Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ollie went in for chemo this morning and we got the final results of all the blood work done last week... We were waiting on the T4 (thyroid test)...

His thyroid is barely functioning... Vet said this is why he has put on so much weight in the last few months and that it is probably due to the chemo for the cancer...

I was thinking 'when will it end for my poor boy'... But the vet said this morning that the drugs he needs for his thyroid will make him lose all the excess weight and his energy levels should rise as well :laugh:

So more good news...

Cheers

Jodie

that is very positive news.

A quick question : is Ollie still on pred? as that can affect the blood resulst for thyroid function. ""Prednisone/Prednisolone use is likely to change liver enzyme blood testing and interfere with testing for thyroid diseases.""

"TOTAL T4 CONCENTRATION

Total T4 concentration (TT4) is the amount of total (free plus protein-bound) thyroxine measured in the blood. It is the predominant hormone made by the thyroid gland. While it has some biological activity itself, its major purpose is to be converted to T3, the more active thyroid hormone, in the peripheral tissues of the body. The free portion of T4 is the active available form of the hormone, while the protein-bound portion serves as a reservoir for hormone in the circulating blood. The protein-bound portion of TT4 can be lowered by non-thyroid illnesses, other hormones (cortisol) and certain drugs. Drugs that can lower protein-bound T4 (and therefore TT4) include steroids (cortisone, prednisolone, prednisone, etc.), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (phenylbutazone and others), anticonvulsant or seizure drugs (phenobarbital), certain potentiated sulfa drug antibiotics and potentially other drugs. Therefore, a dog with normal thyroid gland function could have a low TT4 due to lowering the protein-bound portion of TT4. It is very important that the veterinarian evaluating a dog for thyroid function know about all medications and any other medical conditions that the dog might be suffering from. Results of the measurement of TT4 can be misleading if one of the above mentioned conditions exist.

from: http://www.goldstockfund.org/Edu/Health-Thyroid.htm

edited to add: that you just need to monitor his reaction to thyroxine carefully. Casper ( hypothyroid) had his T4 levels tested every 8 week initially until we got his weight down to normal and his meds were adjusted as his weight went down. Overdosing can make the patient agitated and irritable. ( I have this on good authority from a friend of mine who has hashimotos and is on thyroxine ).

Edited by dogbesotted

Thanks all...

Helen,

He is only on Macrolone, apart from the holistic therapy and the chemo...

Our vet is going to do blood work every fortnight for the thyroid meds to make sure that Ollie is getting what he needs... (Ollie has blood work each Tuesday for 2 weeks and then a week off, for the chemo, so the vet will use this blood test to keep an eye on the thyroid)...

I have tried to find some info on the net but did not really understand it all... I will after I talk to the vet later today and he explains it all to me...

Cheers

Jodie

Ollie's new meds for the thyroid are working so well...

Today, we walked 2.5km - amazing...

Just last weekend, this same dog could only walk about 500m before being so exhausted that he needed to go home...

It is just so great to see him wanting to play and wrestle with the boys again, after seeing him so tired for so long...

Just had to share our wonderful news again

Cheers

Jodie

Ollie's new meds for the thyroid are working so well...

Today, we walked 2.5km - amazing...

It is just so great to see him wanting to play and wrestle with the boys again, after seeing him so tired for so long...

Oh Jodie, I'm so thrilled that Ollie Dog is feeling like playing again and is so much more energetic. It must be really uplifting for you to see him that way again after all these past weeks of relative lethargia.

Please continue to keep us up to date, you just made my day :D

Hey jodie. im new to all this... but i have read your story about your little braveheart ollie.. i wish you and your little miracle all the best and continued improvement.. you both are a tower of strength,, determination and devoted love.. i do hope me and my blue girl can shine like you two..

shelbie :)