Clipping Black Nails

hopenfox

:laugh: Do you really want to know?

This past week D has had his nails done everyday :thumbsup:

If you are really worried, but still want to do it yourself grab a pen light and shine under the nail to see where the quick is and then clip even more before that. It isn't a matter of how much you take off, but how far away from the quick it is :thumbsup:

My dog is brilliant with having his feet handled so I'm able to clip very close to the quick.

Do a search on the forum as there are some other great tips and techniques.....

Some tips near the bottom of this page.

ETA: For Duke (the only black nailed dog I have) I roll him on his back and look underneath the nail. You can see where there is white stuff under the nail and where it is black only. If you cut to the white part you seem to be safe. :thumbsup:

Edited by molasseslass

That link is brilliant, ML! Thanks for that :laugh:

I haven't ever cut Jack's nails ... his toe nails wear down naturally through walking and he chomps on his own dew claws if they're getting long or sharp. Should I let him continue to do this, or should I be cutting the dew claws?

I handle his paws all the time, checking between the pads during and after walks etc, just in case I need to get him used to having his toe nails trimmed one day. :thumbsup:

My Rotti's nails are usually kept short by her walking on concrete. We use a Dremel (tool) on my Bordeaux and have been very happy with it - it's better than cutting hers with nail clippers, they are big and very hard and I've yet to find a set of clippers that I like using on her. She's happy with the Dremel and so am I.

Takes Two of us to do Alys nails. Have to lay her on her bac kand rub her tummy while the other clips her nails. Or I just ask the vet to do it... For some reason she just stands there and lets them :thumbsup:

My dogs wear their nails down by when they go for walks they go on hard surfaces, and when they are home, they have concrete and scoria, which acts like a pumis stone, I only ever have to cut the newborn nails, then never again, because of the above. :thumbsup:

Wow, molasseslass! Thanks, what a great page - so clear and easy to understand.

For Duke (the only black nailed dog I have) I roll him on his back and look underneath the nail. You can see where there is white stuff under the nail and where it is black only. If you cut to the white part you seem to be safe. 

Great suggestion...I'll be looking for the white part next time I need to clip Fox's nails.

ETA; kittyhawklee - My vet charges from $7 - $13 to clip claws. Just let them know you only want that done, so they don't charge you for a consultation as well.

Edited by hopenfox

• 2 months later...

How do you get the dogs used to the noise of the dremmel tool?

and for those that clip, what style of nail clippers do you all use? i use the pliers style one,love it,but theres some kind of swivel thing that sticks out on one side near the blades, ime guessing its some kind of cutting guide never figured it out Lol :laugh: if anyone knows what that is and how to use it ..ide love to know :love: .

Edited by Sirmonsta

My ex-vet (overseas) was a great fan of flip them over and do it from underneath so that you can see where the cuticle ends...good excuse for a tummy rub too. I still use the technique even with white claws as I find you get a better, more natural angle to the claw than doing it from front on.

I do one of two things (always had black nailed dogs!):

If I can see a bit that is 'hooked' and looks thinner than the rest, I cut that bit. Otherwise, I just cut a little bit, as I am always worried about hitting the quick :laugh:

Haven't cut it yet!

i use the pliers style one,love it,but theres some kind of swivel thing that sticks out on one side near the blades, ime guessing its some kind of cutting guide never figured it out

Yeah, that is a cutting guard so you don't cut too far. But of course it is only effective if the dogs nails are X far or more away from the quick. I don't use that little doohicky...

We use a Dremel (tool) a little at a time. If you do happen to go to far you will just get the tiniest drop of blood. The heat of the Dremel seems to stop it from bleeding.

I did take a while to get him used to it. I just did a couple of nails a day and slowly he gave up worrying.

I use a dremmel, too. It's not too noisy as you use the lower settings. I showed it to Oscar and then turned it on with lots of pats and praise for the first time. Next time, went ahead and he was happy enough so I did all paws. No probs!

Only do it for aesthetics- poodle nails with clipped paws can look like talons. Never did it with other short-hair breeds/ crosses we've had- just walks on footpaths etc.