Why Does My Puppy's Breath Smell Like A Bum?

I have a 6-8 wk old BC in care, who was found dumped in a plastic bag. She was malnourised and full of worms. Since she's been wormed and started being fed by me instead of her mum (last Saturday), her breath has started to *stink*. It smells like poo - and indeed she occasionally farts the same smell :) (but the smell from her mouth is stronger :o ).

I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems to indicate that something is amiss/unbalanced in her gut :)

I feed her puppy dry food and a barf mix made with chicken carcass, beef mince and Vets All Natural Complete Mix (Adult) (URL is here). She also gets chicken necks and the occasional liver treat.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong and how to fix it?

This is Lulu the day she arrived (one day after being dumped):

post-6387-1150443024_thumb.jpg

And looking a bit better two days later:

post-6387-1150443106_thumb.jpg

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said.... yoghurt.

I'd also recommend getting her off the dry food and just feed natural fresh foods. The beef could be too rich for her too. Lots of my pups don't tolerate beef in their diet.... hence why I feed chook mince and ocasionally lamb mince.

Worm her again too. Can't hurt. :)

The smell is getting worse :(

She'd already been vet checked, and the vet said (on the smell issue) that the worms must have really mucked her up. But he didn't say how to fix it. (and I dont actually know if it is caused by her past condition or by what I am feeding her now).

I'll try the suggestions given and see how it goes:

- feeding yoghurt

- just chicken (no beef)

- another worming

- no 'vets all natural' (I hadn't thought about fermemation). Should I mix vegies etc in her mix instead?

She's such a honey. When she sleeps she lies on my lap, belly-up and suckles the air :) .

(which then gives her the hiccups when she wakes :eek: )

People walk up and say "isnt she cute" then get within 30cm and reel back saying 'gee she smells' :(

(she doesnt eat her own poo - she just leaves it in her bed/my bed/under my bed for me to clean up :) )

I dont want to sound negative..but early last year the lad who worked for me had an elderly bitch who whelped and the only surviving pup developed extremely foul smelling breath. She started to go downhill quickly and crossed to The Bridge a few weeks later. As there was no autopsy my vet had no idea what was going on with her.

I agree with the suggestion of adding probiotics to her meals. Speak to the vet about the worms causing a vitamin deficiency and maybe a vitamin injection( such as vam) for the little one.

Veggies i would add only after they have been well mashed. add pumpkin to help sooth the digestive tract. Glucosamine has a beneficial effect on the repair of mucosal cells in the GI tract. Glutamine promotes recovery and normal activity of the intestines when they are inflamed.

If you wish to spend more money then a consult with a reputable holistic vet may help.

sending healing thoughts

Hi lillysmum, just wondering what brand of natural yoghurt do you give to your dog? I give my dog "Jalna" natural yoghurt containing aBc cultures. Is it ok to give whole milk yoghurt to dogs, or it's better to give fat free? He likes either.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 7 week old boxer puppy, His breath STINKS!!! It isn't all the time, sometimes he makes a sucking noise with his tongue and then you smell "the smell". The breeder we got him from said that it is just puppy breath and will go away.

I would like to try the yogurt but have been told that you shouldn't give young puppies diary. Will this upset his tummy??

Am wondering whether her gut is working properly and whether she is experiencing reverse peristalsis where fecal matter ends up in her gut. IF this is the case she would probably vomit it up. The worm infestation may have damaged the lining and muscle in her intestine meaning that food is pooling there and resulting in excess gas taking a path of least resistance out of her gut...upwards

I would like to try the yogurt but have been told that you shouldn't give young puppies diary. Will this upset his tummy??

No because most of the lactose is consumed by the bacteria during the yoghurt making process. However make sure it's real yoghurt not one of the sugary yoghurt desserts, Jalna is a good brand.

Am wondering whether her gut is working properly and whether she is experiencing reverse peristalsis where fecal matter ends up in her gut. IF this is the case she would probably vomit it up. The worm infestation may have damaged the lining and muscle in her intestine meaning that food is pooling there and resulting in excess gas taking a path of least resistance out of her gut...upwards

She hasn't vomited since she's been here - so hopefully that's not what is happening. Her breath smells all of the time (not just when burping etc) - would gas be coming out continually? It's the worst dog breath I have ever smelled - sort of like acrid poo - and you only need to be within about 20cm of her to smell it.

I've been out this afternoon and bought the ingredients for a special mix for her (as advised by everyone - thanks :eek: ) and will see how she goes on it. I also bought slippery elm powder (does anyone know the dose for this?). I looked at powdered probiotics but it was $30 for a very small bottle, so will try yoghurt instead.

if there is damage to the sphincters in her gut then yes the gas and some fluids may ooze, kinda like indigestion. People who suffer from severe reflux often have a very unique smell about them as you can smell what is in their gut

The "better" quality yoghurts are usually called-for in these situations b/c their probiotics can be more effective. Acidopholus and bifidus are the ones to look for but most cheaper yoghurts don't have enough to make a huge difference. Jalna is an excellent choice and I've used it with great success with tummy upsets and also when a dog is taking anti-biotics. I've had success too with Inner Health Plus which is for humans, comes in powder or capsule form and works really well to restore digestive balance. :)

And yep, avoid the fruit-flavoured yoghurts except as a treat for the dog...their culture counts are far too low to make any difference. :eek:

Gail, I've got no idea about the dosage for slippery elm powder - haven't used it. :)

Check for chronic pharyngitis..that can give the same 'bum' smell...Cadence had it as a youngster and it took 5 vets to find it - then a course of antibiotics nailed it within 48 hours....... (like tonsillitus in dogs...)

Edited by TangerineDream