Herding Instinct Test

have just found this thread, as my heeler x "oz" herds my dogs continually, while out on our walks he lays down waiting for them to run past with his head right on the floor and then chases them ,lunging up at them as they go past, he stays close by me all the time, and he also "stalks "them. he was from the pound as a pup, i believe his 2 sisters are herding?

how do i go about getting started to see if he would be any good? do you think he would be too rough for sheep, he lunges at my 2, at their head as they go past,?has caught my wei on the ear once ,and god did it bleed :rofl: any advice appreciated, would love him to do something he enjoys.

I would be getting him a lesson somewhere Juice...one of his sisters after all was fabulous on sheep when she was as young as 4 months of age, last i heard she was progressing well. Maybe Sidoney can update us on any progress there. The other sister never had much of a look at them, showed lots of eye playing with dogs, but was scared of sheep, and i rehomed her much quicker so she only ever had the one try.

ETA: apologies for the old thread getting resurrected, think that was my fault as i linked to it in another thread :) .

Edited by dogdayz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickie is actively herding ATM and could be worth asking. I reckon she would suggest the herding at Erskine Park, apparently the fellow in charge there is good. I've not been.

The sister referred to (if it's the one I'm thinking of, Belle) got very ill for a while, I think she's recovering now, have not seen her owners for a bit. Being ill she was not doing much of course.

I just had a look at some of the regs, thanks for the link. It's limited to herding breeds! Would you believe that a Vizsla I bred and which lives on a cattle property helps to herd the cattle for his owners? I was amazed to hear it.

For me, I think I'll save the herding for my Kelpie.

That sucks! There are Danes in the States hearding that I've recently discovered :rofl:

Edited by sas

Perry and I go a sheepdog school where any breeds can participate if they show interest. We have a wide range of herding breeds, Koolies, Borders, Kelpies, Briards, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Pulis but I have also seen a doberman, blue and red heelers, and some with an interesting mix of ancestry. We go near Canberra but I know that classes are also held at Camden.

I've been searching for a while (maybe I've missed it), is there anywhere I can get herding lessons in Victoria?? I live just west of Melbourne... Sorry I'm a bit of a doofus when it comes to these things.

Indi's sister apparently did very well in her herding instinct test, so I feel I just can't let this slide by :angel: