dog down as well.

ACL corrective surgery has a high success record. It also relieves pain. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roderic said:

I suppose what I am asking ... are there any instances of the maremma breed attacking sheep or chickens when it is renowned for protecting

A breed known to be a successful at a job doesnt equate to cant happen .
If your wanting people to say it would never happen because its a Maremma no one can .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My sister has a Mareema , she has to watch it close , she cannot walk it anymore , where she lives theres paddocks with sheep , she said  when it see's the sheep it goes bunta , and its too strong it pulls her over , she's got no doubt it wants to have a go at the sheep .