Worming, Flea And Tick Prevention

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice when it comes to wormers, flea treatments and tick prevention for my 7.5 month old mini Poodle.

We’re currently treating him monthly with Advocate which covers heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm and controls mange and lice. Every three months he gets Popantel for tapeworm. Now that tick season is upon us, I need to factor some tick prevention in there but I’m not really sure what our options are.

I spoke to our Vet this morning and he recommended that we use a tick collar – Preventic.

As this is our first puppy, I guess I just wanted to be sure that we picked the best option available while still not overwhelming our little guy with too many chemicals. I’ve searched the forums and to be honest, I’m just plain confused by all the information.

What do you guys use and what can you recommend?

I use a herbal mixture called "Wormex." It gets rid of intestinal worms, fleas, and lice, and it's all natural. As for ticks, I don't worry about them. I'm good about checking the dog with the blowdryer after we go camping or walking through the bush, so ticks aren't a major concern for me.

Personally I don't like the idea of chemicals and won't use them on my dogs unless there is no other choice. If I were worried about ticks I'd make up a herbal spray to repell them. :)

You could keep on using the advocate, and use a killtix or preventic collar as well.

Or you could use advantix, and use a monthly heartworm preventative tablet.

Or you could use advantix, and get a yearly heartworm injection.

I wish somebody would come up with a product that does ticks, heartworm, worms and fleas in one, that would make things easier.

Hi Natashja.

I use Advantix for ticks/ mosquitos/ fleas and Interceptor Spectrum (monthly) for heartworm/ most intestinal worms. Oscar sometimes sleeps outside, so mozzy protection seems a nice idea.

I used the yearly heartworm injection once, but have read on DOL that the injection is more liekly to cause serious side effects. Some won't use it for their dog.

Does anyone know much about the anti-tickcollars? If you touch it, does that mean you get a small dose of anti-tick medication, too?

The tick collar I get for Riley is a collar with a powder kind of substance on it.

If you touch it you should wash your hand afterwards, but I touch Riley's all the time with no side effects.

I also get allergic reactions to ALOT of things and touching the tick collar doesnt give my skin a reaction which is suprising.

Edited to add - I have heard of some dogs getting a rash from the tick collar though - I guess you're probably best to try one and see how it goes.

Edited by wagsalot

I use advantix every 2 weeks AND a tick collar.

I check my bc for ticks most of the year but find to do it properly takes about 20 mins. I do the same for fosters and find I just don't have the time every day so rely on chemicals. I live in a fairly bad tick area. I don't know if ticks are as bad in Canada.

Guest Stevie'sGreat
I wish somebody would come up with a product that does ticks, heartworm, worms and fleas in one, that would make things easier.

Ohhh me too! Particularly as we've been dealing with a puppy who's moved into the next weight range every month or two, I'm always getting in a muddle with the different flea, worm and heartworm treatments. Now we have to add ticks as well!

Proban has been around for years and is fairly cost effective.

Personally I don't like giving my dogs low levels of poison and prefer to use Advantix fortnightly.

You can use Fidos Flea & Tick Rinse with Advantix if you want.

Frontline doesn't enjoy the reputation of being as reliable as Advantix.

Perhaps you should ask the vet in the tick area you will be visiting as he/she will know their area best. :thumbsup:

Revolution has no registered claim against Paralysis Ticks.

For people in the Blue Mountains - we had our first clinical case of tick paralysis last week. Please everyone keep a close eye out and check your dogs daily.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'm going to stick with the flea and worm treatments we're using and use a tick collar as a suplement.

My vet recommended the Preventic collar - what have your experiences been with it?

I live on small property inland from noosa and ticks are really bad. Last year I put a preventatic collar on my gsd without checking first for ticks and two days later he went down. Thankfully vet trip early saved him. I still use the preventatic collars and find them really good but if the dog has a tick already on him they wont kill the tick they only keep them off. So it was my own fault for being lazy and not checking him first or dipping first but after $480.00 vet bill I have learnt my lesson and it wont happen again. The tick collars are excellent I find but I still dip in fidos tick wash as well because the ticks are so bad here.

It totally depends on the area in which you live, and what chemicals the pests are resistant to.

Here Preventic collars work beautifully, Killtix doesn't. 20kms up the road it is the opposite.

Frontline is not working here. But Advantix is.

2 years ago the Killtix collars were what worked for us.

Edited by Nadia

• 2 weeks later...
You could keep on using the advocate, and use a killtix or preventic collar as well.

Or you could use advantix, and use a monthly heartworm preventative tablet.

Or you could use advantix, and get a yearly heartworm injection.

Please be careful with the annual heartworm injection. We are suspecting it caused the death of our dog. Therefore I wouldn't recommend its use.

Evelin