Photos Of Hot Spots?

Teebs

hmm. no, i went and had a look (no camera - im an idiot!) It looks like the fur has just fallen out - smooth skin - with a few little red patches - it is annoying her and she is trying to chew it

Any ideas?

thats how the hot spots started on one of my girls.

She was itching herself down by her tail. I thought a flea must of been bothering her, but couldnt find anything there.

Next thing I know it turned into not one hot spot, but 2 of them - we had not seen them before then...but ewww they were not nice at all !!

I rinse Rusky with bicarb of soda, cools and heals. I thought this latest one was something worse like an allergy or something, it is so huge. Has responded well to the bicarb then I put a bit of that over the counter cortisone I think .2%, it is getting better.

Horrid things.

Edited by Rusky

Can someone please tell me if these are hotspots? The one that looks raw has just been chewed off by Kovu and used to look black like the other one in the photo. The one that is black has been there for quite some time...I thought maybe it was just because he lies on concrete a lot.

post-22-1138800089.jpg

Edited by shekhina

hmm. no, i went and had a look (no camera - im an idiot!) It looks like the fur has just fallen out - smooth skin - with a few little red patches - it is annoying her and she is trying to chew it

Any ideas?

i think we need more piccies, of first signs of hotspots, this is interesting

I know when my bitch first got hers.....she had a litter of 2 week old puppies. I took her off to the vet and he said it was probably from hormones as well as the changes in the weather (as it was going from hot to rainy and humid). They shaved the 2 areas she had on her rump and she had to take a course of antibiotics and have cream for it as well.

I wouldnt of said it was from too much protein as we are particular about the amount they get.

However, just to add...at the puppy seminar I went to on Sunday - the lady said that you can never have enough protein, and it is the calories that causes the problems with dogs. Now this confused me somewhat as I was always under the impression that too much protein was not good.

Guest cloverfdch

Warm humid weather can cause them and also dogs not drying off properly after being wet aswell. Diet is another factor, before changing to BARF Clover got alot of them. They are nasty things :D.

A Rotti came into the vets when we were in there one day and her whole back was covered in them, the owners did not know what they were so did nothing until things got out of control :eek:.

It looks like the fur has just fallen out - smooth skin - with a few little red patches - it is annoying her and she is trying to chew it

TB, if I remember correctly, the fur doesn't fall off with a hotspot. What you're describing sounds like an allergic reaction perhaps? If you're not careful, it could possibly turn into a hotspot though.

Cloverfdch is right about humidity or damp skin being the start of them. Apparently there are certain bacteria that love the warm, damp skin of dogs and thrive on it. This agitates the dog which scratches while the bacteria continues to thrive.

It often starts as a little spot and within a couple of hours you can have a huge festering wound which needs intervention. A vet would shave the area (usually chaving half the dog at the same time!), clean it and give antibiotics. At least $60 thank you very much.

What I used to do is clip the hair as close to the skin as possible, clean it out with some dilluted dettol or any doggy wound product you might have and make sure it stays dry. I've never tried bicarb but sounds like a great idea. It usually scabs over in a day or two.

The trick is to catch it early.

Shek, I'm no expert but the pic you posted does not look like a hotspot to me.

I have found after many years of thinking humidity causes hot spots, that in my case at least it is definetely diet related. One of my guys gets them if he eats beef and another gets them because she lacks enough zinc in her diet. Since I have been feeding chicken based diets and supplementing with zinc tablets I have not had one single hot spot.

I might also add that when they used to get them I would clean the spot with Listerine, dry it and then cover with white zinc cream. It clears them up overnight - no kidding!!! :D

It looks like the fur has just fallen out - smooth skin - with a few little red patches - it is annoying her and she is trying to chew it

Any ideas?

Could be what is sometimes referred to as "staffy mite"....scarcoptic (?) mange.

Take her to the vet.

Shek, I'm no expert but the pic you posted does not look like a hotspot to me.

Thank you very much for answering me :D

Do you think then it's just because he likes to thump himself down on the concrete? Also my house has no underlay (cheap housing department crap) so it's thin carpet straight to concrete. Would him dropping himself to the ground be causing these spots? They're only on his back legs.

thanks guys - The dog is a Lab - I am going to ring the owner today or tomorrwand see how it is - i will get her email addy and email this site to her - she can have a read -

She is an 8 year old Lab -

poor girl!