For Itchy Scratchy Dogs

KOE

Oliver Kim and Elka have been real scratchers since it got really hot always itchy and scratching so today instead of Fidos I put 1 1/2 caps of homebrand wool wash in the hydrobath and washed them in that. They have not scratched all day.

that is interesting, does that mean they are sheep?

:cool:

That means my horse is a sheep too.

:D

Actually, my DIL has convinced me it's the best stuff for horses, so why not dogs?

When I run out of my present doggy shampoo, I'm going to give it a go. :rolleyes:

:worship:

Used 'Martha Gardiner Wool Wash' on an Afghan years ago, no itchys and kept her coat in great condition! When I was showing a number of Affies I used different shampoos on different dogs - 1 - Johnsons Baby Shampoo, others made the coat seem 'claggy'. 2 - Wool Wash - stopped 'fly-away' coat and itches. Some were OK with a good dog shampoo, some had conditioner as well - a case of trial and error.

that is interesting, does that mean they are sheep? sorry I will disappear now

Oliver Kim and Oliver say BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :worship: :cool:

Their coats are also shiny :rolleyes:

isavis

Mine too this year........coats have gone really dull and dry to the touch, all are itchy and have scratched so much around the shoulder/wither area,the hair has actually broken off.

I know it's not fleas and I thought they might be lacking some fatty acids, so bought them some Megaderm to add to their diet.

I will give the wool wash a go though..........what brand did you use?

Did use Marther Gardner's Wool Wash many years ago but then found out that Eucalyptus is toxic to dogs. :( As we did wash regularly, we ceased using and now only use shampoos and conditioners that are labelled appropriate for dogs.

Same applied for the flea rinse we used. It was actually a sheep dip and it was poisonous if not used correctly. Now I firmly believe don't use any product unless it is approved for the use you want. :mad

For dry itchy skin, try a food specific for allergy dogs like the Supercoat Special Care. Great for hot spots and sensitive dogs.

Good luck.

I use to own a hydrobath business and I swear by Marther Gardiner's Wool Mix.. It was fantastic for all dogs and it got the "white's" very white indeed... I also use "puppy shampoo" from big bubble.. Both fantastic products and extremely cheap!

Cheers

Meredith

LOOK what I found when I googled Martha Gardiners Wool Wash;

Hey, Martha Gardner's Eucalyptus Wool Mix is the best dog wash stuff ever!!

ricey and Hobbes (yeah, "master", thats why I stink like a gum tree)

Posted by: Jed 11th Mar 2004 - 09:19 AM

Martha Gardiner's Wool Mix contains bleach, is not the correct PH for dogs.

Plenty of people use it without problems - but some people find after a while the dog develops a skin condition - which is deep seated and difficult to clear - and often, people don't realise the cause.

And - some vets recommend it. Mind you, a lot don't.

Fidos, Aristopet, or any of the proprietary flea shampoos do the same job, without causing any problems to the dog.

Sorry, but Wool Mix is right up there with "Maltese Terriers" for mine.

Posted by: Steve 11th Mar 2004 - 10:45 AM

Wool wash has caustic soda which strips the oil out of the wool and therefore the fur and the skin.

Better to use homebrand baby shampoo with a drop of eucalyptus oil or a dog shampoo especially if you bathyour dog often.

I tried a dog shampoo with eucalytus and my dogs scratched MORE and their coat went very stringy didn't work for me but Aloeen shampoo is great especilly for senitive skin ,I pay more for their shampoo than my own ----who's toip dog not me :happydance2::happydance2: Glorybea