Proheart Hw Injections

Leenie

I would NEVER use nor recommend this product. There are too many unexplained deaths...particularly in the USA where they have to be reported. In Australia, it's supposed to be the same, but unfortunately, we have to rely on vets and dog owners to report "adverse outcomes" to the company itself and then it's supposed to report to the gov't regulator. I have to wonder how honest this process is b/c most vets apparently consider this product "safe" and the research I've done indicates almost the complete opposite: this product is dangerous and has resulted in canine deaths that cannot be otherwise explained.

IMO you're much better off with a monthly tablet. :thumbsup:

My vet has refused point blank to use this product for almost 2 years, since 2 dogs he used it on ended up contracting and dying from auto-immune haemolytic anaemia soon afterwards.

His attitude was that 2 dogs might not seem much statistically, but they were 2 very much loved dogs that died painfully and needlessly. (And the research backs this up as a "side-effect")

Interesting to read all the replies in this topic. Sam is due for yearly vaccination in early April. I was going to put him on the yearly heartworm injection than as well but will reconsider it and do some net research. I have reminders re: all his medications etc. put into Microsoft Calender so no problems about forgetting them. I would be interested to know if any other JRT owners have had dogs with an adverse reaction to heartworm injection.

Regards Glenda

IMHO we already inject far too much into our dogs...mainly for the owners convenience. The yearly heartworm can and does have adverse effect on some dogs ---- the risk therefore is that if your dog is one of those who has an adverse reaction there is no easy fix.

All medications have possible adverse reactions and it behoves people to check these out when your pet is prescribed. If the medication is given daily and there is a reaction it can be stopped immediatley. something that continues to be effective for 12 month....well use your own immagination

for example:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...&C=31&A=553&S=1

We use the Proheart tablets, red box ( 40kilo dogs) and break it up into quarters and give each dog a quarter tablet, I hope they have been properly protected??

A vet clinic just told me about this injection as we have a 3 month old pup now.

Does anyone know of any web sites for more info re the injection?

My other dogs have been on Proheart tablets for a couple of years now so may think about changing their brand & type so the worms don't become immune.

can anyone reccomend a tablet/injection suitable & VERY cheap to give to 5 dogs all approx 6 kilos- 7.5 kilos.

Thanks

Disgustingly old fashioned am I..

Use only DEC daily.

Enough drugs are pushed into our dogs, ones with half lifes that will be as extensive as these are NOT in my list of needed meds.

dianne

I have used this injection for the past 5 years on all my dogs [ 4 ] with no side effects at all. It cannot be used on puppies. The younger ones were 12 months old when they received it. They had to wait until they were at least 9 months old.

When this issue was raised on another Forum I contacted several Vets who work in the drug testing area and it was news to them. As the four of them pointed out me [separately] Australia has the most rigid Drug Testing Laws of any country and after the "Decaflea' incidents in the mid 1990's they have become more stringent than ever. Nothing is released on the market without undergoing very carefully regulated trials - even if does come through the USA.

Nothing negative has made its way into their inter-Vet magazines, news letters or chat rooms. So evidently those Vets whose clients died from complications after receiving the injections have not bothered to let their colleagues know of the problems they have experienced with the Pro heart HW Injection. They have kept it very quiet.

I have no problems with this injection to date and I will continue using it.

We use the Proheart tablets, red box ( 40kilo dogs) and break it up into quarters and give each dog a quarter tablet, I hope they have been properly protected??

A vet clinic just told me about this injection as we have a 3 month old pup now.

Does anyone know of any web sites for more info re the injection?

My other dogs have been on Proheart tablets for a couple of years now so may think about changing their brand & type so the worms don't become immune.

can anyone reccomend a tablet/injection suitable & VERY cheap to give to 5 dogs all approx 6 kilos- 7.5 kilos.

Thanks

Um, IMO any heartworm preventive is "cheap" when compared to the price of not using a preventive...or using a sub-standard choice. Either your dog dies a horrible death or you spend an absolute fortune on arsenic treatment and perhaps your dog doesn't die a horrible death.

I know which scenario I prefer.

BTW - Interceptor is "cheap"...as is most everything to do with small dogs. I have one who is very cheap to keep...IMO.

Um, IMO any heartworm preventive is "cheap" when compared to the price of not using a preventive...or using a sub-standard choice. Either your dog dies a horrible death or you spend an absolute fortune on arsenic treatment and perhaps your dog doesn't die a horrible death.

There are other alternatives to standard preventatives and arsenic treatment! Harsh chemicals are not the only way...

There are other alternatives to standard preventatives and arsenic treatment! Harsh chemicals are not the only way...

Such as?

Correct me also if I am wrong but arsenic is used to treat heartworm, not prevent it.

Guest LittlePixie
Correct me also if I am wrong but arsenic is used to treat heartworm, not prevent it.

You're right :o but I'm pretty sure that's what she meant.

As in, IF your dog gets heartworm, then it either dies a grisly death, or you spend a fortune on arsenic treatment and maybe it doesn't...