House Training Through Night

kamuzz

Our GSD is now about 10 months old, and we have had him for about 3 months.

At first he slept outside in a kennel, but then he would start playing <yip yip yip> with the next door dog through the fence - at 3:00am

Now he sleeps inside in a crate - has done for the last couple of weeks.

He barks to go outside to the toilet between 3:00am and 4:30am.

How do I get him out of this habit?

He will eventually be able to hold it. But cavNrott is right , be glad he wakes you to go.

My doggy trainer told me to put up Baileys water at 6pmish. Bailey is only 9-10weeks old and is waking once a night too. But I would rather he woke me to go out then have to clean up the mess in the morning!!

Do you think it would be ok to put up the water dish at 9pm if my pup last ate at 5:30ish?? He drinks a huge amout of water in one hit, almost seems like he doesnt want to stop. He wouldn't get thirsty and cause damage??

If he is eating dry dog food at 8pm I wouldn't take the water up before he goes to bed.

kamuzz, he's just getting used to a new routine. He'll get the idea before long. Well done on bringing him inside the house to sleep.

I would keep him up until you go to bed and take him for a last minute toilet trip outside just before he goes into the crate.

I am not sure, but we feed bailey around the same time. After he has his meal (about 1/2hr later) he has his big drink and we lift his bowl up. But I would check with someone who knows more than me. I was just saying what my trainer told me, I always refer back to her when not sure on something.

Feeding dry food will usually mean a dog is more thirsty than one fed on either processed wet food (canned) or natural diet (raw, BARF, whatever). It's OK to take a water bowl up during the night (that is, so the dog can't drink during sleeping hours) but I would be cautious about withholding water otherwise. Is there any reason you can't feed the dog as soon as you get home? This would alleviate the pup's need to drink so late in the evening and reduce the chances of his needing to go out in the wee hours (pun intended!).

I feed my foster on dry (kibble) but I add warm water to the bowl. She still drinks excessively in comparison with my own dogs that are fed raw, whole foods.

Have you considered perhaps changing his feeding routine to give him his main meal in the morning with just a biscuit or two or maybe a meaty bone at your dinnertime?

This would mean that he has time to empty his main meal during the day and after just a light snack at night possibly wouldn't need to go out to empty in the middle of the night?

I would feed am but you also need to remember when a dog has been outside for so long it can go to the loo when it pleases so in reality the routine is normal to the dog,now the dog is learning to break that routine & letting you now is good toilet training

Hi

Both my pups did this to start with.(4 months and 11 months) Sometimes I would get up 2 or 3 times a night.

Over the space of about 4 weeks the space between each toilet trip got further and further apart.

Now they go to bed at about 10 pm and don't go out till I get up at 6:30am.

I think its just one of those things that takes time to work out, Goodluck :laugh:

I have just bought Barker into our room in his basket the last few nights after being outside. The first night he woke me at 4.30am for a loo stop and last night/this morning he got out of bed after i had had my shower and got dressed at 7am. He had hopped in his basket at 10.30pm and he is allowed to drink whenever he likes.

It will happen.

In saying that we have had him for 5 or so weeks and in that time he has not had one accident inside.

He is inside all the time when we are home and i just let him out when he gets up and he goes.

Is there any reason you can't feed the dog as soon as you get home? This would alleviate the pup's need to drink so late in the evening and reduce the chances of his needing to go out in the wee hours (pun intended!).

We were advised to feed our dogs after we had eaten because our dog has pack issues. have changed this recently to feed as soon as I get home, but he is still wanting to cavort around at night....

My dogs (2yr old and 7mth old) get fed their dinner at 8.30pm they get an outside break about 15mins after they have finished for about 1/2 an hour - by then they are waiting at the back door to come inside again. Then at 10.30pm they get a 10min loo break each separately. This has been our routine since forever - And even Sabre has been sleeping thru the night since he was 4 months old - however i get up at 6am and let them both out for a break before they rush back inside for their (and my) sleep-in - when i'm not working that is...lol.

ETA - I'd give your boy another break before bed, but not let him have water at that break...and go from there....it won't happen over night - but it will happen!

Edited by KitKat

Well Coda seems to have settled into a routine, and I must say it is one that I don't really like :rofl:

Wake up around 3:00 am and bark in your "must get out NOW bark"

Go outside and have a big drink

Have a wee

Have another drink

Have another wee

Consent to come back inside after running round the garden

Go back to sleep until around 4:30

Start to complain about being in your crate in your best puppy yip

Alternate yipping with persistent digging and rattling of crate

Repeat with about 10 minute of quiet time in between each spate of complaining

Be released from crate around 6:00

Go outside and continue barking at whatever in your best puppy yip

Collapse exhausted on doorstep just as humans are leaving for work

Be sure they see you settling in for a nice nap

He is now 10 months old - is too unreasonable to expect him to sleep through the night?

Cyclone Bruno is now 6 mths old. He hasn't had a toileting accident for at least 2 months.

Occassioanally he complains at 3am and I ignore him :rofl:. He can now easily go from 10.30 to 7 without a toilet stop.

I think Coda is old enough to hold for the night and it would be worth trying the ignore. If you have to clean up a mess occasionally at least you'll get some sleep :offtopic: I value sleep above cleanliness :rofl:

Good luck

------------------------------

ETA: Had another good idea (I'm procrastinating from doing some serious work). If you need to let him out to the toilet, put him on the lead and take him to his toilet spot without talking or playing. And don't let him drink more ammunition. Take all the fun out of it.

Edited by BellasPerson