Long Haired Dog Owners ....

MrsD

Basically exactly what the title asks - what do you use to wash (& condition if you use it) your dogs, particularly if you show? Any recommendations appreciated, I've really only ever used Fidos before & I can see problems with brushing if I dont use something a bit more "conditioning" :):) .

Errrr and that's owners that own dogs with long hair - not the owners with long hair btw :rofl: .....

You shouldn’t use a conditioner on shelties generally as it makes the coat soft which then tends to matt more but when brushing a dry coat I would recommend misting the coat lightly with water. It stops the coat splitting and makes the job a lot easier

Well, I think my dogs' long hair gets more attention than mine :)

Have tried various things but at the moment, I'm back onto Aloveen for one of my girls and just started with Laserlites Silk for my other girl. I've also used Plush Puppy with good results but I prefer my current stuff. :rofl:

Have some silk diluted in a spray bottle to spray on before brushing :)

I was using the Laserlites silk at work , but found that it took ages to blowdry the dogs :) It became like trying to blowdry a sponge, I felt like getting the dog and trying to wring it our first. I liked the look of the coat after it was dry, but not the time it added to the drying process.

Laser Lites ... Lanolin Shampoo and Conditioner. I do add a hint of Silk in with my final rinse with the conditioner and have lovely silky coats.

With a Sheltie, you may need a different type of shampoo. Laser Lites have all different types to suit different dogs.

www.laserlites.com.au

I was to lazy to set up the hydrobath last week as it was cold, so I washed my girl in the laundry tub... I forgot that all of my dog shampoos were outside so I grabed my Pantine.. :)

Chloes coat was sooooo soft after I couldnt believe it.. :)

I normally use Plush Puppy though.

Thanx everyone for their suggestions :confused: I'll keep an eye out & see which ones I can get.

Cowanbree - that's what I was wondering, whether a conditioner may be too heavy & make the coat too soft or not & whether a "conditioning shampoo" would be better.

Showdog - what sort of dogs do you have? I use Pantene - on my own hair, & yes I have used it on my dogs (GSD's) as well in the past :rofl: .

Rugerfly - Douglas could always vaccuum him instead of you washing him :p .

Well after the boys spilt sugar all over him this morning :rofl: I decided it was time for Jonty's first bath. For this time I used the Fido's shampoo & rinse & just the tiniest bit of Pantene :):laugh: washed out really well & he's come up looking like a moviestar :laugh: .

I'll post some pics later - I guess they had best go in the photos section, I got some of him looking like a drowned rat which is always a giggle, the kids had no idea that he would look like that :D .

Bathing methods are always a great conversation topic. There are many products out there and everybpdy has their favourites that suit their dogs the best. What might suit one person in a breed might not suit another. You might even have to use different brands on different dogs that you won yourself.

I personally am very impressed with a fairly new range being made in Queensland called Animal House www.animalhouse.com.au

I have used most of the major brands from around the world over the years, and I have found this product range to be the best I have used.

Cheers

Ian

( contrary to many rumours around the dog world, I have no financial interest in this company, I use it because I like it)

Pantene does work pretty well but doesn't give as good a finish as what I'm currently using :rofl: You should also make sure you use the clarifying shampoo with it, once every couple of washes. Pantene tends to build up on the coat so you have to strip it out of the coat before adding more. If you don't you will notice the coat becoming "heavy". That's what I found anyway. Many of the top groomers use Pantene.

Animal House worked well one one of the girls but not the other - a lot of the Lhasa people are using it and I've got to say, their Lhasas looks awesome ;)

Never had the trouble of drying my dogs after using Laserlites. Was it diluted properly? I need such a tiny amount that once diluted the cost of the product makes it worthwhile on a tight budget! And afterwards she looks just beautiful!

You've just got to find something which works and then keep using it until it doesn't :rofl: All trial and error :eek: