Toilet Training How Do I Do That?

Rosi

How old is she?

and how long have you had her?

Ok, first of all if she goes inside - its your fault, not hers!

you must watch her ALL THE TIME

Take her out after every meal, after every time you play and every time she wakes up. PRAISE her when she goes outside- If you catch her in the act inside, tell her no, then take her out til she goes outside and praise.

If you dont see her actually go inside, just ignore it and clean up.

At night time when i first got my dogs i set my alarm every few hours and got up to take them out.

they are crate trained. So they dont have access to the house to go in the corners!

If she starts crying - take her out , she will learn that when she crys, she goes outside. Mine only cry when they want out.

WAtch for sings of her sniffing, tail up, turing in circles - means she is looking for a spot to piddle!

Best of luck!

Crate training can often help make house training easier. If you get your puppy used to being in a crate, she will eventually see it as a place where she can have her own space and play by herself. many people also have their dog sleep in the crate, and you can put her in there when you want her confined for some reason eg for transport.

A pomeranian wont grow very big at all, so you will only need a small crate. It should be big enough so that she can sit, stand, lie down, and turn around without touching the sides or top.

To get her used to the crate, start off by luring her in with a food treat or toy. Feed her in the crate, and put her in there with the door closed for short periods. Once she starts to see the crate as her special place to eat and play, she should avoid going to the toilet in her crate. Dogs generally dont like to go to the toilet where they eat and sleep, but you have to make sure that the crate isnt so big that she can sleep in one end and go to the toilet in the other end.

Because she won't want to go to the toilet in the crate, you can put her in there for short periods (start with about 30 mins maximum and gradualy extend). You should still take her outside after eating, sleeping, playing etc as others have told you, but the crate helps you to prevent accidents at times when you may not be able to supervise her and watch for signs that she wants to go.

The only problem here is that when you get a puppy from a pet shop rather than a breeder, the puppy has usually been forced to live constantly in a small cage, where they have no choice but to eat, sleep, and go to the toilet in the same place. if this is the case, your puppy won't care about going to the toilet in her crate, because she will be used to doing it.

Hope this helps :rofl:

I have housetrained about 35 dogs in the last 3 years, mostly within 2-3 days with the following method - you need to focus on it so I prefer to start on a Saturday morning as I work.

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

I might do that this weekend.

Although my lil puppy is getting better (possibly so am i!!) I'm keen to try anything.

I'm going to have to remember bringing treats with me.. I keep forgetting - pats just dont seem to cut it!!

Edited by p_stampy

all really good words of wisdom!!!

from my own experience of trying to train a litter at 3 weeks of age (just after they were up & running about) the secret is to recognise the "i'm about to pee/poo" routine...it is subtle, but includes sniffing, circling and getting ready to squat!...then you've got to be quick...grab the pup, carry it to the toilet area & praise like hell when it gets it right!

if you don't get there in time....never mind, just clean it up & try to pick up the signals quicker next time :thumbsup:

I felt like a pogo stick for the first week as I had 5 pups to train & they all wanted to go at different times....I'd just get one, then the next would need to go....patience & observation is the key....don't give up, because if you're consistant, they'll let you know within a week or so!

good luck!

Aus

Well someone gave me this dog. and today i went to this pet shop they say our pomeranian is about 1 years old.

well now she doesn't really have any problems of toilet training cause she doesn't wee or poo in our house =D

She either goes in the garage and do it or we let her outside in the garden.

so shes fine.

I got another question how do i teach it to do tricks?

Can I add a question to this?

I dont have a doggy door yet. For me to take the dog outside requires the step of opening the door (obviously) so the dog can go to the grassed area to eliminate.

I plan to eventually get a dog-door, but in the meantime, how exactly do you overcome the fact the puppy doesnt know how to get past the door to outside? Will it instinctively walk to the door and start pawing at it indicating it needs to go?

Edited by samoyedman

The other thing to consider, is if you intend for your dog to be an indoor dog, and you eventually are planning to leave it at home unattended for normal working hours, 9 - 10 hours a day, you might also consider giving it a place inside where it can relieve itself. Usually a laundry or bathroom with some newspaper laid down. Of course outside is always preferred, but you cant expect an animal to hold on for long perids of time every day.

Can I add a question to this?

I dont have a doggy door yet. For me to take the dog outside requires the step of opening the door (obviously) so the dog can go to the grassed area to eliminate.

I plan to eventually get a dog-door, but in the meantime, how exactly do you overcome the fact the puppy doesnt know how to get past the door to outside? Will it instinctively walk to the door and start pawing at it indicating it needs to go?

Mine bark to let me know they need to go out

Other people tie a sting of bells up and teach the dogs to paw at that if they want out