When is it time for the rainbow bridge.

Sorry this is so long.  I dont know what to do.  My darling GSP boy is now 14.  Hearing not great. very wobbly on back legs (we have ugly mats all over the house so he doesnt slip on the floorboards).  He has what we believe and vet believes is probably doggie dementia and he's now regularly getting sundowners and pacing during the early evening (some help using melatonin, and if really bad half a gabapentin).  Hes on fluoxetine for anxiety and has been on it successfully for 3 years.  He eats really well, and once asleep at night, usually sleeps well all night (sometimes up for a toilet break).   Im not sure if he's he pain, his back leg and hips are very wasted and wobbly, he has 3 monthly cartophen injections, Antinol capsules and half a panadol daily.  

The issue is Cauda Equina.  He never wees in the house, but he is now defecating daily (before it was maybe once a week) its not that he forgets to go outside, its that he can't hold it in long enough.  Sometimes it comes out while he's just laying in bed, but mostly he gets up to go outside but just doesnt make it in time.  For the most part, its not hard to manage, we pick up the nuggets, disinfect the floor and carry on.  But there are occasions where he poos and slips in it or sits in it and it creates an unholy mess. I manage it myself as I know my husband would find it hard to cope with having to do it all the time.  last night I went out and he had to deal with it and wasnt happy. To make it clear, my husband is NOT asking me to have him PTS but Im starting to mull over when it will be time.  

We move in 7 weeks time to acreage in the country and I would dearly love to have him with us there for him to experience all that free open land, but also so when the time comes he can be buried there. 

To me he seems happy enough, he eats his dinner with gusto, and sleeps beside me all day (I work from home). We dont go on walks anymore, but he can trot around the garden when he see's a bird. 

Its just the mess in the house (and on him occasionally.  I obviously dont want to give him wings because its more "convienent" for our household, but am I holding on to him too long?

• Sad 2

We have multiple dogs here- mostly working Koolies. They are born here and die here. They age - they get wobbly/deaf and sometimes blind.They get lumps and bumps ...They are always sent off before they become too dependent , before they lose their dignity .
My old Mitchell many years ago was getting on in years - he was covered in small growths  and was very wobbly .Eating well,had no mind/brain problems , still sparked up if someone said Rabbits...then he started becoming faecally incontinent. This made him upset - pooing when asleep or just when walking along - he would get very embarrassed as if he'd done something wrong.
I decided then it was time - while he was on no meds, while he was still mostly happy and alert, when memories would be primarily happy ones.His last minute was tailwags, and thoughts of rabbits ...I felt no guilt - just relief that he would be spared  suffering /inabilities/indignities.
That's just my take on it - I don't believe in 'keeping them going '
We currently have a 14 y.o  who is almost deaf, and a bit wobbly .She will still bark at 'whatever' , fight off a youngster if she has food , and get her nose working when I hide cat bikkies for her . She coughs a bit , and had some trouble in the heat , but is certainly still very able . Not ready anytime soon for the bridge :)
You and your dog - that is your relationship and care model :hug: 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3

My biggest worry would be the move. Elderly dogs (and people for that matter) don’t “do change” very well.

I have seen quite a few older people, seemingly coping very well in their familar environment, just straight out decline in new, unfamiliar surrounds. I have observed similar patterns with elderly dogs - ours, friends and family. The anxiety that change provokes can be awful, both for the dog and family. If your darling boy is coming with you, you will have to be proactive in getting him familar with the new place and its smells. I wish you luck, in the end you have to consider what is best for him.

• Like 4

Thank you.  We're in process of selling our family home, and Im not sure I could cope with losing him in the middle of all of it. I just keep asking him to give me long enough to get him to our acreage because I want him to be there with me, which is selfish I know. 

Why oh why can't our dogs go in their sleep like old humans do. why must we have to make the decision for them to go :-(

• Sad 3

Such a personal and difficult decision that doesn’t get any easier with time. 

I certainly understand your hope that your boy can make it to your new home. 
Sending you lots of strength during this time. :kissbetter:

• Like 4

I feel that by asking here you do know what you need to do and, unfortunately, pretty shortly from what you have written.

As he is a GSP he will have more brains than your average dog so he'll know he's doing a poo where, in his heyday, he would never do, his hips will be hurting and the fact that he is eating well and trundling round the garden don't make up for his just feeling so bad physically and mentally

I think his time has come and really feel for you as that last goodbye just sucks big time

B xx

• Like 4

I very much agree with Perse. Warrior is coming up to 13, a good age for a Greyhound. He is very wobbly in the back end with little to no muscle tone. But he can still jump up on my bed. Which is a little bit my line in the sand. If he starts to become incontinent then he will be off to the bridge.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

He's crossing the bridge today.  The kids who live in SA both saw him yesterday to say goodbye. He had a maccas cheeseburger for dinner and I have some forbidden chocolate for him to try before he leaves.  Our vet is mobile so it will thankfully happen here at home and she will take him with her when she leaves,  for cremation.  We'll bury his ashes under a large gum tree on our new property and put a plaque there.  He  didnt get to experience our 12 acres here but he's going to be chasing birds again with new painfree legs on the other side where he will wait for us.. 

14 years and 4 months is a good innings 

Screenshot_20210914-234040_Gallery (002).jpg

Edited by fiveplusone
  • Like 3
  • Sad 10

Thinking of you and your family @fiveplusone as you give your darling boy one last amazing gift.

Whilst he mightn't have been able to enjoy your new property in life, know that he'll enjoy it with you every day in spirit.

Run free sweet boy and keep watch over your family until you're reunited. :rainbowbridge:

• Like 3

Oh Fivers, I just saw this. We get no control over when it is 'time'. We can't hold it off because life is already hectic or something amazing is happening soon. It sucks. You've got a plan to bring him with you into your new life and that is the best you can make of this situation. I'm sorry. Big hugs to you. Your boy is currently having a ball over the bridge without his frail body holding him back.

He will still be there at your new place in your heart and memories. My shar pei Tempeh is the first dog I ever cremated because I knew I would be moving house and I couldn't leave her behind. She still 'talks' to me here. Her strongest connection was with me,  not where we lived. 

Take care of yourself. X

• Like 5

Thanks everyone.  It was very peaceful.  He had 3/4 family sized block of chocolate before his sedation and was snoring loudly on in arms when the vet administered the final injection.   The vet cried too. She didnt rush me, asked me if I was ready etc.  It was the right time and he had no anxiety and was just happy snuggled in my arms eating chocolate.  

• Like 9