Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jodie

I have been shown how to put him back together. The chiro was sick of seeing us both and he has a habit of doing it at the last minute before a show. It happens when the other dogs jump on him the wrong way :D Poor little man. Anyway, i now just lift the back legs, stretch him out and pop the right place and bingo he's back together. A couple of days on disprin and he'll be fine. Untill the next time. It hasn't happened in at least 7 months , so he's been going along ok.

Maybe I can met Ollie boy next time. We are thinkign about doing a mad dash to look at doors , so we should be able to see you soon :o

Ollie's temperature was up yesterday (39) and he was a little flat...

Checked again last night and it was 39.3

This morning it was 39.7 (he has anitbiotics) but the vet is not happy, so he is off to hospital at 2.15pm today... I want to bring him home but they want him to stay there, so he can be monitored...

He is off his food (has been for a few days) but is still drinking his water. I think he would be better off at home where he will be with us... Instead of in the hospital where he will be alone overnight... Should I insist on him coming home with me, after he is checked out? (only if he does not need a drip or anything)...

Jodie

Oh just what i did not want to hear! Lucinda battled a high temp for months after her MCT surgery. we had a really really hard time getting it down to anything approaching normal. We came to the conclusion that it was those damned histamines ( not an infection)..you know how with a severe allergic reaction you get hot as well.

Blood tests perhaps to check white blood cell levels and lymphocytes and of course his electrolytes as he has been vomiting.

I am unable to think of anything else.

If it were me I would want my Lucinda home with me if it was at all possible. My vet has trusted me on a few occasions to have a very sick dog back with me at home as he trusts that i will follow his instructions and he trusts my judgement. I dont like the idea of them being alone overnight. Would not be quite so worried if the vet was a 24 hour staffed facility.

Sending prayers for Ollie, that this is just a little bump in the road.

Lucinda is not doing quite so well at the moment. So we will be taking each day as it comes. She has become quite frail.

Hugs

Helen

I really hope Ollie is feeling better StaffyLuv.

My boy has epilepsy and when he has a bad turn he has to go to the Dr's and I always tell them that i want to take him home because i will watch him allnight, where as at the vet they do shifts.... my vet is usually okay with this, unless he really wants to monitor my boy himself.

Perhaps you can ask your vet why he does not want Ollie going home, because it might be for a good reason... if not then i would insist

Lots of Staffy smooches are on their way to Ollie from my house.

Lucinda is not doing quite so well at the moment. So we will be taking each day as it comes. She has become quite frail.

Helen

Oh dear Dogbesotted, I'm saddened to hear that Lucinda is frail and tired of fighting... Despite all of your informative posts and insight into your dogs' ups and downs, I never picked up that she is so ill.... It is due to your "non complaining" nature I guess :thumbsup: Thoughts are with you.

This morning it was 39.7 (he has anitbiotics) but the vet is not happy, so he is off to hospital at 2.15pm today... I want to bring him home but they want him to stay there, so he can be monitored...

Jodie

Bugger, bugger, bugger :wave:

Hopefully you have him at home with you whilst I write and that this raise in temperature is nothing too serious in the scheme of things.

Thoughts to you both, as always.

Hugs

Helen

Oh Helen, give her big hugs and kisses from us... I hope she bounces back... They seem to do that don't they - go down so fast, then bounce back...

It took a bit of convincing but they have allowed me to bring him home this evening, when his temp went down to 39.3 again... He has to go tomorrow for more antibiotics... They are injecting it as the tablets do not seem to be doing anything... He also had something to help bring his temp down...

He still has not eaten anything but did have a little drink when he came home... If he stops drinking he has to go back into hospital... I have to call the vet if his temp spikes at all overnight (and I promised that I would)...

He is sleeping on the lounge behind me at the moment... Poor little man, he still wags his tail when you talk to him but his eyes are so sad at the moment... It just breaks your heart...

Helen, we will send heaps of good thoughts to you and Lucinda...

Hugs

Jodie

Morning all,

He had a shocker last night - pacing and panting for most of the night... I stayed up with him and when he finally went to sleep, it was with his head in my lap.

Ollie is still off most food - he will eat a milk arrowroot biscuit and has had about six of them in the last few days... Still drinking OK (the only thing that is keeping him out of hospital)... His temperature is still up and down like a yo yo - ranging from 38.5 to 39.9 at this stage...

He is still going to the vets each day to have two lots of anitbiotics injected. And has to go back and stay if his temp goes over 39.5 again...

Needless to say his chemo is on hold until he can fight this infection off.

He wanted to go for a walk this morning, so I took him out for a slow walk for about 15 minutes.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and wishes sent to us...

Jodie and Ollie dog...

My fave pic of the lad...

post-1950-1142815955_thumb.jpg

Sending Ollie dog strong, infection-fighting vibes. He's fought off every other bump , in the road (as dogbesotted put it) and will get over this one as well.

It sounds like you had a dreadful night. Here's hoping things are looking up as the day progresses.

Hugs to you all! :confused: Keep wagging that tail, Ollie :(

Jodie,

I have just been reading over Lucindas diary..her temp was between 39.6 and 40.5 for ages!!!!! that was back in Oct Nov 2002. So she made it through all that. November 2002 was when we went holistic only as she was going downhill so very fast it was frightening.

March 2003 she was still from time to time getting a high temp up to 40 a couple of times.

Thought this would help you be a bit more positive.

Hugs

Oh dear, sorry to hear you both had such a shocker of a night. Hoping he is a bit better today.

As for the photo :confused: He looks gorgoues in mauve :rofl:

He wouldn't be IN your bed in that pic, would he :(

Morning all,

Pampa, yes he is in my bed (I think he spends more time in it than I do :confused: )

Ollie's blood work is back and the only thing that was out of wack was one of the liver enzymes and some muscle wasting (I don't know how they work that out from a blood test - but they did)...

He went for a great walk this morning. But when we came home, he still would not eat anything...

Here is a list of what I have tried to tempt him with for the last week:

Ice cream, roast pork, rump steak, roast chicken, doggie chocs, mixed veges, custard, yoghurt and warm milo...

The only thing he will take is milk arrowroot or jatz bickies, and then he only has about 3 a day... He is hungry because he keeps going to his food bowl but once he smells it, he turns and has a drink of water instead...

I am (as is the vet) open to suggestions on getting him to eat a little bit of anything...

He has lost 2.2kg this week - that won't hurt him as he put on so much weight (about 5.5kg) before his non functioning thyroid was discovered...

If he is not eating by tomorrow, the vet wants to put him in hospital and put him on a drip... I don't want him to go to hospital - the thought of him locked in a cage all day is terrible... I know they take good care of them at the vet, but as I work from home, I can take better care of him here (well I think so anyway)...

Jodie

Edited by Staffyluv