Gsd With Very Matted Tail

well ive recently started up dog washing from home...just a small thing that i do on a saturday morning.

anyway last sat i washed the people across the road german shepherd who was a gentle giant (i actually didnt want to give him back! he was adorable!)

anyway, his tail hasnt been brushed in a long long time and it is very matted.

Big matts. I brushed some of the less matted bits out, but didnt want to do too much as i didnt want to irritate the skin by pulling too much.

Im pretty sure the only option i have is to try and cut these matts out, which is going to be difficult as they're huge.

Im hoping someone here with more experience can give me a better idea of how to deal with this.

Here's a pic of him..he's names Mac.

post-22-1121072844.jpg

this is a pic of his tail..not very good i know, but it was difficult keeping him still.

he wanted to sniff everything.

edited to add : that pic of the tail really doesnt show how bad it actually was, so you'll have to take my word for it. :D

post-22-1121072914.jpg

Edited by wagsalot

Clippers may be the only option but before you resort to that, if you have regular access to Mac, you could maybe try SLATHERING it in a really heavy conditioner and then trying to tease apart the twizzles.

I had good results with a friend's shepherd using a child's spray-in detangler/conditioner and letting it soak in and then using a matt splitter and rake to separate out the hair.

Edited to add: Just a bit of useful info. In future if you get a badly matted dog in to groom, try to remove the matts PRIOR to bathing. It really is a lot easier to remove matts from dry hair and is a lot kinder on the hands as well.

:D

Edited by ellz

When our horses get badly matted tails I rub throug a bottle of baby oil leave for awhile then rake out with my fingers wash like hell to get the oil out then brush the tail works every time I dont know if it will do the same on a shepherds coat, also do it to my Turkish van.

Lots of johnsons baby shampoo lathered in will get the oil out... In fact...if you put the oil in pop the dog somewhere warm, say nice sunny spot as you work out the matts...the dog will get a hot oil treatment as well as getting his coat sorted... :D

Try to brush out matts before washing. I would try to brush with a soft slicker brush - and do very small sections at a time. Condition the tail well when washing. Comb out the conditioner and then rinse. If all else fails, clip off the matts and start again. :D

thanks guys :eek:

will hopefully be able to have mac on saturday so ill give it a go then.

he's such a great dog, but he cant be too comfortable with his tail in that condition.

i was actually a bit worried how i was going to get him into the hydrobath as he was big and heavy and there was no way i could of lifted him.

but i had no problems in the end as he jumped straight into the bath and sat down waiting to be pampered!

it was quite funny seems he hasnt been in a hydrobath before. it was like he just knew what he had to do.

I agree with Dru. With scissors (being very careful not to cut the dog) slip them through the coat right down at the tail and cut outwards through the matts to divide them up into smaller sections. Then brush out gently using a hard slicker and/or comb. Start brushing out from the end of the hair and work your way slowly down to the skin. Hold the hair you are working on in your hand as you do it so it doesnt pull as much. Again, same as Dru I would use a detangling conditioner. My favourite is Equinade Show Silk. Others you can use include Show Sheen, 'The Stuff', Chis Christiansens 'Ice on Ice' or various other products like this which contain a silicone base.

havent had him back yet.

told the owners ive had some good advice though on how to deal with it so she said she'd definately bring him over soon. :thumbsup:

she might not want to bring him back as i told her i wanted to keep him as he was so adorable! :thumbsup:

If you have a stand dryer I have found it easier to deal with this sort of thing after a bath. Wash the tail like a wool jumper, sqeezing in the diluted shampoo and then rinse well. I then use a spray-leave in conditioner which I find has a better effect under the warmth of the dryer. The direction of airflow also helps to separate out the section of hair you are working on and to remove the dead undercoat.

Thicker mats can be split by resting one blade of the scissors on the dogs skin and slidding into the knot ( I find mat breakers a bit rough on the dog with big mats but they are good for lots of little mats)

We all find our own best way of dealing with mats so just see what works best for you with the products you have available.