Heartworm Needle / Should L Get Pup Done?

archie

I honestly doubt it...for it to be approved..it does have to go through extensive testing...although this isn't fail safe....there are alot of dogs out there that are getting this treatment and having no problems :)

Aus

I'm fairly certain that the 'other' heartworm vac was tested and approved also, it killed a fair number of dogs before it was taken off the shelves.

Edited to add: I agree nothing is fail safe, every owner has to make their own decision of whats right for their pet. What gets up my goat is the countless vets giving the vaccine without providing the owner with the pro's and con's of doing so nor outlining other available options.

Edited by Hazz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 3 greys all have Proheart 12. It was actually Proheart-6 that was recalled, only in the US, and it was recalled for further investigation following a report on the occurrence of adverse effects. That report compared Proheart with two of the worming tablets on the market. For anyone interested, following is a link to a review of the research report that triggered the recall, which presents the report's findings in quite a different light.

Here's a snippet to wet your appetites :)

"An analysis of Banfield data in this study showed that allergic reaction rates following ProHeart 6 administration were comparable overall to those for 2 oral heartworm preventives and far less than the incidence when any of the heartworm preventives studied were administered with a vaccine, or when vaccine

alone was administered." Intern J Appl Res Vet Med • Vol. 3, No. 2, 2005

http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol3Iss2/GLI...t%2012%20FDA%22

Regards,

Fastgals

I my opinion, the problem with the yearly injection is that should the dog be one of the admittedly small percentage of the dog population who has an adverse reaction to the injection...then it is not simply a matter of not giving the next dose..you are stuck with the result for a long period of time.

I would not use it. Like dried dog food, it has been developed for the convenience of the owner rather than the welfare of the dog.,

Wow, good reply. Our cav is 'elligible' for the yearly dose this month and I seriously don't think I'll get him the yearly injection. Realistically, it's not that much of a hassle to give him a tablet (he'll eat anything!...........in true cav style!)

The drug was taken off the market in the USA, and in Canada the labelling clearly states that it is to be used ONLY when there is no suitable alternative.

There have been many cases of AI disease after it's use, any one who has used it and has had a dog suffer any problem afterwards, should report it and INSIST that their vet does also.

My Vet will not use it, and she is not the only Vet I know that wont.

Just an aside, we asked the Fort Dodge rep to call in and discuss the issue with us (Vet Surgery) haven't seen them for dust.

Fort Dodge are now promoting the use of this drug in puppies, unbelievable.

Just an aside, we asked the Fort Dodge rep to call in and discuss the issue with us (Vet Surgery) haven't seen them for dust.

Fort Dodge are now promoting the use of this drug in puppies, unbelievable.

Very interesting Nadia, although does not surprise me at all :banghead:

Great vet you have there :)

Dear Archie,

We have just lost our beautiful Border Collie "Tobie" and we are in the process of investigating it. He died of Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia and we are suspecting the Proheart SR12 injection as, approx. 6 weeks after each injection he bled. A year ago through the bowels (the vets said he hadHemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) and a year after, when he had the second injection, he bled from his gums and died in my arms of a sever internal haemmorage. The vets diagnosed him with the Thromobytopenia but couldn't work out why. We had never suspected the heartworm injection before. If I were you, I would research this product on the net. It was taken off the market in the U.S. in 2004 and the Vet who brought the problems to the attention of the FDA was transferred off the case! Just Google Dr. Victoria Hampshire FDA and you will get a lot of info. Also Google Proheart SR12 adverse reactions. I personally would never recommend this injection to anybody's dogs. If I ever get over the shock and sorrow of losing my beautiful companion and get another dog, I would only use the monthly tablets. Research before you make a decision. I hope you decide NOT to give the injection. Evelin...a very bereaved dog-lover

Dear Archie,

We have just lost our beautiful Border Collie "Tobie" and we are in the process of investigating it. He died of Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia and we are suspecting the Proheart SR12 injection as, approx. 6 weeks after each injection he bled. A year ago through the bowels (the vets said he hadHemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) and a year after, when he had the second injection, he bled from his gums and died in my arms of a sever internal haemmorage. The vets diagnosed him with the Thromobytopenia but couldn't work out why. We had never suspected the heartworm injection before. If I were you, I would research this product on the net. It was taken off the market in the U.S. in 2004 and the Vet who brought the problems to the attention of the FDA was transferred off the case! Just Google Dr. Victoria Hampshire FDA and you will get a lot of info. Also Google Proheart SR12 adverse reactions. I personally would never recommend this injection to anybody's dogs. If I ever get over the shock and sorrow of losing my beautiful companion and get another dog, I would only use the monthly tablets. Research before you make a decision. I hope you decide NOT to give the injection. Evelin...a very bereaved dog-lover"

Hi Evelin,

I am so sorry that you lost Tobie in this way. :rofl:

Have you reported this to the NRA Adverse Reactions in Canberra?

Edited by schnauzer

Dear Archie,

We have just lost our beautiful Border Collie "Tobie" and we are in the process of investigating it. He died of Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia and we are suspecting the Proheart SR12 injection as, approx. 6 weeks after each injection he bled. A year ago through the bowels (the vets said he hadHemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) and a year after, when he had the second injection, he bled from his gums and died in my arms of a sever internal haemmorage. The vets diagnosed him with the Thromobytopenia but couldn't work out why. We had never suspected the heartworm injection before. If I were you, I would research this product on the net. It was taken off the market in the U.S. in 2004 and the Vet who brought the problems to the attention of the FDA was transferred off the case! Just Google Dr. Victoria Hampshire FDA and you will get a lot of info. Also Google Proheart SR12 adverse reactions. I personally would never recommend this injection to anybody's dogs. If I ever get over the shock and sorrow of losing my beautiful companion and get another dog, I would only use the monthly tablets. Research before you make a decision. I hope you decide NOT to give the injection. Evelin...a very bereaved dog-lover"

Hi Evelin,

[

Hi Evelin,

Dear Schnauzer,

Thank you so much for your condolences. The vet has reported it to the manufacturers and I have written an email to the U.S. Vet Dr. Victoria Hampshire and am waiting for a reply. It has been a big thing in the U.S. and from what I have read on the net, it is still off the market there. We are reporting it to the APVMA Adverse Experience Reporting Program here in Australia as well. I thought I might ask any other dog owners out there if their dogs have had bewildering, unexplained illnesses and/or have died after getting the heartworm injection and not making a possible connection to it. Tobie had bleeding 6 weeks after the first and second shots. The vets couldn't find any reason. In between, for the whole year, he had recurrent vomiting and diahhrea. Yet healthy shiny coat and appetitie, bright eyes, alert, ready to go anywhere...THE WHOLE TIME! If I ever work out how to use this forum, I will send a photo of my beautiful boy.

Thank you again Schnauzer. Please if anyone else has any info...or adverse experiences with Proheart SR12 annual injection, let me know. Evelin

I didn't think the 12 mths vaccine was approved to be used in the USA/Canada at all? :rofl: Yet here in Australia, some vets give it without a second thought or without providing sufficient information to people before they are supposed to make a decision as to the suitability for their pets. I certainly won't use it - ever. Interceptor has few side effects and it's affordable, easy to use, and the dogs take it without trouble. :rofl:

I didn't think the 12 mths vaccine was approved to be used in the USA/Canada at all? :rofl: Yet here in Australia, some vets give it without a second thought or without providing sufficient information to people before they are supposed to make a decision as to the suitability for their pets. I certainly won't use it - ever. Interceptor has few side effects and it's affordable, easy to use, and the dogs take it without trouble. :rofl:

Dear Lillysmum,

The Proheart 6 in the U.S and the Proheart SR12 for Australia were both put on the market in 2001. The Proheart SR12 has 3 times the dose of moxidectin (the main active ingredient) than the Proheart 6, yet the Proheart 6 (twice a year injections) were taken off the market in 2004 in the U.S.......yet the bigger dose Proheart SR12 is still going in Australia!!! From what I have read, not enough people are reporting adverse reactions to have this product looked at in Australia. Proheart SR12 was only ever used in Australia and Asia, whereas the Proheart 6 was used in U.S. and Canada etc. I'm not understanding why the difference, and why something 3 times the dose of the lesser drug has not been banned, looked at ,or taken off the market in Australia, whereas the lesser drug has been taken off the market in the U.S. since 2004. Go figure. Still, none of this will bring my Tobie back, but at least it might save some other dogs.

Evelin

If your Vet will nt report the reaction to AVPMA you can do it yourself

www.avpma.gov.au

Many breeds are now know to be Ivermectin sensitive, including Akitas, Whippets and other sighthounds.

I stumbled on a website yesterday that may give you a greater insight - Ivermectin Affected dogs cannot have a whole heap of other drugs that, unfortunately, most Vets are not aware of

have a look at

www.miniaussierescue.org and look at the list of MDR Problem Drugs list.

I have had my Collie DNA tested for MDR1 mutant gene and she is Affected.My wonderful Vet has this noted on her file along with all these drugs that she is NEVER to be given

My dog had his heartworm injection when he was 6months old because he was going to a boarding kennel at 9 months old in December last year for one month. I didn't know any better then about how toxic it can be, and my old vet said it was ok to give to puppies from 6 months. Luckily my dog didn't have any reaction at the time. I give him monthly tablet now. Does anyone know if the injection can cause auto immune system issues 12 months later?

We lost our Border Collie recently to Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia and we are suspecting the annual heartworm injections, also the C5 vaccinations. Our vet has reported it to the manufacturers and we are in the process of getting the info to the APVMA Adverse Experience Reporting Program. Our dog had symptoms approx. 6 weeks after each heartworm injection. Unfortunately 6 weeks after the second one, he died of a massive internal haemmorage. The whole year between injections, he had diarrhea and vomiting on a regular basis. The Vets couldn't find the reason. But now we suspect.

Evelin

If your Vet will nt report the reaction to AVPMA you can do it yourself

www.avpma.gov.au

Many breeds are now know to be Ivermectin sensitive, including Akitas, Whippets and other sighthounds.

I stumbled on a website yesterday that may give you a greater insight - Ivermectin Affected dogs cannot have a whole heap of other drugs that, unfortunately, most Vets are not aware of

have a look at

www.miniaussierescue.org and look at the list of MDR Problem Drugs list.

I have had my Collie DNA tested for MDR1 mutant gene and she is Affected.My wonderful Vet has this noted on her file along with all these drugs that she is NEVER to be given

Thank you for that info. I wish I had known then what I know now. Evelin

Dear Lillysmum,

The Proheart 6 in the U.S and the Proheart SR12 for Australia were both put on the market in 2001. The Proheart SR12 has 3 times the dose of moxidectin (the main active ingredient) than the Proheart 6, yet the Proheart 6 (twice a year injections) were taken off the market in 2004 in the U.S.......yet the bigger dose Proheart SR12 is still going in Australia!!! From what I have read, not enough people are reporting adverse reactions to have this product looked at in Australia. Proheart SR12 was only ever used in Australia and Asia, whereas the Proheart 6 was used in U.S. and Canada etc. I'm not understanding why the difference, and why something 3 times the dose of the lesser drug has not been banned, looked at ,or taken off the market in Australia, whereas the lesser drug has been taken off the market in the U.S. since 2004. Go figure. Still, none of this will bring my Tobie back, but at least it might save some other dogs.

Evelin

Evelin, the reason why you don't undertsand it is becuase you need to investigate the ingredients of both PH6 and 12 and then compare them. It is not, as you think, simply a doubling of the active ingredient. Sorry I can not explain it myself but there is a thread on this forum somehwere, where a vet who is a member of this site, explained the difference in the drugs.

As to the reactions to the drug - it is not as common as people think. There is so much hysteria on the web about the hw injection and most of it is exaggerated. Most of what is written about the yearly injections is written by unqualified people without evidence. There is a large amount of study based evidence on the web if anyone cares to look and they will see that the reaction to PH12 is on par with the reaction of many other drugs given to dogs in this day and age. PH6 does have a higher incidence rate however.

Personally I have chosen to resort back to the monthly oral dosing only because I beleive that if anything ever does go wrong in the future, it is only a month of the drug in their system and having an epileptic dog I am always wary of other medications he may take. In saying this thoug, I have always administered the yearly preventative until now and have never seen a reaction in my dogs.

Edited by Puggles

Dear Lillysmum,

Evelin

Evelin, the reason why you don't undertsand it is becuase you need to investigate the ingredients of both PH6 and 12 and then compare them. It is not, as you think, simply a doubling of the active ingredient. Sorry I can not explain it myself but there is a thread on this forum somehwere, where a vet who is a member of this site, explained the difference in the drugs.

As to the reactions to the drug - it is not as common as people think. There is so much hysteria on the web about the hw injection and most of it is exaggerated. Most of what is written about the yearly injections is written by unqualified people without evidence. There is a large amount of study based evidence on the web if anyone cares to look and they will see that the reaction to PH12 is on par with the reaction of many other drugs given to dogs in this day and age. PH6 does have a higher incidence rate however.

Personally I have chosen to resort back to the monthly oral dosing only because I beleive that if anything ever does go wrong in the future, it is only a month of the drug in their system and having an epileptic dog I am always wary of other medications he may take. In saying this thoug, I have always administered the yearly preventative until now and have never seen a reaction in my dogs.

Dear Puggles, thank you for your response. Every bit of info helps. Our Vets have reported it to the relevant authorities and it is being investigated and taken very seriously. I received a response today from Dr. Hampshire in the U.S. who has left the Centre for Vet. Medicine and joined another FDA centre so is not involved with Wyeth (manufacturers of Proheart) anymore. If you Google Dr. Victoria Hampshire FDA you will see how she was taken off the Proheart case when she reported all the adverse reactions and deaths to the FDA. She has forwarded my email on to someone else at the CVM but they have told me only what I have already found on the net. Proheart 12 is not approved in the U.S. Proheart 6 is still off the market in the U.S., but it is sold in Canada with new labelling.

I asked DR. Hamshire to tell me the difference between the 6 and 12 but she did not respond to it. I will now email the new people at the FDA. Am doing my best to get the fact. Will keep you posted.

I asked DR. Hamshire to tell me the difference between the 6 and 12 but she did not respond to it. I will now email the new people at the FDA. Am doing my best to get the fact. Will keep you posted.

Which country are you in? - I gather you are in the US?

I did a quick search of this site for the thread but there were far too many to sort through. Let us know what you find.

It seems to be an ongoing debate. The last lot of figures I looked at showed that in reality very few deaths were reported. There was some thought that one adverse reaction was the development of epilepsy (hence my interest) but after some considerable research and many, many disucssions with my general vet and also the neurologist that treats my epi dog and countless other experts and armchair experts, I have to say I am not convinced that this injection is that bad.

Edited by Puggles