Kennel Cough

booboo

It's been a long time since I had one with kennel cough, didn't last very long but it was only a mild case.

Have you tried giving him some cough medicine? Benylin (if you have it over there) is effective and safe to give them.

Hi

One of my dogs recently had KC and it took about 1 1/2 weeks for him to get over it.

He coughed up some green phlem so the vet gave him some antibiotics for a chest infection but other than that he said to just give him the chance to rest. The vet also said that cough medicines didn't do anything but make the owner feel as though they were doing something useful but on the other hand heaps of dog owners swear by them.

I hope he feels better soon.

Booboo I adopted a dog (long time ago) and he came with a serious case of KC :rolleyes: I was told to give him 1/2 teaspoon of childrens cough medicine (Benadryl). He was off his food too, and he also had the cough for a couple of weeks. BTW he was a mini poodle.

Both Cougar and Chelsea picked it up earlier last year whilst in boarding... despite both being vaccinated against it. Cougar was 10 at the time and actually recovered faster than Chels (who was about 18 months old)... both took about 1.5 weeks to get over the worst of it, but it was about 2 more weeks before Chelsea was back to her usual nutty self. I also used Benadryl.. it didn't lessen the time they had it, but did make it more comfortable for them (and me at night!)

At one stage I had some dogs vaccinated and some not and almost all of them got Kennel Cough and all were the same. I don't think vaccinating did anything.

We gave ours Benadryl on vets advice and over the next two weeks all were well again.

Leila has had it, first time it seemingly went away after anti-botics but then the next week it had developed into bronchitis.

Turbo had it when we first got him too and was sorted out after anti-botics.

Typically if you notice the signs straight away and get on to it they get over it pretty fast.

Both my kids are vaccinated against kennel cough now.

Sounds like you did the right thing by having the vet check him out. Being vaccinated's no guarantee against getting kennel cough (KC) anyway. My boy came home with KC after being in kennels for about a week, despite being vaccinated. Sounded like he was trying to cough up something.

My understanding is it's much like the flu in humans- you're more likely to catch it if you come in contact with lots of people (like dogs at a kennel). Like the flu, you can only vaccinate against some "strains" and the virus keeps ahead of the vaccines.

Dog was fine after a week. I was away at the time: Vet prescribed antibiotics and the OH gave them. Not sure they're necessary as antibiotics kill bacteria NOT viruses and the dog wasn't so sick that he had both types of infection.

Hi, sorry to hear your dog is unwell. I had a similar experience to yours with an old cat. it turned out to be heart failure. Because your dog is old it might be prudent to rule this out by having a chest X-Ray, (to see if the heart is enlarged), this would also indicate whether there was a chest infection or pneumonia. I hope it is not either of these things, but you can get some treatment for it.

Just founds this thread after doing a search because I took my girl to the vet yesterday with the same symptoms - the cough did sound like she had something stuck in her throat. The vet checked her heart and lungs, all fine, said it is possibly kennel cough. This morning my other dog and my foster have both started coughing :thumbsup: (All dogs are vaccinated).

I realise that it will probably go away on its own, but am interested in what others have done to make their dogs comfortable.

Vet gave my girl an anti-inflammatory injection as they said her throat was very swollen, and also started her on antibiotics 'in case'.

Dont feel guilty about it BB!

We had a Kelpie x Blue Heeler that got KC, the vet told us that it is an airborn bacteria (feel free to correct if wrong) and that your doggie can get it if an infected dog was on the other side of the fence. Its an extremely prevalent infectious diseases in dogs, and you have done the right thing by seeing a vet.

Hope your baby gets well soon :thumbsup:

Edited by BoxerTrouble