Colouring Of Coat

Jia Nugget

Hi all,

Our puppy SBT (14 wks) is only showing signs of brindle on one side? Her mum was a beautiful brindle and dad was very slight brindle (mostly black).

We dont mind if she turns brindle or black but would seem weird if she was only brindle on one side of her body...

Please help stafford breeders/lovers.

Cheers...........Shaun

post-11173-1159084495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shebia

Really quite common. The brindling may increase slightly as she grows, but on the other hand it may not. My old girl Dolly is a very dark brindle. For quite some time she only had brindle on her off show side but the brindling did become more obvious on the show side as she aged. Now of course, she's going grey!! :D

post-864-1159088003_thumb.jpg

This photo was just before she turned two. She became a stripey brindle not long after this. Her puppies have ranged from almost black to tiger brindles. The more obvious the stripes, the nuttier the pup!! :p

Hi all,

Our puppy SBT (14 wks) is only showing signs of brindle on one side? Her mum was a beautiful brindle and dad was very slight brindle (mostly black).

We dont mind if she turns brindle or black but would seem weird if she was only brindle on one side of her body...

Please help stafford breeders/lovers.

Cheers...........Shaun

Brindling is to do with modifyers (the black stripes) & how thick the modifiers are.

Tiger Brindle is where the black stripes only SLIGHTY show

Normal Brindle is Mostly red with nice even stripes

Reverse Brindle is where Thicker Black strips which appear bigger than the Red parts

Black Brindle - where the is hardly any - or no - red showing - just black modifiers.

-WithEverythingIAm

PS ELLZ what a stunner of a dog !!!!

Thanks Staffy-Lover, I think she's pretty cool too! She's literally my constant companion and I'd be lost without her!

Mind you, this is how she spends most of her days now!

post-864-1159097203_thumb.jpg

With or without a cat! :laugh:

post-864-1159097383_thumb.jpg

I have been told that all black staffords have brindle on them some where even if very slight, so there is no such thing as a pure black stafford. Is this true?

It is true - so such thing as a "Black" Stafford. Same as no such thing as a "Black" Boxer. Just the modifyers (stripes) are so thick, no red shows thru the coat.

-WithEverythingIAm

Genetically there is no such thing as a pure black stafford. Wrote more but was beaten to the punch by the previous poster so have edited but am adding the following link.

A good article by Alec Waters (Ashstock, UK) about colour breeding can be found here.

Edited by ellz