My dogs ears not flopping

Mac1234

My puppy is 20 weeks tomorrow and he’s ears arnt what we expected as he is a Staffordshire bull terrier, he was the runt of the litter.. I was wondering will he’s ears eventually flop or will they grow out of this has he body is still growing ?? 

19299B5F-B3A8-4FFD-B326-9BE15B25E487.jpeg

Edited by Mac1234

Teething time can give you surprises as well. Sticking out, one up and one down, folded back etc. You won't really know for a while but as Rebanne said, it can be a lottery. :)  

• Like 2

Firstly... OMG... how adorably cute is that puppy?!? *grin*

Even as you say that your pup was a runt, are you 100% certain he's 20 weeks old? Or is the photo you posted above an old photo from when he was younger?

At 20 weeks of age, your pup should have almost finished his teething stage. Have his puppy teeth been replaced with his "big boy" teeth yet, or is that process still happening? Ears can be really bizarre during the teething stage, so I wouldn't be panicking about them just yet, OK?

If you are really concerned about how his ears are set because you are looking to show him, then you could talk to your vet about maybe applying tape to his ears in specific places in order to "train" them to do the right thing. I wouldn't advocate trying to tape ears yourself, as it will require a bit of knowledge about anatomy and growth patterns of the ears to get right, so a vet may be your best bet for advice there.

If you are not wanting to show him, personally I'd be embracing his individuality if his ears aren't perfectly set... it adds a special jauntiness to his countenance, wouldn't you agree?

T.

18 hours ago, Rebanne said:

a vet wouldn't know how to tape ears. You'd have to ask an experienced staffy breeder.

You may have a point there, but vets who are experienced in fixing ear haematomas will have the odd trick up their sleeves when it comes to taping for a good sit.

I still reckon that if the cute little dude isn't going to be shown, his ears are pretty darned fine... *grin*

T.

What does his breeder say about the ears?

If you do decide to tape them ideally find a vet who shows and/or breeds staffies and be prepared for a less than perfect result.

Every terrier standard seems to ask for a different ear - early example of point-of-difference marketing?

T, jauntiness, countenance - are you a Jane Austen fan? I've just listened to Emma Thompson's Austenese acceptance speech for Sense and Sensibility.

16 hours ago, tdierikx said:

You may have a point there, but vets who are experienced in fixing ear haematomas will have the odd trick up their sleeves when it comes to taping for a good sit.

I still reckon that if the cute little dude isn't going to be shown, his ears are pretty darned fine... *grin*

T.

Yeah that would be still a no.

Ear Haematomos are no comparison to taping ears to help the fold .

We have taped ears and big experience with Ear H.

A breeder is the only source and if the ears aren't right no amount of tapping will help .

To the Op that is a small head compared to ear size .

What are the parents ears like ?

What has the breeder said ?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mairead said:

T, jauntiness, countenance - are you a Jane Austen fan? I've just listened to Emma Thompson's Austenese acceptance speech for Sense and Sensibility.

Not particularly a Jane Austen fan, but I am fairly well-read... *grin*... if I had to choose my fave period fiction book, it would be Wuthering Heights actually.

As for the pup, many questions come to mind based on the photo posted. If the photo is recent and the OP says the pup is 20 weeks old, I'm thinking maybe not from showing lines, as the photo shows a pup that would be quite underdeveloped for that age bracket, and displays many faults that might not really make it great showing material... but I'm sure he will make a lovely family pet.

T.

• Like 3

My littlest in my last litter was way behind the others but caught up once food was introduced. At 8 weeks you would never have known he was half the weight and size until 4 weeks. He's a big boy now, nearly 6 yo and weighing 38kg and a lovely example of the breed.

• Like 1