I Have Sooky Baby!

flycow

I need some suggestions.

My three months pup has been whiny. I ignored her 99% of the time. Whenever she's out of her crate, she'd walk around bored, sat next to me and stared at me every minute with eyes saying "let's find something to do!". Fair enough, so twice a day I brought her out for play+training time. But she just laid/sat there.

She is not very interested in anything, ball, toys, softtoys, kong, cardboard, paper, cloth, rope etc. I threw the ball she run half-hearted for three times max then sat there again. Even when I gave her treats she's not overly excited.

She is a very bored pup, when I gave her cuddles or praised her, she looked uninterested. She walked around the house, whined a bit here and there at anything (eg. the wall), as if protesting "there's nothing to do here!"

She is just bored Bored BORED!!! The only thing that will catch her attention is food but I can't give her food all the time? She's slim and pretty but a LAB so I don't want her to put on the weight. I have sent her to the vet, she is all healthy and vaccinated and well.

Maybe my partner and I are just boring people :rolleyes: What can I do to make her happier, any suggestions? er...and bringing in another pup is out of the question :wave:

edited for typo errors.

Edited by flycow

Hi,

If there s nothing wrong medically and she is being played with etc. Sometimes they need to be dogs and do their own thing. My pups have both gone through that and we got through it by partly ignoring it and partly amusing them through it.

Kristie

You need to remember that you have your work,your family,your friends, your sports and other intrests all your pup has is you

:wave::thumbsup: smart puppy she is schemeing already how to be the centre of attention --sulking does it everytime :laugh:

No it shouldn't 't because I don't give her attention at all when she sulk or whine. Only when she is quiet and well behaved do her own thing I'd go and give her attention. But I admit this is one hell of a smart and dominant pup. Partner asked me why didn't I pick a dumb one? :rolleyes:

Hi there Flycow

This is my first time of the forum, so here goes. I must admit, I registered to reply to forums after seeing the lovely picture of your pup. But I know, that looks can be deceiving. We have a 6 month old Staffie cross Cattle dog. He is my first puppy (which I think it as important point to make). He has had me in tears :thumbsup: confused: , made me laugh :wave: , and has made me very curious about animals in general :rolleyes: . At the end of the day, they all have their own personality which is important to them.

The only advice I can give (and I am by no means an expert) is to continiue ignoring this behaviour. I know its diffcult, but with Buster, over time, it has certainly worked, and I think he is better for it. They need to know boundaries from the start...You are doing the right thing believe me..reward when he isn't sooking and he will soon catch on. Does he relate well to other dogs? or does he still sook?

I need some suggestions.

My three months pup has been whiny. I ignored her 99% of the time. Whenever she's out of her crate, she'd walk around bored, sat next to me and stared at me every minute with eyes saying "let's find something to do!". Fair enough, so twice a day I brought her out for play+training time. But she just laid/sat there.

She is not very interested in anything, ball, toys, softtoys, kong, cardboard, paper, cloth, rope etc. I threw the ball she run half-hearted for three times max then sat there again. Even when I gave her treats she's not overly excited.

She is a very bored pup, when I gave her cuddles or praised her, she looked uninterested. She walked around the house, whined a bit here and there at anything (eg. the wall), as if protesting "there's nothing to do here!"

She is just bored Bored BORED!!! The only thing that will catch her attention is food but I can't give her food all the time? She's slim and pretty but a LAB so I don't want her to put on the weight. I have sent her to the vet, she is all healthy and vaccinated and well.

Maybe my partner and I are just boring people :thumbsup: What can I do to make her happier, any suggestions? er...and bringing in another pup is out of the question :laugh:

edited for typo errors.

How long is she in her crate for?

Being let outside twice a day for play isnt much at all for a 12 week old puppy :wave: what does she do for the rest of the day?

Shes looking to you for enjoyment, and you are ignoring her by the sounds of it.

Can you take her outside and just sit while she explores, give her some (uncooked) bones to chew on, or a rawhide bone. Puppies learn to play, to enjoy, maybe your just not encouraging her with your voice etc? :rolleyes:

Can you try to bond a bit with her.

She might be a laid back puppy, but theres no reason for her to be whiney, unless shes trying to tell you something?

well I was also wondering how long she is crated for. don;t get me wrong, I am actually a fan of crating, but not for long periods. A puppy is usually creative, and if you crate her for too long she may lose that creativity for ever (my opinion not professioanl opinion).

With mine, as a puppy, I would creat her for a few hours, but I also bought a puppy play pen. The crate would go in that and this allowed her to be secure and have her crate but also have some toys and a play area. Her toys would change every day. I would also give her a marrow bone one day, or a puzzle ball/kong on another day (with a treat inside to get).

I would also have a routine of playing with her.

I think that another thing to do is exercise her mind. This will keep her from being bored, and actually is very good for her. SO you take her, and get her to sit beside you facing the front. Get her to walk next to you (heeling). Get her to drop. Get her to walk next to you while you walk at different speeds (she needs to learn to match your walking speed). Make her sit, stay.... See if she will fetch a ball (give her a tiny treat when she brings it back to you.

If I was you I would not hesitate to contact Ausdogs or similar. They know dogs and provide ome simple techniques that will change your life. Otherwsie you can talk to your vet, or ask your vet for a canin behaviourist. You are doing the right thing by getting onto this early. Once bad habits devlop its harder to undo them.

Maybe she needs a companion dog?

StaffnToller, cazbear and Sky,

She wasn't crated for long, about 9 hours at night and 4 hours in the day - two 2hrs each time, with break inbetween). Other times she's has free roam, with my company. On top of that I took her out to the yard twice a day for her personal time with me (training and playing). Other times I took her out for toilet and while she is at home, I'm around with her mostly in the same room, not too much attention though when I'm doing my work. My partner came home at six and gave her 1hour play/training time too! So I think she has a reasonably good life here!! :rolleyes:

Edited by flycow

How long is she in her crate for?

Being let outside twice a day for play isnt much at all for a 12 week old puppy :wave: what does she do for the rest of the day?

About 13hours including bedtime. She's let outside more than 7-8 times a day, twice a day is just my personal time with her, 30-45mins each session. Then she get bored outside and want to come back in. The rest of the day she go around the house whining 'softly' or sit beside me and stare or chew my furniture. LOL!

Shes looking to you for enjoyment, and you are ignoring her by the sounds of it.

I thought I've gave her reasonably enough enjoyment? hmmmmmm.....

Can you take her outside and just sit while she explores, give her some (uncooked) bones to chew on, or a rawhide bone. Puppies learn to play, to enjoy, maybe your just not encouraging her with your voice etc? :rolleyes:

Yep, I do let her explore, that's my fav, to observe her puppy stuff especially her pulling leaves off my trees. And yes I also rotate rawhides, chicken frames, recreational bones, kibble icecubes, iced robes, well these are the ONLY things she enjoys -FOOD!!

She might be a laid back puppy, but theres no reason for her to be whiney, unless shes trying to tell you something?

I also don't understand this, that's why I came here for suggestions. She came from a farm.

She

Edited by flycow

I missed the crate part!

Mitchi has been crated since we got her. NOT for all that time, she is in it when we are out and was in it at night.

However she now sleeps iin our room as does Barker, they each have their beds.

She goes out for a few hours at a time and quite often she will put herself in her crate fr a rest!!!

Flycow it probably took 4 weeks to get over her sookiness, remember she is only 11 weeks old. Still a little baby and getting used to lfe without other puppies.

After 4 weeks Mitchi was confident to go and play with her toys and do thing without us right next to her.

If your yard is secure nce you have had some playtime, why don't you give her a bone, a raw meaty one from the butcher, and let her have some 'me' time with her bone?

She would probably love it, even if you sat with her for a little while and then moved away.

Mitchi and Barker LOVE pigs ears, so i can give them one of them and have 10 minutes to myself. Mind you i am lucky becasue they do amuse each other now. We had Mitchi for 8 weeks before we got Barker.

What state are you in? If you are in Melbourne i am happy to have a play date if your interested.

Kristie

With mine, as a puppy, I would creat her for a few hours, but I also bought a puppy play pen. The crate would go in that and this allowed her to be secure and have her crate but also have some toys and a play area. Her toys would change every day. I would also give her a marrow bone one day, or a puzzle ball/kong on another day (with a treat inside to get).

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. When I said I crate her I actually means confining in a Pen. I don't use crate. She have a puppy kennel in her own play pen so she can walk and jump and play her toys. She has a puzzle food ball too which she loves when there's food inside. How do I exercise her mind?

I would also have a routine of playing with her.

I think that another thing to do is exercise her mind. This will keep her from being bored, and actually is very good for her. SO you take her, and get her to sit beside you facing the front. Get her to walk next to you (heeling). Get her to drop. Get her to walk next to you while you walk at different speeds (she needs to learn to match your walking speed). Make her sit, stay.... See if she will fetch a ball (give her a tiny treat when she brings it back to you.)

Already doing fetch+heel+drop during her training times, we are attending pup school.
Maybe she needs a companion dog?

:wave: she is really happy around dogs and other people (like visitors). Maybe she don't like us anymore. :rolleyes:

Is there someone with another dog living nearby who she could play with when you walk her?

Could you ask another local dogowner to accompany you when you go for a walk?

A regular neighbourhood doggy friend might like to come and play to cheer her up without the added responsibility of owning another.

Of course she still likes you :rolleyes:

Puppies only have a short attention span for training. I train Bruno in very short bursts. Maybe you need stay in the back yard, do a little training session, let her explore by herself, the train again and then explore again. Do the outside time in lots of short bursts. I would also try leaving her outside while you go inside for a while. She's big enough for this.

Games bruno really enjoys is chasing me around the yard. This peps the pup up and makes them excited. Also dragging a ball on a rope around the backyard and stuff. It's good to get pups to follow you and chasing games are great fun for you and the pup and will improve your bond with her.

Do you take her for walks? Bruno is not complete without his walk. We walk 500 metres in 25 minutes and he has a ball. Dogs need a change of environment - new things to smell and such.

Good luck :wave:

hmm that's an idea, thanks Benji's Mum...

although unfortunately I'm surrounded by untrained barking SWFs, I estimated there are at least seven around my house, maybe I'll try to look further a bit.

Hey Kristie, I live in the northwestern, right at the other end from you, I'd really love to but unless I have use of the car... I'm kinda bounded in my area for the moment, partner need the car regularly. Will your offer be kept open? :rolleyes:

......I must admit, I registered to reply to forums after seeing the lovely picture of your pup. But I know, that looks can be deceiving. .............The only adviceI can give (and I am by no means an expert) is to continiue ignoring this behaviour. I know its diffcult, but with Buster, over time, it has certainly worked, and I think he is better for it. They need to know boundaries from the start...You are doing the right thing believe me..reward when he isn't sooking and he will soon catch on. Does he relate well to other dogs? or does he still sook?

Appreciated! Yes indeed looks are deceiving, you should see her dark side from her eyes. She loves other dogs, those much bigger than her especially. I felt that I'm doing the right thing by ignoring the whining too. But I'm just caring for her well-being and want to find something for her to keep occupied.

Is there someone with another dog living nearby who she could play with when you walk her?

Could you ask another local dogowner to accompany you when you go for a walk?

A regular neighbourhood doggy friend might like to come and play to cheer her up without the added responsibility of owning another.

I dont think shes allowed to be out on walks yet is she? (thinking she wouldnt be fully protected by vaccinations until 16 weeks?)

Maybe a small (dogsafe) fluffy toy would help out if shes missing doggie company, if she cant have playmates yet. :wave:

Does she ever get really excited? Like at puppy school etc?

Has she always been a laid back "bored" kinda puppy, or is a recent behaviour? How long have you had her? Maybe shes still getting used to you, being out of a pack (litter mates) etc.

Lots of praise, encouragement, and not too long on the training sessions as shes a pup and she doesnt have a big attention span (sort of like toddlers :rolleyes: )

I guess most pups/dogs and even kids get excited when visitors arrive, so dont worry too much that you and your partner are boring her. :thumbsup:

She's only just done her second vaccination.

I've had her for a month. She's been whiny since day one, then toned down. But she's bouncy and happy until 1.5 weeks ago started to get bored.

I've taken advice from some of you and today gave her free time away from my watchful eyes in the backyard with her toys. I only peep occasionally without her knowledge to check if she is fine. Let's see how this goes.