Fish oil recommendations

blissirritated

Hi all. George (8.5yr old Lab /Staff Cross) has been put on fish oil tablets for his arthritis. And I love our vet, he is an absolute magician - however the Antinol Rapid he’s recommended seems insanely expensive for what it is. 

Are there other fish/mussel oil extracts that people are using for their dogs in place of Antinol?

I would Google… but I’ve chosen to reactivate a decade old forum account instead… so I guess that shows how much success I’m having with the Google machine :shrug:

I found Antinol really good. They are all pretty expensive. Maybe you could try a course of Cartrophen injections? An orthopedic surgeon did suggest 4Cyte gel and Glyde powder recently. I don't think they have done anything, I'm just using them up.

We use technyflex powder & had great success.
One dog also gets antinol which i buy direct .
Many who use antinol use it for one dose & use the human lyprinol for the other to make it more viable 

Edited by Dogsfevr

Beware of the cheap stuff.  A couple years ago I read a peer reviewed article that found much of it was rancid.   I'll try to find a link.  It must be stored properly.

This isn't the article I had in mind, but it does a good job explaining.  There are many studies finding rancidity.  Most look at human supplements,  but veterinary meds are less regulated than human, so I  doubt they're better in this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4681158/

Edited by sandgrubber
added link
  • Like 1

You could ask your vet about monthly Synovan injections, my old boy did ok on them, check the 'What is Synovan' heading here

I give my 12y/o Dandie, Zara, 1tsp Cen Oil daily (I use the horse one as it was given to me) as well as 3/4 tsp of Glucosimine/Chondroitin powder. I have found the most economical is from here

I have really noticed an good improvement in Zara's mobility since she has been on the Cen Oil.

It has also helped with new hair growth on my 'skin' Westie

On 20/08/2023 at 3:56 PM, blissirritated said:

Hi all. George (8.5yr old Lab /Staff Cross) has been put on fish oil tablets for his arthritis. And I love our vet, he is an absolute magician - however the Antinol Rapid he’s recommended seems insanely expensive for what it is. 

Are there other fish/mussel oil extracts that people are using for their dogs in place of Antinol?

I would Google… but I’ve chosen to reactivate a decade old forum account instead… so I guess that shows how much success I’m having with the Google machine :shrug:

Hello everyone,

I can totally relate to your situation, as I'm also exploring options for my dog's arthritis treatment. My furry friend, Max, is in a similar boat. He's a 10-year-old mix, and the vet has also suggested fish oil supplements for his joint health.

I've heard great things about Antinol Rapid, but I understand your concerns about the cost. It's always good to consider alternatives that might be more budget-friendly.

I've started researching other fish and mussel oil extracts, but like you, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming.

If any of you have had success with a specific brand or product that's worked well for your dog's arthritis, I'd really appreciate your insights. Your experiences could be super helpful as I navigate this journey to find the right supplement for Max.

By the way, I totally get where you're coming from with the Google search struggles. Sometimes it's much more valuable to tap into a community like this for real-life experiences and recommendations.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions!

Best regards,

April

Blackmores Lyprinol is the human version of Antinol. Still expensive but a bit cheaper. You can usually find it on special somewhere, Chemist Warehouse was a good place to buy it normally. ($48.99 for 100 tablets). I used it with good effect on an elderly dog.