It’s been a while! Desexing

NikkiandKane

Hi everyone,

it’s been such a long time since I visited the forum. Last time I posted Chase was still a baby and now he’s 3!

just when we were starting to win some points in conformation, and Chase got his first “best in group” I was diagnosed with breast cancer. At 45, I had to have a long 16 rounds of chemo and a double mastectomy. I stopped showing Chase and was too sick to do much with him. He’s become a backyard dog. I’m just getting to a point where he is getting semi regular walks again.

We have decided we are not going back to showing and he is booked to be desexed next Monday. Main reason is that his urine smells hideous, just awful. So I’m hoping someone can tell me that after desexing, the urine won’t smell so hideous. 
he’s grown into such a sweet handsome boy. I’m looking forward to spending time with him again. It’s been super hard and more than once I have seriously considered rehoming him. 

IMG_8721.jpeg

• Sad 4

hi :) You HAVE been through it - you poor thing   :hug:  Glad you are now feeling much better and are getting back into partnership with your boy :)
Yes, urine will smell much less some time after desexing  :) It takes a little while for hormone levels to drop after castration ...but you should notice a big difference . 
He is definitely a handsome boy , and much loved. 

• Like 2

Glad you are feeling better...cancer is just ghastly.

If you and Chase enjoy participating in shows there is the Neuter class, it may be a fun time for you both.

There's usually a Best Neuter in Show & Open Neuter in Show so maybe worth thinking about :)

• Like 1

No guarantee at all the urine smell will change .
Some dogs have strong urine nothing to do with hormones .
As a boarding kennel owner we board plenty of spayed dogs whose urine is strong & stinky .
My entire dogs & even stud dogs come no where near the smell .
Diet can make wee smell strong 

• Like 1