Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chemo has been delayed yet again... :shrug:

He was supposed to have it yesterday but he came out in a rash all over his body and his eyes and ears were really red. He also had a temperature of 40.5. To top it off he is quite lame in his right front and rear legs - he started limping on them yesterday afternoon. I don't know what happened as he was fine on his walk yesterday, we walked for about 45 minutes and actually jogged for about 20 minutes.

My little trooper is on so many tablets, he has his usuals as well as antihistamines and antibiotics (just in case it is an infection). The vet seems to think that he has either come into contact with something or injested something that has made him sick. He was so sick by the time that I got him to the vet yesterday that I was in tears. But after the antihistamine, he started to pick up straight away.

So now we have to wait until after this course of tablets and have another blood test to see if he can have his chemo later next week.

He still smiles, chats and wants to go for a walk everyday (no walks for at least one week because of the lameness). :thumbsup:

Hoping and praying for better news next week...

Fingers crossed

Jodie and Ollie dog

We had the locum vet the other day when we went up. Our vet called us this morning and suggested that Ollie's allery reaction was in fact a histamine release. That is what the Mast Cell tumours do - release histamine and it looks like an allergic reaction.

I feel so much better after talking to him, he is such a great vet. He got back from his holiday with his family and when he saw that Ollie had been in, he was straight on the phone to see how he was.

He thinks that chemo can go ahead today or tomorrow. He also wants to change the chemo drugs that Ollie is using becuase he has come out of remission before he has finished the full course of chemotherapy.

Will update again after we see the vet today or tomorrow.

Jodie

Wow, what a great vet :laugh:

His explanation seems logical to me ( :rofl: )...

I'm sorry you had such a scare and lets hope our little trooper can get on with his chemo protocol and get it all over and done with ASAP.

Hang in there sweetie :rolleyes:

Thinking of you both *big tummy rub to Ollie dog*

Awe Jodie, 3 steps back, one forward, you guys will get there in the end, he's too much of a trooper to do it any other way mate :rolleyes:

Hope all goes well with the vet today/tomorrow babe. Special lick from Rosie for Ollie and a :laugh: for you from me.

Lots of Love

Riles & Rosie

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Helen, no he is not on anything to protect his GI tract. He is on antihistamines at the moment as well as a broad antibiotic (just in case it was more than a histamine release).

We just came home from a check up and our vet went all over him and we could only find the one lump now (that has to be good news - well that is how I am looking at it). He also decided to give Ollie his chemo.

I am glad he did as Ollie has missed so many chemo doses and I believe this is why the new lump has formed. Our vet wants to change his chemo protocol to try and put him into remission again. I will wait until I have all the information on the drugs before I make a decision to prolong this sort of treatment.

We had MacDonalds chicken nuggets for dinner last night - he woofed them down (naughty I know but a special treat now and then is good for the soul). And we had porridge with a little brown sugar for breakfast. No walks at the moment as his right legs are still a little lame (not too bad, just a small limp - usually when he gets up from resting). I miss our park walks together...

Helen, how is Lucinda going? You really should start a thread about her - we would love to see pics and updates.

This whole ride is so much easier being able to share it with others who know and or just care about the pooches.

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

Jodie,

IF Ollie is having a histamine release problem I would speak to the vet about something like carafate to protect the GI tract..the histamines can cause ulceration. I am not sure if slippery elm has the same effect..but I will check. At one stage when Lucinda was very bad she had bleeding , she was put on carafate ( she was already on antihistamines.)

The dear girl is slowing down...we get little ups tho and she is still eating with gusto - provided it is prime rump on the menu. Day by day we take it.

That is right pampa... No news is good news...

I am starting to think that I jinx us, every time I tell everyone how great he is going he seems to have a set back...

He is his wonderful bouncy self... Loving his walks and his food but mostly his humans... It is getting cold here in Canberra and OH wears a beanie in winter, Ollie loves to wait until he sits on the lounge, then he pounces on him, takes his beanie and OH chases him around the house for half an hour trying to get it back... It is a nightly ritual in winter...

I will try to get some more recent pics this weekend when we are doing more work in the yard, so I can post them... He looks great... He is still a bit on the heavy side but he has been very spoilt the last few months and pretty much getting whatever he wants...

He is due for chemo again next Friday, so hopefully his blood work next week will be good... His chemo has been delayed that many times that he is out of remission now... He has one more definite mast cell tumour but he also has a few lumps that we have not bothered testing... I don't want him to have anymore tests than he has too... His time with us is as precious as he is and not for being poked and prodded any more than is necessary...

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

Another update...

Ollie had chemo today... The vet said he was really naughty (he is usually very good) and now he has a bandage around both front legs because he jumped and bent one of the canulas (sp??) used to administer the chemo...

He is very happy to be home... He was talking all the way home in the car - I felt like he was telling me all about what happened today and he was not happy about it...

He is back on the macrolone (1 and half tabs once a day) and now he has to have antihistmine (polaramine - 2mg twice a day)...

He has been great the last week, his walks are full on - mostly running and trotting the whole 40 minutes we go for in the morning... I might try and reintroduce his afternoon walk and see how he goes... He is still losing the weight he put on when his thyroid stopped working, now he only needs to lose another 2.5kg and he should be fine...

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

:):rofl: Come on Ollie, come on, come on ...... !!!! :eek::)

Fantastic news. Well done Ollie. And especially well done Jodie, for all your time and care for Ollie. Good on you. :cry:

Many wishes for lots of good times to follow. :)