What Heartworm Tablet Do You Use For A Greyhound?

Hi

I have been thinking about changing Tielle off Interceptor. Her previous owner used Interceptor and while it seems ok it seems to me to be overkill to worm her every month. She is a house pet. I rang the greyhound vet at Hurlstone Park and he recommended the once a year Proheart injection.

Having read so much bad stuff on here about the annual injection, I am loathe to try it on her at age 8.

My other dogs were on the Proheart tablets, but are currently on the annual injection, with no problems, although they might not have it again despite several vets swearing to me there are no adverse reactions that they have heard of.

Thanks for your input

Wendy

Hi

I have been thinking about changing Tielle off Interceptor. Her previous owner used Interceptor and while it seems ok it seems to me to be overkill to worm her every month. She is a house pet. I rang the greyhound vet at Hurlstone Park and he recommended the once a year Proheart injection.

Having read so much bad stuff on here about the annual injection, I am loathe to try it on her at age 8.

My other dogs were on the Proheart tablets, but are currently on the annual injection, with no problems, although they might not have it again despite several vets swearing to me there are no adverse reactions that they have heard of.

Thanks for your input

Wendy

I use revolution - fleas & heartworm and have had no problems (and no fleas).

annieK

I dont have a greyhound, but i use heartgard monthly and drontal every 3months for my dogs. I like doing them seperatly aswell, as the products which do everything every month seem like a bit of an over kill to me.

I have a greyhound and she's been on Interceptor (now Interceptor Spectrum) since I adopted her in August 2002. I've had zero problems, and every vet we've consulted support or recommend the use of this particular product for h/w and intestinal worms. I have no issues with intestinal wormers being used monthly as long as the dosage is accurate. I am very confident with using this product. :thumbsup:

I would NOT use anything other than Interceptor or Sentinel on your Greyhound. I have an Ivermectin Sensitive breed( Rough Collies) and the latest info I have is that they have now discovered that breeds such as most Sighthounds, Akitas, GSD's are aslo known ti be Ivermectin Sesnitive so therefore should NOT be given Proheart of any kind, Revolution , Heartgard or any of the drugs that have "mectin" products in them

If you want more details feel free to PM me and i can email you a list of No drugs

I had my Rough Collie DNA tested for the Ivermectin Sensitivity and she is affected. Test costs around $60.00

I would NOT use anything other than Interceptor or Sentinel on your Greyhound. I have an Ivermectin Sensitive breed( Rough Collies) and the latest info I have is that they have now discovered that breeds such as most Sighthounds, Akitas, GSD's are aslo known ti be Ivermectin Sesnitive so therefore should NOT be given Proheart of any kind, Revolution , Heartgard or any of the drugs that have "mectin" products in them

This is interesting, as loads of greyhound trainers use ivermectin, and I haven't heard of any issues. I would be interested to find out more about this - do you have any links to info??