Fruit And Dogs - What Fruits Are Ok To Try?

I have heard that some people give their dogs fruit. I tried my dog with some little bits of banana today and although she found the experience odd (chewing up that gluggy tacky stuff) she did eat it! She sometimes gets to eat cooked carrots and broccoli too but I am just wondering what the go with fruit is. Are there any that should be avoided? Are any better than others? Thanks.

Grapes aren't good apparently.

I give mine banana, apple, pear, mango, rockmelon, pawpaw, basically anything to throw in the BARF mix or feed them separate as treats. My foster boy Radar will gulp down a dozen bananas if I let him :worship::worship:

Hmmmm... strawberries 'ey??

They can get all my dodgy strawberries when my plants start producing :worship:

Lucky I've fenced off the vege garden, I've seen those doggies looking at my plants :worship::worship:

Yup, grapes and raisins/sultanas can be toxic. They are ok if you give the dog one or two, but anymore than that and they can get quite sick (vomitting etc). Apparently avocado seeds and mango seeds are bad for them too, so probably best to avoid any big seeds in fruit.

My dogs won't eat citrus fruits, or kiwi fruit, as they are too tangy, but they'll eat pretty much anything else. One of my boys particularly likes watermelon.

My friends Dally used to patrol the strawberry patch and carefully pick off the ripe ones. They NEVER got any strawberries for themselves.

:worship: They're not getting mine :worship: well, unless I choose to share :angel:

The other berries will be growing over the dividing fence though, if they can pick raspberries and boyseberries through the netting they're welcome to have some :worship:

" WARNING: Grapes Could Kill Your Dog

...Grapes and raisins join chocolate and onions as items proven hazardous to canines, according to the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

...Hours after eating large quantities, ranging from nine ounces to two pounds, dogs began throwing up or experiencing diarrhea, said Dr. Safdar Khan, APCC director of toxicology. Grapes or raisins could usually be seen in either the vomit or stool.

One to two days afterwards, the dogs went into kidney failure. Originally the center believed 50 percent recovered, but further research into the data showed that more than half survived. Survival depended on a number of factors, particularly how early the damage was caught and how aggressively it was treated, Dr. Khan said.

...As for small quantities, there's no way to say at this point whether they're dangerous. Further research is needed to establish whether small amounts can build up to a cumulative effect, Dr. Khan said. But it's best to be careful.

"Chronic toxicity is always a challenge," he said. "We don't know if that would be a problem or not, since it's come up so recently. I would caution them." "

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/magazin...?ARTICLEID=1394

Yep all of what everyone has mentioned but include all forms of melon - particularly wate and rock...

My old girl will bypass everything and I do mean everything for the peelings from carrots....have no idea why but as soon as I start scraping she starts drooling.....odd but cute.

My boy, actually the cat too, love coconut. NOT the packet stuff though, i buy a coconut, drain the milk, blast it in the oven and crack it with a hammer. I have the Dog, the cat and the OH all hanging around in the kitchen for pieces of it..

Apple seeds are apparently not good for dogs. I tend to also stay away from citrus fruits too.

Edited by katetk

great thread :worship:

have never even thought of giving my dog fruit before...probably because i dont each much of it myself. :worship:

fruit is obviously healthy for humans, but what about dogs? can a dog eat too much fruit??

How hot does the oven need to be and how long. I've never heard of this interesting

Well you make a hole in the 'eyes' of the coconut to get all the milk out, pre heat the oven pretty hot - around 220c, keep an eye on it, should take about 10 minutes, just wait till there is at least one crack on the outside of it, it then breaks up really easily with a hammer ( i put the coconut in a plastic bag to hammer it so you dont loose too much all over the kitchen :worship: ). I then put the peices in cold water to cool of then they all eat it - i dont really like coconut :worship:

EDIT:- to make the holes in the eyes a phillips head screw driver works well.. bashing it with the hammer... me real good in the kitchen :worship:

Edited by katetk

China used to steal the strawberries too.

Dh even tried growing them outside the gate. One day when he was putting stuff in his truck and had left the gate slightly ajar she snuck out and ripped into them. We still didn't get any strawberries. :worship: Dh was most unamused. :worship:

Kylie

Ours help themselves to the fruit off our trees.. bottom third for dogs, top third for native birds and middle third for us. They spit the seeds of apricots, nectarines and peaches out. They pick bunches of grapes from the vines (never had a problem), the strawberries are goners. They love fresh veggies from the garden... so much for people self sufficiency...

So far we have not found a fruit, or veggie, that our Rottie won't eat. He especially likes bananas, strawberries, and watermelon. He also likes raw carrots and lettuce along with tomatoes, green peppers and cucumber.

:( some of my fruitbat hounds love; bananas, strawberries, a few grapes, rockmelon.

Hey Rozzie, with a full grown wolfhound standing on his tippie-toes and stealing fruit, there is no middle third for us!!! incidentaly, its the big boofy lumpskin, who trips over his own feet - but can stand on his back legs, fully stretched upwards & not leaning on the tree, perfectly balanced!!!

one of my dogs hates peas, will devour an entire dinner in seconds, yet miraculously - there are the peas whole & all clean in the bottom of his bowl :)

cabbage & onions are no-no's too.

fifi