Worst Day Of My Working Life

KOE

Today we were on our way to the pound when I saw 2 GSD's We stopped and I said to my partner dont get out yet the male can be aggressive as I know the dogs. I got out on the roadside as I was driving and the male came running around wagging his tail. A new south wales tourist with a caravan came flying along the road and nearly hit me and hit the dog. They did not slow down nor did they stop, we took him to the vet but he passed away, someone had opened the gate and the owner is away. I have never cried so much and I think that if the dog did not know me he would not have been hit, he may have stayed on the footpath. I had to ring the owner who is absoloutly devastated..

Rest in peace Mika you beautiful boy, your mate is safe.

Play with my Riley and be happy as I am still crying hours later.

You did the right thing under the circumstances.I know in situations like these People blame themselves but any guilt and blame is false as it was not your Fault.That may seem little consolation to you at the moment I know.Think of it this way as you still have something very valuble!!!That something very valuble is your life!!!You still have your life and will be able to go on and do much good with it for other Animals. Tonymc

How do I explain this to his owner though, if I drove past they may have gone home, I am so upset I know I should not blame myself but I do. Poor Mika was only 12 months old and so beautiful. If it wasnt for me he would not have even come near the vehicle. I just feel so damn guilty.

:o Oh, what a horrible thing to have happened :eek:

:D to Isaviz, don't play the 'what if' game because if you hadn't been there both dogs could have been hit by a cars and left to die on the road. You were doing the right thing and no one is going to blame you for that.

Go give your babies a hug and get some chains for you and your neighbours fences!

had you not been there both those dogs might have run across the road and either both been killed or caused a horrific accident.

This is not your fault isaviz and you did everything you could by taking Mika to the vet and then calling his owners.

Be glad that those imbecils (for want of a stronger word) did not hit you as well.

Ohh sweety don't blame yourself. Accidents happen like that in split seconds. Must be awful for you and my sympathy to you .

One of my biggest fears is a car hitting a dog. As a child I had a few experiences of this happenning before my young eyes. It is horrific and shocking. Three at different times all got killed by cars. I grew up wondering if it was a dog's fate?

I write to try and share with you the horrible shock it is to see a dog killed by a car. It is devestating and shocking.

Please don't blame yourself though. It is not your fault. It is one of those things that happened by unfortunate chance.

Be gentle with yourself because you may well be be suffering shock.

Edited by Katey

Whoever let them out is at fault, even the scum that hit him and didn't bother to stop was possibly at fault by driving too fast...........so never ever blame yourself for doing a good deed and trying to help two straying dogs.

Both could easily have been killed on the road if you hadn't saved one of them.

You came close to being hit........doing a good deed.

Take it easy on yourself.......any one of us would have done exactly the same thing. Imagine how you would feel if you hadn't stopped and just kept driving? You did the only thing any caring person would do.

:eek::o

RIP Mika :D

I am so sorry, please don't blame your self.

sending heaps of :thumbsup: tybrax.

A DOG FOR JESUS.

(WHERE DOGS GO WHEN THEY DIE)

I wish someone had given Jesus a dog as loyal and loving as mine.

To sleep in his manger and gaze in his eyes and adore him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood his faithful dog would have followed him all

through the day.

While he preached to the crowds and made the sick well and knelt in the garden to pray.

Its sad to remember that Christ went away to face death alone and apart,

with no tender dog following close behind to comfort his masters heart.

And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn how happy he would of been.

As his dog kissed his hand and barked it's delight,for the one who died for all men.

Well, the Lord has a dog now l just sent him mine, my pal so dear to me.

And l smile through my tears on this first day alone, knowing they're in eternity.

Day after day, the whole day through, whatever my road inclined, four feet said

"Wait, l'm coming with you" and trotted along behind.

RUDYARD KIPLING.

how terribly shocking and sad. For heavens sake dont beat yourself up..you were doing what was the comapssionate and responsible thing to do. The dogs could well have been hit and died a long and painfull death alone, the owners may never have known what happened.

Cannot understand people who dont stop.....I alway slow down if I see dogs on the side of the road and have stopped for dogs that have been hit by others.

Be kind to yourself.

isaviz - Oh its not your fault :D Not at all!

I can't tell you not to feel that way, as no matter how many times someone says it, it won't change how YOU feel.

Just remember that you were trying to do something good. To help them both. You were doing a good deed. The owners will understand.

There should be more people like you around!

:cry:

Isaviz,you did what I would hope someone who knows my dog would do if ever she was out on the road and I didn't know it.Most people,I'm afraid,would have kept on driving.Like Alibear said,there should be more people like you.

You had absolutely no way of knowing that some idiot would come tearing past at that exact moment.You could NOT have predicted that.You were doing the right thing by stopping and in the event,doing it at some risk to yourself.

I could not have continued driving past the dogs.I would have done exactly the same thing you did.

I once saw a three legged large breed mongrel running alongside the road in a driving rain.I waited until I had passed the dog to decide to pull over and try to help him.I was about a 1/4 of a mile past him by then.I pulled the car over and by the time I went back down the road,he had crossed it and was hit by an elderly lady who kept going.I was able to phone a nearby emergency vet who came and got him,but he died two hours later.For a long time,I tortured myself with thoughts of:if only I had pulled over immediately,he would not have crossed the road at that exact moment and been hit.If only I had been quicker to react.It was my fault since I was the only one who actually pulled over,everyone else kept driving.

Who would have known that this particular lady in that particular car wouldn't have slowed down for the dog.The only thing you can do is the right thing,you can't control what anybody else does.

Big hugs for you.I know it hurts.If it had been my dog,I'd be glad you cared enough to try to help.

Oh, I'm so sorry for your pain, what a horrible thing to happen. :)

Have to say if I was the dog's owner I would be so grateful that you were there to try and help, and be with my precious pet in their final minutes, and not let them die by themselves at the side of the road. It wasn't your fault they were out in the first place, you were just trying to help. It may have happened even if you weren't there at all and the dog would have died alone and in pain. :D

:cry: