What's Wrong With Him?!

dogsong

My [almost] 5 month old pup won't eat, he's on Eagle Pack Prism Puppy Formula at the moment...all he wants is treats, he drinks fine, he is chewing everything in sight, so not a teeth problem....he has diarrhoea (sp). I've taken him to the vet, he says there's nothing wrong with him, and he's wormed. How can I get him to eat and get his poo back to normal!? :champagne: :cool: :rofl:

My [almost] 5 month old pup won't eat, he's on Eagle Pack Prism Puppy Formula at the moment...all he wants is treats, he drinks fine, he is chewing everything in sight, so not a teeth problem....he has diarrhoea (sp). I've taken him to the vet, he says there's nothing wrong with him, and he's wormed. How can I get him to eat and get his poo back to normal!? :champagne: :cool: :rofl:

Have you tried hand feeding him his dinner?

Don't hand feed him you'll form bad habits.

Put the food down for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes pick it back up whether the dog has eaten or not. Don't feed the dog ANYTHING else until next meal time and try again.

If you keep giving the dog other food to choose from and keep feeding treats between meals because you're worried about not eating he'll just keep refusing his dinner.

He wont starve to death, and if he's been checked out by a vet he's just being stubborn...you just have to be more stubborn than him.

When Daegon was a baby he starved himself completely for 5 days...yep, he didn't eat for that long. But I'm far more stubborn than he can ever hope to be and he soon realised that if he didn't eat what was put in front of him he would go hungry.

Hi Dogsong, me thinks that he is getting enough to fill his tummy with the treats that are being handed out to him during the day, and it could even be that that is causing his bowel movements to be as they are. What are the treats that you are giving him?

To stop the loose bowels, I always have on hand from the Vet Peptosil, clears the problem up in no time at all, but if it is a stomach bug he needs to have a lining on his stomach, so give him some plain Yoghurt with the abc cultures and put a teaspoon full of honey mixed into a tablespoon of yoghurt to make it taste nice to him, do this three times a day until all is resolved. :champagne:

agree with shek. It doesnt hurt them to do without. I just take the food away, if they wont eat it in the morning then I try again that night. If they do it again I wont offer for another day. They soon get hungry.

With the diahrea, once you are able to get him to eat, chicken and rice is good to bound him up.

Maybe even try giving chicken necks, works for my dogs if they get the shits :champagne:

Also, what treats are you giving the dog? Smoked bacon flavours and some of the pigs ears that are smoked or have that flavouring give my dogs diahorrea, in fact one of my dogs seems to be very allergic to them.

Also make sure that there is always plenty of fresh water, change water daily.

Are you feeding him anything other than eaglepack? How about offering him a chicken wing or neck or similar?

I agree with stop feeding the treats for now it could be that they are too rich and are giving him the diahrea and because they are much more interesting than the eaglepack he would rather them than eat his normal dinner.

Make sure that he is well hydrated and give him ice blocks. Dogs can dehydrate very quickly when they have the runs.

Maybe boil up some rice and chicken for him and see how he goes on that.

Hope he is feeling better soon

he gets a huge big chicken leg every few days, but the last time i gave him one, he wouldn't eat it, so i hvaen't been giving it to him for a while

Thanks Mjosa, will try the yogurt and vet peptosil :champagne:

eta: he gets homemade peanut butter biccies, it usually doesnt give him an upset tummy, so i don't think that's it?

Edited by dogsong

Don't hand feed him you'll form bad habits.

Put the food down for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes pick it back up whether the dog has eaten or not. Don't feed the dog ANYTHING else until next meal time and try again.

If you keep giving the dog other food to choose from and keep feeding treats between meals because you're worried about not eating he'll just keep refusing his dinner.

He wont starve to death, and if he's been checked out by a vet he's just being stubborn...you just have to be more stubborn than him.

When Daegon was a baby he starved himself completely for 5 days...yep, he didn't eat for that long. But I'm far more stubborn than he can ever hope to be and he soon realised that if he didn't eat what was put in front of him he would go hungry.

:champagne:

but in general, he doesn't want to eat anything but treats.

Of course he doesn't, if you give a child ice cream, lollies and chocolate biscuits all day will the child want to eat its dinner? Ditch the treats completely and follow shekhina's excellent advice. Also it could be the peanuts that are upsetting him, peanuts are high fibre and almost impossible for dogs to digest and it's possible that they're irritating the lining of his bowel. A small amount occasionally as a special treat is fine, but it sounds as if you're overdoing it.

he never used to be like that. sometimes I think having a lab is better than a sibe because you don't have to worry about them not eating lol

he just ate a bit of kibbles, he didn't finish it so I've picked it up and will see how it goes next meal.