What Makes A Good Instructor

someone who knows how to relate to people & dogs,and explain things in a simple and fun way, doesn't look down on others and always encouraging, helpfull, and who knows their stuff, thants what i find gives me the enthusiasam and encouragement to go out there and do it...

Obviously someone with knowledge of dogs and training methods that work, but I think that the most important things for a good instructor are:

Having good communication skills

Being approachable

Being Open to new ideas

Being flexible enough to adapt their training methods to suit individual needs

Just my opinion

Anne

All of the above, and al5o....

5omeone that ha5 good time management 5kill5.

The ability to think one 5tep ahead during the cla55

The ability to remain calm in all po55ible 5ituation5

Proffe5ional behaviour

I think that good communication 5kill5 (for an in5tructor) can be further de5cribed....

5omeone a55ertive enough to remain in control of the 5ituation, and not allo\/\/ one or t\/\/o cla55 member5 to dominate the le55on time, or allo\/\/ people out5ide of the cla55 to interfere.

5omeone that ha5 a loud voice that project5.

5omeone that can a5k the right que5tion5 to find out the need5 of all the cla55 member

5omeone that can li5ten to the an5\/\/er5 and under5tand them, and clarify tho5e an5\/\/er5.

5omeone that can read body language of the cla55 member5 and the dog5.

50meone that can motivate other5 and offer them a challenge.

5omeone that can help people adju5t their e><pectation5 to a reali5tic level, 5o that the cla55 member \/\/ill not be di5appointed \/\/ith \/\/hat they acheive.

5omeone that can give intruction in a \/\/ay that i5 ea5y for all of the the cla55 member5 to under5tand.

There i5 probably lot more, but that i5 all I can think of for no\/\/ :)

All the above

as far as class instructors go, i consider the most common failing is not remembering the dogs as individuals, not being able tell whether a dog has improved week to week or is consistently failing the same exercise. Have never seen a class instructor write notes on how each dog as a memory aid.

Second i have never seen an instructor advise someone to go back a class or two - i have done so with my own dog but on my own decision because i could see the problem. i know most owners just want to move up, but sometimes its important and quicker if the dog goes back for a while. Particulalry important in group training as some may take a few months off during school footy season etc then return to where they left off.

All of the above (great list, BTW, Greytmate) - and I'd just add/emphasize lots of energy and enthusiasm, to encourage people to up their energy and excitement levels, and hopefully improve their timing and motivation for their dog.

And it helps if you can act a bit - so you can model voice tone changes etc. for people.

Barb

Communication skills are sometimes overlooked. Just because you can train your own dog doesn't make you a good instructor. You must be able to help the individual to train their own dog and explain things so that they can be understood.

Alternatives must also be part of your training skills. What works for one dog may not work for another.

Keep it fun and interesting. Boring leads to lack of motivation and eventual drop out.

Just a few thoughts.

Noels.

- explain concepts and exercises at a level that suits members of the group

- be always aware of how dog-handler teams are performing and be able to provide 1-on-1 instruction within the exercise as the whole class does it

- be aware of difficulties that dogs may be experiencing eg: small dogs on cold winter nights may be working at temperatures 4 - 5C colder than at handler face level, the opposite in very hot weather

- to keep lessons broken into the attention span of the group say break 1 hour into between 3 and 5 sections

- keep the interest level up by providing variety

- speak to handlers with respect

- always carry a texta on the first night of each class, so you can mark the handlers hands "L" and "R" :thumbsup: (don't laugh - I used to do it so that everyone turned the same way)

- always write positive comments on the dogs card so that the handler can feel positive about their achievements, however small

Edited by AUSSKY

All of the above!

Wish I could find one like that. :)

most common failing is not remembering the dogs as individuals

Specially when the "instructor" makes it clear that they don't like, or seem afraid of, your particular breed of dog :D

The unrealistic expectation bit totally put me off the other one I tried years ago.

Consequently, almost totally self-taught here! ;)

I think a relaxed atmosphere is also important - too much hype etc does not suit all dogs/owners. I guess that translates to some patience being required. :)

:thumbsup:

Herding Guy: Hey YB - good thread I know I have to work on my time management skills too, my classes always seems to run over time

Hmmmm Herdng Guy, Yes I totally agree with this one. Even the whistle didn't work! BTW, did I tell you that I'm getting you a new watch for your birthday. :)

Very good thread, can I add mine:

The ability to "read" a class and modify to suit the sort of particpants or the mood of participants that day.

Good explanations and even better demonstrations. :thumbsup:

Being able to keep the exercises flowing, interesting and fun.

Having a complete "bag of tricks" of different methods and being able to use them effectively when needed.

Talks positively and encourages the person to do better.

Remembers names (I always seem to remember the dog's name but not the owner's)....aaah to have a good memory for names.

Dogdayz: Second i have never seen an instructor advise someone to go back a class or two

Dogdayz, not sure if you're an instructor but this can sometimes be extremely difficult as even being the most sympathetic explanations can hurt some extremely sensitive individuals. I graded a client once and was not able to pass her dog due to certain things and she left crying. I didn't see her back for weeks. Most people take it fairy well and see the positives and work on what they need to but some are not so optimistic.

Passion

Er Herding Guy, I'm pretty sure no one complain about you for lack of passion. :D

:mad:(:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All the above. In a 'normal' obedience class, my pet hate is seeing my own (or anyones) dog shut down or switch off because it been 'working' for too long, and has lost concentration, then motivation and the instructor is STILL trying to get the handler to do the exercise. Why isnt it common to say 'he's had enough?' You see the same bored dogs, week after week. I honestly dont believe a dog that hasnt been training for quite a long while can be expected to stay attentive in a class for an hour. Its such a shame as eventually you see the dogs switch off after a minute and you know that team wont be back to class at all pretty soon.

The only other thing I will add is even though dog training is very serious to many, classes where the instructor has a sense of humour and there is a bit of fun, always go the fastest for me. ;)

Its a tough job, you guys that do it are fantastic I reckon. All power to you! :D

Hmmmm Herdng Guy, Yes I totally agree with this one.  Even the whistle didn't work!  BTW, did I tell you that I'm getting you a new watch for your birthday.  :mad

Oh, is that what the whistle is for....I thought your kettle was boiling

Er Herding Guy, I'm pretty sure no one complain about you for lack of passion.

No, I guess not and you saw me toned down. :(

Lol Herding guy you and i should never run a trainig seminar together they would be there till midnight lol I tend to get so enthusiastic and passionate i easily lose track of time poor summer school didnt get home till after dark last week.

This is a great list do people mind if i use some of their comments un named in a handout for our club on what makes a good instructor.

Hedds i agree reading the class and the dogs and handlers levels is a tough one knowing when to stop is an important tool too. I have just been writing up some stuff and thast one of the big things im finding hard to get across the need to break and give the dogs a rest is soo important. You learn so much more in short spruts of concentration than long dreary sessions whether you are human or dog

yb

What makes a good instructor the list so far

Passion / Enthusiam: top of the list without it your not going to enjoy instructing for long

good communication skills. There is no point having soething to ay if you cant get the message across be able to communicate what you want and in a way the recipient can understand s vital Also being rsectful of your class treat others as you wishthem to treat you

Patience: Not every person or dog is a high flyer when it comes to learning new skills so having the patience to try a few different things and tak them step by step is important.

Knowledge: You can never learn enough about any craft and keeping up with whast happening via readin attending seminars and workshops not only expands you knowledge but gives you an oppurtunity to talk to other trainers that may have a lot of experience in an area you dont

Time management.: Making sure there are plenty of breaks for dogs and handlers. time mangaement also means knowing when to finish for the day Passion and enthusiam can often get in the way of this especially when others in the group are the same

Keeping it fun and rewarding: Being able to keep a class interested and making sure they are also geting rewarded for their efforts Breaking exercises down not just for the dogs sake but the handlers too

Working with whats available: Being able to work with what the handler is giving you also with what they are willing to do. Being able to switch methods when something isnt working and having lots f options to try

relaxed atmosphere: Being able to kep things relaxed so that learning can happen often we spend a lot of time worrying about teh dogs state of mind we forget the handlers need to relax too.

Sense of humour able to see the funny side of things laugh at your own mistakes

Hows that so far

Edited by yogibear