Brodie

Crysti_Lei

It was january 2004, an adverage day, when my Nanna called me. What she asked changed the course of my life forever.

"Do you want a Saint Bernard?"

"Yes!" Was my immidiate answer. As the story went, Irene had taken you, a 4yo St Bernard from your owners home where you were tied in a vegie patch in the heat, with ony kibble, if you had water, you were lucky. here you were regularly attacked my there pair of GSD with numerous scars to prove it, but what was worse was what the flys had done to you. You nose was raw from the tip to halfway up you muzzle, this and the fly struck pressure sores on each paw was covered in maggots. Irene had had you for a few weeks, removing the maggots with tweesers, bathing you (she was a profesional groomer) and feeding you everything you may have ever dreamt of, but now she was ready to re-home you.

I met you that night, i remember like it was yesterday, even when we knocked on the wrong door because i wrote the address down wrong, but eventually we found you. We let ourselves in theough the gate and knocked on the door. it wasn't untill you stood up that we saw you through the screen door.

You were massive! Not to mention beautiful. As Irene let us in, you were so gentle, leaning up against us as we patted you, rolling over for a belly rub, showing us all your tricks; giving your paw, sit and drop. Daniel and i decided there and then that you would be ours.

A few weeks later on the 17th of Feburary, the same day your knew daddy left for army training, i brought you home to my Mums house, it was a horrible day for you, it was one of the hottest days Perth had seen that summer (it was that when every ones air-con konked out) and in my mums little house, surrounded with wimdows, it was an oven. Not to mention, you were on heat.

But we prevailed. Over the three weeks untill you dad made the decision to quit the army and come home, we had some great times (like when you tore down Mums fence and gate when i went out, and i got it fixed with out ever telling her :banghead: ) and we becaume best friends. You became my Baby Bear.

When your Daddy came home we moved into his parents house, where you have Roxy and Rusty to play with. There were very few dog rules in this house, so every peice of furniture was yours for that takeing, after what you had been through, who was i to deny you. The next few years there were hopefully the best of your life; friends, your Daddy, your Mummy, huge family and not to mention Air-con in every room.

We had great times as a family, you were always up to make us laugh. Just a few of you antics worth a mention are: first and formost, the bin lid on your head, only you could pull that one off with such innocense. Also Running through the doggy door and taking it with you every time, the countless times we came home to find you laying on the couch, covered up to you elbows in pond scum, and the maddies you did with Rusty and roxy in tail (who knew a Saint could be so agile).

i must tell you now how proud i was of you for putting in so much effort at obiediance classes. you picked up everything as if ut was second nature. Despite how scared you were of all the other dog, you put on a brave face and made me proud, it took a long time but eventually you got less scared and we were able to train so close to the group. You are so special, and i am so proud of you.

Eventually, last August, our little family moved into out own little house. Though Rusty still came to visit occasionally, you only had us. Then a few weeked later i started working, and you were alone all weekend, but you never made any trouble, you were always good. Except that time you got out and picked up by the ranger, but he put you back in the yard and even said what a good girl you were.

It was early December when you went off your food and i took you too the vets, but that tests we did didn't show anything conclusive, so we left it.

In the mean time, we got you a friend, Mikki, you liked him but he wouldn't play with you. Even though i told you off aswell, i know it was him that ate the budgies on Christimas day, i had to be fair, but you took the lecture well, with dignity.

On the 30th of December, you got sick again, so we went back you that Vet. Over the next three weeks you could have thought you were a pin cushion, so many blood test, so many urine tests, in the end we had to presume it was lymphoma.

We gave Mikki back on the 7th of January, and you continues to get worse. You wnet 4 days wit hout eating, in the end i had to seed you salami by hand. We eventually, on friday the 13th, we got you some medication: Steroid, to lower you Calcium, and you did feel better, thought you would only occasionally eat and it would only be chicken wings, but i didn't mind hand feeding you every 30 mins, what else is a mummy for.

On the Wednesday i took a chanse and booded you into the Groomer for the following week and organised a photographer for the Friday after. I didn't realise that you had so little time. That night you were so hot, we knew that with hyour panting something wasn't right.

It was the next morning, when you climbed up on the bed to be with me (something that you never did) i knew that you were scared and that you have very little time left. I spent that morning 6:30 to 10:00am holding you on the living room floor. We laid together so peacefully for so long, i told you every thing i was sorry for: loosing my temper through the years, not being able to do more, that you had to have such a horrible forst 4 years. But i also told you every thing that i was glad for: What such a good girl you were, that you came to us, that you were the best dog that i could have.

Though i did ask you to hold on for another few days so we could immortalise you forever in photographs, as the moring progressed i realised how sick you were and re assured you that if you wanted to, you could let go, i had said all i needed to and i was ready, you didn't have to hold on. That seemed to be a turning point.

After 10:00 i tried to get you moving, out to the toilet and out to drink. Through at first you seemed some what ok, you wouldn'y leave me and were still panting heavily, By 11am you could bearly walk. I called your daddy and asked home to come home as guik as he could. That was the last time you looked happy, i thing you knew, you looked up at me on the phone, paws elagently crossed and you smiled. It was the longest five minutes of my life, waiting for your daddy. Watching you, excited as you could be, struggling to stand and regularly toppling over as you waited by the door. It got to the stage that fell out the front door as daddy pulled uup the drive.

You were quite happy to get in the car and considerably able (dispite me having to lift in you back end) compared to five minutes later when it came to getting you out. Your Daddy had you lift you, and when on the ground, you couldn't walk. Together, your Daddy and i, carried you in, where you calpsed on the waitng room floor. We waited an agonising eturnity for the Vet to see you. We carried you in to the consult room on a stretcher, where you laid, panting, but calmly.

The vet looked you over and explained to us that You cancer had probably developed in your brain or spinal chord and there was nothing that we could do to help you that wouldn't extend your pain. So we decided to euthanise you there.

It was imortant to me that i took you collar off, i wanted you to die as an equil, not as our pet.

At 11:45am you didn't flinch as the needle went in, you were so brave, you slowly went to sleep, in the same position that you slept every night.

And then you were gone.

There was then a daddy without a daughter, and a Mummy with out her baby bear, we have been lost ever since. The house is so empty, we have advoided being home. It tore my heart out to cancel our appointments. We are slowly realising all the little things we did for you sub-consiously, it breakes out hearts over and over again.

You were always so appriciative of everything you got, wether it was a little pat on you head or a huge BARF meal, perhaps because you went without for so long, but no other dog that i have ever know was ever so thankful as you.

You were a great friend, always the to hug and bury my face into you fur and cry. You'd give me wour paw if i ever needed it, and even when i didn't. You helped me do that house work, sure you made most of it, but you were always by my side as I cleaned it. You were so happy to have your nightly rough-house with your dad, again with you maddies around the kitchen island. You protected me and made my feel safe. You were my rock, we lent on each other.

I hope that your final two years with us, made up for the first four years of your life.

Time, hopefully, will make our loss of you easire to bare but i'm in no rush, you were too important to me. We love you, and we always will, you have a permanent place in our hearts.

Jimberlana Fancy Face, 'Brodie', my gorgous Baby Bear

15.05.2000 to 19.01.2006

Rest in Peace, forever.

Love from your Mummy and Daddy

Edited by Crysti_Lei

Crysti_Lei,

I am so very sorry over the loss of your baby girl.

I'm having trouble typing as the tears are flowing so fast. I had to stop and wipe them away while reading so I could still see the screen, but the comment 'A daddy without his daughter and a mummy without her baby bear' just started me absolutely bawling.

What a wonderful, special girl you had in Brodie. She will live on forever in your heart (and now in a part of mine as well). I believe that she will be looking down on you and will join you again one day.

Rest in Peace little big girl. Your mummy and daddy obviously adored you.

:banghead: I'm in the same boat as Tramissa, trying to type through tears.

Crysty, that was a beautiful memorial for a cherished girl.

I'm sure her last years erased her bad start to life.

many hugs from fifi & hounds xxxxxx

*sobbing*

You poor darling. I know she had the best years of her life with you and thanks you soooooo much for your kindness and company over the last two years.

I can't usually read this forum because I can't stop crying for hours but I've followed Brodie's story over the last week or so and I'm so sorry it ended here.

Recover well Crysti-Lei and I know you'll never forget your big beautiful girl.

RIP Brodie

My heart goes out to you for your very sad loss of your "Baby Bear". :( She was obviously a truly loved and treasured member of your family and the happiest years of her life were spent with you. :worship:

Your tribute to her was so heartfelt and extremely moving and I too am typing this thru a haze of tears. :):( ;)

Rest in peace Baby Bear and run free - she will be waiting for you at Rainbow's Bridge :banghead:

If I can see the keyboard, I want to thank you Crysti for sharing the tragedy of four years without you in her life and the ectasy of the two years you were in it.

Our fur babies are so forgiving and a big thankyou for making her last two years so wonderful, she and you were truly blessed.

I do not know why I come to this thread, as I always end up bawling as I am now.

God speed beautiful Brodie and watch over your loving Mummy and Daddy as they try to come to terms with their incredible loss.

Run free beautiful girl at the :banghead:

Love from Pat and the Mjosa Frenchies.

What a beautiful and moving tribute to your gorgeous girl, Crysti_lei.

If only I had wipers for my glasses so I could see what I'm typing.

Run free, Baby Bear, and take as many rubbish bins lids and doggy doors as you like :confused:

I am so very sorry for baby Bear's passing, Crysti Lei.

What a lucky girl she was, finally knowing love and devotion in her final years and to have passed to the Bridge in the loving arms of her mummy and daddy.

She will be watching over you both until the day you meet again.

Thank you for sharing her story and showing us what a beautiful soul she was.

Lots of hugs :) :rolleyes:

I too am trying to type through all the tears, what a beautiful tribute to baby bear, God paired you well, he gave her two wonderful years extra and you all the wonderful memories to treasure, may she run and play free of pain over rainbow bridge with all her doggy pals.

Be happy Baby Bear you gorgeous dog you were truly loved

:laugh:

Crysti_Lei,

I'm sooo sorry for your loss :laugh::laugh: as Im wading thru these tears my heart is breaking for you and your family.

Reading this had bought back so many memories I had of my Annie, she was PTS 3 weeks yesterday.

It may take awhile, but I have been told that eventually our hearts will stop aching???

I dont think this ever happen, I just pray each and every day that all our fur kids are running free at the :laugh: waiting for us to return to be a family again.

Take care and my best wishes to you and your family I know you both loved her alot

:laugh: ;)

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I actually read your story yesterday, and was unable to reply at the time, I am another one you had in tears. Treasure your memories with your baby bear. They are one of your most precious possessions now. Hugs to you and your hubby :D :eek: