Favourite Vegies

Hi

I'am due to make up some Harvey food this afternoon, and was wondering what vegies/fruit your dog/s like the most. Or which ones do you use and why?

Basically i am wanting to vary his vege content a wee bit more, for the last few batches i have been adding a different vege or fruit, but am kinda stumped on what to add this time? There is usually 3-4 types of veg in his mix mainly some orange ones, a couple of greens and a fruit of some sort.. coconut being his favourite still and he is really enjoying the spinache lately (i assume he is cause it is all gone in seconds) :rolleyes:

Edited by katetk

My dog eats her vegies and fruit when I make dinner :rolleyes: :cry:

It's become a game of hers to come over to the fridge and see what I'm getting out for dinner from the vegie drawer , I then give her whatever is in there , beens , carrot , small piece of Cauliflower , celery etc.

for her main meal I add leftover vegies from our dinner .

She liked shaved pumpkin , I was peeling the skin off and sliced a few bits of pumpkin using a potato peeler and she gobbled them , so maybe pumpkin for your dog , snowpeas are nice , sweet potato (shaved is easier )

I've posted my Chook Stew on this forum recently.

Into a pressure cooker add:

Chook, carrots, sweet spuds (orange-coloured ones) and green beans and broccoli. You add other thing you find in your fridge - cauliflower etc.

It is easy to prepare and dogs just love it, especially the gravy. Serve with brown rice and sprinkle some dog vitamin and mineral powder on it. :rolleyes:

Edited by doggo

Mine like most veges but actually go ape for parsley. :rolleyes:

Pawpaw and apple are their favourite fruit, but then again eat mostly all that I offer.

funny you should mention parsley.. i recently bought some to start adding to his feeds, then it died, so i bought some more... i looked at it this morning, and, well, it aint looking too good :cry: i don't know what i am doing wrong with it, but it just goes all limp and keels over and dies within days of being in my care :rolleyes:

So why do people give their dogs the vege/fruit that they do? Or is it a case of, if they eat then thats ok? Or do you think, i'll give him some pumpkin because pumpkin is good for this or that? And beans for this etc etc?

Bronte adores zucchini.... Loves peas, beans and cauliflower. Hates carrots, will actually go out of her way to pick them out and put them on the ground beside her dish.....

Fruit-wise - loves a piece of apple and mango now and then. She prefers the banana skin to the actual fruit.

i don't know what i am doing wrong with it, but it just goes all limp and keels over and dies within days of being in my care 

That sounds like every plant I have ever cared for :rolleyes:

Ollie loves butternut pumpkin, carrots, swedes, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini in his dinner... This has been a trial and error thing to get it so he really likes it.

Jodie

:rolleyes: yes, plants and i just dont work.

With the zucchini do you peel it before you pulp it or just dice it up and put it through the blender witht he skin on.. Are there pips in zucchini's (clearly i dont really eat it that much) if so, are they ok for dogs??

I just wash it and trim the top and bottom off, then dice/grate/chop it...

I often buy organic veges, but sometimes it is easier to pick them up at the supermarket, so I make sure that I wash all his veges...

Jodie

Guest cloverfdch

My guys love carrot, be it whole, grated, sliced they dont care. I have been having the same problem lately with new vege mix ideas, so ideas would be good. They will only eat brocolli if i break it up and mask it in their fish or egg ;).

I also try and "mix by colour"

For the fibreous veggies it is either pumpkin, sweet potatoe or broccoli

Then he tends to get a lot of basic fruits like bananas, apple, pear, tomatoes

and cucumber and celery

he gets cooked mash potatoe and carrots a couple of times a week because those are usually the ones left over from our dinner ;)

Mine get anything which looks a bit sad in the fridge, and veges/fruit which are not too expensive, and I have Jap pumpkin growing. They always have variety, and have had

bananas

pears

apples

plums

peaches

rock melon

pumpkin (I partly cook this, for the sake of the processor's motor)

cooked potato

sweet potato

broccoli

cauliflower

beans

peas

carrots

parsnip

silverbeet/spinach

cucumber

zucchini

Zucchini and cucumber give them terrible wind, so that's pretty well off the menu.

They totally refuse to eat any citrus products.

They get other fruit/veges, whatevear is a good price - but I have more than 1 to feed. They seem very partial to carrots and bananas - but it's hard to tell, really, they just hoover everything up!

Variety is important.

Pumpkin picked straight from the garden and anihilated over several hours - never ceases to amaze me how they can bite into a pumpkin!

Something bad about BANANA SKINS. Does anyone know? Chooks won't touch them, neither would my piggy. Know you can use them to get rid of warts...

Thanks for the responses.. this time i added in Zucchini and some Bok Choy (both new for harvey) as well as pumpkin, celery and carrot - seems to be going down a treat although anything with chicken goes down a treat with him :laugh: .. the mush looks alot 'greener' than usual but am assuming thats not a bad thing? Plus even better - the bok choy was cheap as chips!!

Edited by katetk

We have only had our girls for a couple of months and they are still pups but they love their vegies. I have gotten into the habit now of making pumpkin and carrot sticks and keeping them in the fridge for a little treat for them instead of the schmacko things as we use them all the time for training, etc. They sit there and just munch and munch - I think they like the texture of the root vegetables. I swear our girls eat better than we do some days!

I also grate most vegies direct into their food, zucchini, pumpkin, sweet potato. I haven't got a blender but read somewhere that dogs can't digest vegetable matter like humans and it should be as pulverised as possible :laugh: Concerned me at first, but haven't seen any vegetables come out they way they went in. Any experience with this concept?

I am still experimenting with what is in season, but am certainly going to try some of the other suggestions such as bok choy, apples, silverbeet and the like.

Great suggestions :shrug:

Edited by fifi trixibell