Have You Ever Removed Your Dogs Stitches Yourself?

SarasMum

My dogs stitches are due out tomorrow but I just dont think I am going to make it to the vets. I have so much on tomorrow (and this afternoon) that I was contemplating doing it myself. The problem is I am not totally sure how to do it without hurting her. She has heaps of them around her ear where she tried to de-ear herself on the fence. She has had an elizabethan collar on all week because she was scratching and she has finally broken that this morning so its exposed to her foot now and I wont be able to stop her scratching them and maybe pulling them.

Any suggestions on what to do and if I was to take them out myself what would I use? Nail clippers?

I have taken most of our boys stitches out myself. I usually take them to the vet for a checkup first and then take them home and remove the stitches.

I do it this way because the vet would need to sedate my guys before they could get close enough with a blade to removed them. It is much easier for all concerned if the vet gives me a blade and I do the job myself.

I have always removed our guys stitches myself - nail scissors work well as Puggles said. That said though, I have had a fair bit of vet nurse experience and am comfortable with it. Just check for redness, swelling and weepiness - if there is any go back to the vet.

No :D I was going to!! i was allll ready to take Kaos'out, i had my vet nurse flat mate watching me - but no one was strong enough to keep Kaos still soi could cut them. So i ended up having to hold her.

Will have to wait and try on Atlas next time he gets some

I called the vet and made an appt for Sunday. I didnt even know he opened on Sundays. Not bad for a country vet. I had a look at the stitches and they are really tight, I dont think I could manage it myself. She has started scratching a bit and a couple have small blood spots, I hope she doesnt do any further damage before Sunday. I have a sock and some electrical tape, I might try to tape a sock to her foot, she will probably chew it off though.

Thanks for your replies.

Edited to add that there are not one or two stitches, there are dozens right around her ear.

Edited by SarasMum

I have a sock and some electrical tape, I might try to tape a sock to her foot, she will probably chew it off though.

:D :laugh: that would be a funny sight!

sounds like alot of stitches, i would probably go to the vets. at least that way they can also check it has healed properly.

<I have a sock and some electrical tape, I might try to tape a sock to her foot, she will probably chew it off though.>

Good luck with that LOL! You could spray it with something nasty. If you don't have bitters or something try some Aerogard. Mine don't like the taste of that at all.

There's no real physical reason stopping people from removing sutures themselves - in itself it is a relatively simple procedure. I like to take sutures out myself so that I can check how wounds have healed and satisfy myself that everything is ok. Sutures from speys and castrates aren't so important, but with a big surgery I want to know that everything is ok before we "undo" it, so to speak. It's nothing personal!

As SnT said, you've got a few days grace on taking sutures out. I have taken sutures out of a rabbit, and JRT that had been in place for 3 mths and 1 year respectively :D The owners has just forgotten about them.

If it's been a messy type wound from an injury (rather than a straight incision) it might be better to get someone else to take them out.

If you do take them out get her to the vet in a few days time to make sure you got them all. Taking out sutures isn't difficult, but sometimes recognising embedded sutures in messy wounds can be.

There's no real physical reason stopping people from removing sutures themselves - in itself it is a relatively simple procedure. I like to take sutures out myself so that I can check how wounds have healed and satisfy myself that everything is ok. Sutures from speys and castrates aren't so important, but with a big surgery I want to know that everything is ok before we "undo" it, so to speak. It's nothing personal!

As SnT said, you've got a few days grace on taking sutures out. I have taken sutures out of a rabbit, and JRT that had been in place for 3 mths and 1 year respectively :laugh: The owners has just forgotten about them.

OUCH!!

Stupid question of the day :D

Do people and dog stitches heal the same - i mean, mine were in my foot for 15 days, and my skin had grown around it - if they were in a dog that long, wouldn tthe same thing happen?

I've removed the remnants of stitches that were removed by our local vets on two dogs this week alone. The stitch I removed today was the embeded not section and I wouldn't do that many knots on a hook to catch a shark. :D :laugh::laugh::(:(

Otherwise the healing process was good.

Chris

TB - yeah, they heal at about the same rate. Ideally take them out at about the 10 day mark. How much trouble they cause depends on the suture materials, the two cases I saw had nylon sutures in that becames reasonably loose as the wounds healed - it's a bit like dental floss.

Having had stitches removed with a blade myself, I can honestly say to use sharp nail scissors - the action of the blade pulls on the stitches and it can HURT!

The only stitches I have taken back to the vet for removal in years were a couple in the corner of an eyelid on a 4 mth old pup - no way was I going to risk poking him in the eye! He turned out to be as good as gold, but the extra pair of hands was essential.