Dog Bones

Guest Tess32

You will hear/read thousands of different opinions on what to feed your dog and plenty of other myths as well.

Dogs naturally eat bones and raw meat - it is good for them.

I don't feed too much marrow though - I scoop some of it out.

Nat

my boy eats it all - he cant actually eat the middle bit of a bone as theyre too dense but all the rest...i think the marrow can be pretty fattening if ur watching their weight and also rich but it is good for them all round i think

JMO...

:rolleyes: haven't heard that one ....

I have heard that enlarged prostates may cause some constipation if it restricts the bowel diameter.

I guess, if the dog was then fed lots of bones..& was tring to pass hard matter..it would be more difficult,& painful.????

Don't know.....

Edited by persephone

I know if you feed TOO much bone it CAN cause constipation.

Marrow Bones on small puppies may be too hard and can break the baby teeth.

I have heard of marrow bones splintering and getting caught either in the digestive tract or back of mouth. Have heard instances of chicken bones doing the same. Although both of those have been isolated instances and the dog concerned would eat a tin plate if given it.

Cooked bones - NO GO..

How much is too much, with bones though? I was just thinking of this this afternoon. My guy Olly gets a lamb offcut with tea everynight, he might get two or three bones a week - not huge ones, probably the size of half a palm - that's ok right?

The way this guy poops, if I block him up he'll explode in 24 hours ;)

Everything in moderation is my motto! ;)

Firstly, I don't think I'd pay much credence to the bones causing cancer argument. Think about dogs in the wild. I daresay very few of them died from cancer or cancer-related ailments and they would have pretty much existed on the bones of their prey.

As far as the size of bones are concerned, I judge how big a bone should be for a dog by the size of the dog vs the size of the bone. For example, my Rottweiler and my Staffordshire Bull Terrier simply LOVE the marrow bones which I get from my butcher....standing order every Friday, one marrow bone sliced down the centre. BUT, my American Cockers can't even lift the darned things let alone chew them, so they stick with the chicken wings and necks and are quite content (as are the cats who get the chicken products as well). I do also buy chicken frames (carcasses) whenever they are available and ALL of them crunch those nicely.

When I have puppies around, they too get chicken necks, but chopped up much smaller because once they get the taste, they tend to just gulp them down without even giving consideration to what teeth are for...and the chicken wings get "tipped" and the puppies get the tips. Don't want to risk choking.

It is unusual that a raw chicken bone will splinter, however, whilst quite rare (normally they are digested very quickly) it isn't unheard of for them to actually bend, get swallowed and then unbend, causing blockages.

Cooked bones of ANY kind are definitely OUT OUT OUT!!!!! ESPECIALLY the bone from the Sunday roast and chop bones. The roast bone can splinter very easily and chop bones tend to be very sharp and can do untold damage on the way down!!

It is also not a good idea to give dogs the leftover ham bone at Santa-time, ham is heavily treated and the chemicals tend to leech into the bone.

AND rawhide bones should be supervised carefully too. Once they're small and soggy, they should be repossessed or they could get stuck and cause choking.

All sorts of don'ts, but safety is paramount!

Guest LittlePixie

My guys here get lamb brisket and chicken necks... they haven't had any for a couple of nights though because I've been getting home late and forgetting to thaw them out beforehand ;) (Brody doesn't like frozen things because it is cold on his little tongue)

I haven't had any problems with feeding them and I know I'm not the only one here who feeds them on a regular basis...

I'm also interested in meganjane's question... how much bone IS too much?

Edited by LittlePixie

Lp,

my interpretation from what I have read is that if the dog starts getting stools that cause constipation, to much however if your dog still passes movements easily without straining you are pretty much on a good ratio, every dog is different as to how they absorb their diets, so you may just have to go observe for a few days till you work out what is best ;)

Jacqui

ETA: Dont forget thow Marrow bones are different to chicken frames/necks & bones & lamb brisket so variety is a big then as well..... :)

J

Edited by bommy

Guest LittlePixie

I thought that *some* straining was good because it helped to empty the anal sacs?

Can you tell me why marrow bones are different? Are they harder?

Thanks bommy ;)

Guest LittlePixie

Double post. Got all excited and carried away ;)

Edited by LittlePixie

Marrow bones are VERY hard indeed. They are usually the "long bones" from the cow, ie thigh, so are designed for weight bearing. My Rottweiler can usually demolish his half of the bone (split down the centre by the butcher with his saw - THAT'S how hard they are!!) in a day but it takes him ALL day gnawing pretty steadily.

Yeah marrow bones are harder and I only give them a recreational bone rather than a meal.

I guess because generally they come from larger, older animals unlike the young chickens that I feed as a staple.

My vet has told me that marrow bones are only bad for dogs if they are cut in half the wrong way. If you cut them length ways then the dog can get all the marrow out, which is too much for them. As long as you cut them in half the short way, they are fine.

One of my dogs has chronic pancreatitus, possibly as a result of eating too much marrow in large bones which she used to love. I wish in hindsight, that I had offered only chicken necks (with all the fat removed). ;)

I thought that *some* straining was good because it helped to empty the anal sacs?

Hi LP

sorry by straining i mean really straining hard & just passing just about pure concrete so to speak.....

you are right about teh anal sack thing

Jacqui

by straining i mean really straining hard & just passing just about pure concrete so to speak.....

Shitabrick hey :o Haha sometimes my dogs will crap out dogmade marble,makes it easy to poop scoop the yard, but is a sign of to much bones this week for them.. :D

Edited by Sirmonsta

If your dog is really having constipation problems, add more meat, vegies etc.

Meaty bones is the thing to feed though, plain cleanly trimmed bones don't have enough meat on them to be fed all the time IMO. As recreational bones once a week fine.

But meaty wings, lamb flaps neck bones etc are good every day bones.

Hi, I fed my previous dog marrow bones when she was young (around 12months) to keep her amused during the day . The vets always commented on how clean her teeth were in her old age but !!! she had ground them down at the front and only had teeth half the size they should have been, in hindsight don't give to many. I have given my cocker pup a lamb bone not sure what it was looked like a smaller version of the marrow bone from beef and she was'nt interested. I have always fed chicken carcuses and necks don't like wings they are to small, because I only have the one pup she gets chicken pieces for casseroles. Small drumsticks thighs, and other large pieces keeps her happy as well as vegs and apples and what ever the supermarket is selling cheap plus fish once a week. :o Fed better than many people I know