Dogs Indoors / Smells / Odours / Accidents

BT-Argo

Hello All

for those of you who keep their dogs inside their house I was wondering do you have many problems with doggy smells and odours?

I know some dogs like poodles etc do not shed much and they are doggy free odour but surely all dogs can create some odour and smell in the house especially if they have an accident or urinate?

For those with poodle especially does the house tend to have a "doggy smell" from them?

Thanks

Curious

I have my stafford boy in most of the time, and i don't get doggy odour. I do get doggy fart smells that woft around the house, but not a constant dog smell.

I just keep him bathed regularly, making sure he is washed when he gets wet outside. To avoid the wet dog smell.

No smell at all :rofl: I clean up religiously :dropjaw:

My little ones do not have any odours. They also did not have many accidents indoors. If they did, I clean it up immediately. You just have to make sure it is thorough.

All land-based mammals smell. Dogs are no exception to this. If you feed a good diet (one that's right for the particular dog you have), if you house train your dog to minimise mistakes indoors, and if you keep your dog clean, then you shouldn't notice an overpowering smell at any time unless the dog is unwell.

My dogs are fed a raw, whole foods diet. They are lucky if they get three baths a year. They rarely fart. So their impact inside our home is minimal from a smell point of view. But they do get dirty (muddy feet and dirty coats from rolling around outside) so you either bath your dog or shampoo your carpet. :dropjaw:

so you either bath your dog or shampoo your carpet.

Or you have polished floorboards! :rofl:

When we build our next house (assuming we build rather than buy) I want polished concrete floors. :dropjaw:

In the meantime, most rental properties (and we rent through OH's employer) have carpet. :( The exceptions tend to be tropical locations - we had tiles throughout in Cairns and lino in Darwin. :(

i often wonder this too .. ours only arent allowed inside full time because the parents think they will stink the house out ( they usually do! ) ... we do bath them.. but they still tend to smell.. and do still go outside

how long would it take for the smell to go away if they were kept indoors ?

We have floorboards, its great, but the carpets in the bedrooms get a little dirty (no worse than my mechanic husband does though!!!)

Slate floors are great :dropjaw: if you have GSD's. They're usually the same colour as slate and the texture of slate also helps hide hair too.

When we build our next house (assuming we build rather than buy) I want polished concrete floors. ;)

We had those in our last house and they are the best. They don't smell and hide the dirt really well. :thumbsup: God I miss them.

I always try to keep soft furnishings to a minimum because they absorb odours. We've got 2 dogs inside full time and I don't think the place pongs too bad.

Hi. Yep, it's true, poodles smell alot less than most dogs, perhaps due to their non-shedding, wool-like coat. I've had pound dogs and a boxer as our family dogs in the past, pre-allergic OH. There's no difference in outdoor/ indoor time to explain the difference between these dogs and our poodle. The poodle probably gets dirtier, in fact. Fleas don't seem to like poodles' coat much, either.

I still wash dog bedding every 2-3 months as it's fabric/ cushion. Have to admit a wet poodle will smell a little if it's been raining a few days in a row: Nothing like eau de wet dog ;) .

Accidents: use a non ammonia-based cleaner to get rid of the urine scent otherwise dog likely to re-use the same spot. Sprinkle around some bicarb soda as a carpet deodoriser. Cheaper throw rugs are easy to wash if you like your dog on the lounge with you.

A bit of doggy smell is a small price to pay for a wonderful companion. Definitely less doggy smell with a poodle.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Only times the dog smells - 1 - when she is wet and 2 when she needs a bath (much like people you could say).

If the bedding is washed and floor vacuumed cannot see any problems with 'lingering' smell - (however years ago I have seen people leave 'lingering' smells in rooms).

But then I cannot think of a time when I have been in a dog persons house actually ever been able to smell that dogs were there.

Rozzie, a concreter could probably pour a topping on the existing slab & bring that up to a polished finish. Would be costly I imagine.

ETA You could rip up the carpet & lay slate or tiles though!

Edited by trifecta

Minimal doggie smells at my house - I have two that live inside. They are bathed weekly, fed a raw diet, the carpet is cleaned every other day (they shed lots of hair) and puppy spots cleaned up straight away. When I'm home I make sure the house is well aired. It does smell when its damp outside or the house has been closed up for a while.

Although we are about to rip up the carpet and replace with something that is easier to keep clean. ;)