Injuries Caused by Pets Increasing in Australian Homes. ABC News 14/3/24

Deeds

I've had a chipped front tooth (foster pup decided to jump off the stairs for me to catch her), an abscess on the base of my spine requiring 2 surgeries (foster fail got under my feet while carrying a basket of washing and I fell hard on my butt onto the concrete to avoid stepping on her) and a shattered wrist requiring 2 surgeries and months of rehab (foster dog wanted to pee in the middle of the night, coffee table had been moved and I could feel myself falling down the lounge room stairs and threw myself to the side so I didn't face plant into it. Still took doggo out to pee before calling ambulance!).

Dogs can be dangerous in lots of ways but I still love them!

• Like 2

I can't say that I've had any incidents requiring a trip to the doctor or hospital with any dogs that have lived with me - either my own or the hundreds of fosters I've had over the years.

As a teen, I got kicked in the ankle by a calf that had me in emergency getting xrays - nothing broken, but some tendon damage.

Also as a teen, fell off a horse which then fell on me - one night in hospital - 3 cracked ribs, a broken collarbone, and a broken toe. Horses are heavy!

When I shared a house rental, I tripped over the resident cat in the middle of the night, causing me to stumble and break a toe on a table leg... ouch - but didn't go to hospital. Toe was obviously broken, so I strapped it to the next toe and got on with hobbling about for a few weeks.

Working at a petting zoo, tripped over a curious piglet and smashed my knee - cracked the kneecap and messed up tendons, and a small cut as well. Turns out that you can get up and run a short distance with a broken knee when faced with six 30kg piglets coming at your face as you lie on the ground groaning.

Also at petting zoo, damaged cactus thumb trying to catch an escaped piglet - little bugger ran past me and I tried to grab it, but it headbutted my thumb.

I don't remember which petting zoo animal helped me tear my thigh muscle.

Horned in the face - about 1cm from my eye and temple - when hoof trimming a fractious goat.

Nailed on the hand by a cat when I was a student vet nurse. It got me on the vein with a single claw hook. Had to get a tetanus shot and ABs for that one.

Considering the high exposure to so many animals over the years, I've been surprisingly injury-free I'd say. Can't say if it's down to good luck or good management... probably a bit of both... *grin*

T.

• Like 2

So many people just do not treat dogs with the respect deserved of something with its own mind and very sharp teeth! 

T- when is your book coming out?  :):)

Working at a petting zoo, tripped over a curious piglet and smashed my knee - cracked the kneecap and messed up tendons, and a small cut as well. Turns out that you can get up and run a short distance with a broken knee when faced with six 30kg piglets coming at your face as you lie on the ground groaning.

In all my years around animals there have only been a few noteworthy injuries - a decent concussion after being accidentally headbutted by a labrador -
a deep puncture wound to the ball of my thumb- trying to break up a dog fight  in kennels -
A bite to one calf from an absolute biatch of a kelpie named 'cuddles' by her owner, but known for sneak attacks on anyone working with sheep in the yards. It put me down on the ground very quickly - but there was no punctures, just a massive deep bruise and a very stiff muscle. 
Oh - one lucky escape  :) once when training dogs at a community farm, I was mounted by an in-season heifer! No great damage done there.

• Like 2

I got kicked in the face by a dog that was jumping off the bed, and got a black eye. Was a bit hard to explain convincingly to non-dog people. But most big dog owners just nodded, :)

• Haha 4

Like others, I've had much dog exposure with few injuries.  I got bitten in the face twice: first by an Irish setter when I was 4 and inadequately supervised (probably pulling all that pretty hair), and 60-some years later in kennels by a grumpy old fellow who REALLY didn't want a bath.  Neither needed much treatment other than minor bandaging and antibiotics.  Not sure the antibiotics were needed.

Of course, puppies have pierced my skin more times than I can count, but that's what puppies do.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, persephone said:

T- when is your book coming out?  :):)

Hahaha! Not about to let the whole world know that I might have taken my eye off the ball long enough to get hurt by animals in my care... errr!

As for your heifer incident... I've had that happen with an emu... he thought I was his one and only, and it got to the point that I couldn't enter his enclosure during mating season, as he'd beeline straight for me to love me long time... lol! He was a lovely boy outside of mating season though, and I even managed to teach him to roll onto his back for tummy rubs...

Further to the horn in the face by the goat, I was left with an impressive shiner, and when other staff asked me what happened, I told them I'd asked the boss for a raise... lol!

Funnily enough, the only injury that had me take time off work was the pig vs thumb incident, as I couldn't wield a rake or shovel for a couple of days. Leg injuries slowed me down a bit, but judicious strapping with vetwrap and tape stabilised the leg enough to get on with the job.

Even the time I was hospitalised by the horse, as soon as I was discharged the following morning, my mother dropped me off at school.

The first day I visited my friend's monkey sanctuary, I got slapped upside the head by a cheeky macaque as I was locking the enclosure door - taught me to keep an eye on exactly where the monkeys were at all times... luckily I only got slapped, not grabbed and bitten. Also taught me to NEVER become complacent around animals... especially exotic ones you don't know intimately.

People might remember the incident at Shoalhaven Zoo where the keeper was mauled by the 2 lions... I know that person, and she wins all the scar competitions. It is very sobering to see the scars though... she is lucky to be alive. She takes all responsibility for what happened, as she had not double checked that the slides to the outside area were shut before entering the dens to clean up. The 2 young lions had only wanted to play with her, there was no intent to actually hurt her, but we just aren't built to play with a cat (or 2) that weighs over 150kgs. Note that she had hand raised them from small cubs, and knew them intimately.

I think the takeaway from all animal related incidents is that complacency and/or lack of education on the actual dangers of living/working with animals are key factors in all incidents... especially with companion animals. We seem to have shifted from looking at them and treating them as animals, and expect them to behave like furry children, which they are NOT.

T.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've got just a few permanent scars over many years from grooming freaked out felted dogs but you can understand when they are in pain. You can't just leave them like that while you wait for them to settle into foster care. The change in them afterwards is beautiful to see. :heart:

And just the one puppy injury. Very curious bub pawed at my face and scratched my eyeball pretty deep. My fault, I just wasn't quick enough! 

@Rebanne When I think of all the childhood lego injuries my parents suffered it doesn't seem so bad. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 3