Staffy Pup,car Sick

Meggsie

My friend picked up her staffy pup Maggie this weekend and she seems to get car sick.Vomited all the way home.She also vomited the following day on another trip.Any suggestions or advice? will she grow out of it?

Any suggestions or advice? will she grow out of it?

it's not unusual for any puppy.....

Doing regular short trips so the puppy gets accustomed to travel.

Puppies usually get over it very quickly.

I have to be careful when I open the ute door or I end up with a ute full of dogs....they luv riding in cars.

dont take the pup for long trips and make sure it hasnt eaten for at least an hour or two (or it has been toilet) so there isnt food bouncing up and down. Keep the temperature cool and have a window open a little for fresh air.

start slow and she should grow out of vomiting :laugh:

My mum's dog sometimes gets sick on long trips - and she gives it a Junket Tablet before the trip - supposed to help firm up the stomach contents and keeps it down!

Seems to work.

Yes it does but the Junket tablet has to be given around 2 hrs before travel. If you give it to close to travel you will end up with Junket pudding all over your upholstery :laugh: (trust me, I know). I used this method with a bitch who always got car sick, eventually she didn't need it any more but was never particularly happy riding in the car. Ginger tablets (Travelcalm I think) from the health food shop are supposed to work but I haven't personally tried them.

Start with short trips to places the dog enjoys (such as the park) and work up from there. Obviously with a puppy, make sure the vaccination status is OK before going to public places though.

Cheers,

Corine

My pup used to get car sick as well but he has grown out of it (he is 5 months old now).

I used to not feed him at least 4 hours before the trip about he would still vomit some liquid...

Hopefully your friend's staffy will grow out of it too...

Like the others have said, lots of short trips, feeding in the car, playing with toys in the car (without starting the car) etc. Unfortunately for me Rosie STILL drools like a St Bernard no matter what I do. I sincerely hope the little tyke gets over it :thumbsup:

My german shepherd always has this car-sick problem, now she's already 2

she still can not totally get out of it

but now she's much better

1: We do not feed her 5 hours before the car trip (not even drinking)

2: try your best to drive the car steadily (my gsd always vomits when my husband is driving 'cause he drives the car very "aggresively")

3: feed her one ginger tablet half an hour before you travel

4: don't take a trip which is more than one hour

5: open all the windows

Hope it helps

A 'pet pack' - the airline dog carrier was great for our dog as he was getting used to the car. We borrowed one from a friend when he was a pup (they used it for a cat), then bought a bigger one later. Line it with newspaper and it hose it out after- easier than cleaning vomit out of the car. He grew out of the vomiting. We used to secure the carrier well in the car- for safety of people and dog. Good luck- a staffy puppy would be lovely, but mischievious, I guess.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I tried everything with Riley and nothing worked - some dogs grow out of it, others dont.

We use Maxalon tablets (From the vet ) which work really well for Riley with no side effects.

If the pup doesnt grow out of it, they might be something to look at later on.

Edited by wagsalot

Hi :thumbsup:

My advise is to try the junket it worked for my staffies I swear buy it. You can get it from any supermarket and you just give them the tablet an hour or so before travelling, it lines there stomach and settles them.

They will grow out it at some stage.

Good Luck

One of my dogs suffers from car sickness and unfortunately has not grown out of it, she will be 2 in May. Of the many times I tried the Blackmores travel calm ginger tablets it did work once. I am thinking it was a fluke though but it may work for your dog. As others have said try and make the car a pleasant experience for your dog.

I'll try that one Isaviz :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share today's drama with everyone

Today was Kapser's last week of Puppy school, so my daughter, Kasper and I set of for Albert Park lake which is about a 15-20 minute drive...as we are driving there I wonder if I should have rung to make sure it was on as I had missed the previous week....so we get there and no one is there (great) so I say to my daughter well we will just go straight home, no use getting Kasper out-let him play at home...we get a few minutes down the round and Kasper ;) in his car carrier and the smell was unbearable :mad so I drive a little way (by this stage the windows are fully down with me and my daughter's heads hanging out the window LOL and I see some council workers working (yes I know hard to believe) and they had a running fire hyrdrant...so I full up next to them and out flys the dog and I run up to the fire hydrant and begin to wash out the dog carrier...I'm sure they must of been wondering what this lunatic with a dog was doing :laugh: but believe me there was no way any of us would have made the 20 minutes home with that smell :thumbsup:

anyways Ill be trying those Junket tablets the next time I take a drive with Kasper :thumbsup:

I travel with my dogs alot and two of the little ones always used to vomit. They were actually fine on long freeway trips as there were few corners. Try to drive a few blocks to a friend's place and she'd be vomiting everywhere.

I found a puppy Booster seat that sits in the front passenger seat. It raises the dog up to the height of the window so they can see where they are going. It has two safety clips on straps to clip to their harnesses and two small dogs fit there comfortably (although my Kelpie girl has given it a try too.) It is soft sided and they love to snuggle into it. There is a mesh safety fron which velcro's on. Mine rest chins on this.

I have had no more spew sessions since I started using it. Its a nifty gadget too. It will fold down into its own base which is a storage suitcase. It has access pockets so you can store the dog's paraphernalia in the base while the dog travels up top. When you get to where you are going, you can take it off it's base (big velcro patches) and unfold a 2nd layer and it is a dog bed.

My little ones now compete to get there first as they like the view from the high seat.

Jo

They will grow out it at some stage.

Unfortunately, not all dogs do.

Some dogs just generally get car sick and never grow out of it. My aunty's dog was car sick his whole life - he passed away at 16.

Riley's 5 now and still gets sick after 15mins in the car if he hasnt has a car sickness tablet. He loves the car too, but he just gets motion sickness.

Edited by wagsalot

One of my bullmastiffs used to get soooo carsick she would start heaving as I put her in the car :rolleyes: She would vomit and vomit and was not good as the clean up was horriffic and we used to have to get her straight in the show ring. Thankfully she too grew out of it by about 10 months. She is still not brilliant in the car but is great in the dog trailer.

Is the stafford Maggie, a Vanstaff baby? If it is, she is my boys sister. We wandered which one was the car sick baby as we took them all to shows but one had thrown up and we didn't know which one. My boy thankfully is fine, he has had 2 trips to Sydney lately and has been fine :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ali

We heard this from a pet store owner last weekend. She doesnt know if it really does work or why it should but had tried it with some of her dogs and it worked. Try putting newspaper down underneath your puppy, so they are sitting on the newspaper in the car. For some reason unknown to any of us it helped her pups. We are going to give it a try as well, its worth a shot.

Cheers