Moses Is Dead

thegownchick

All my life I have been passionate about dogs, loved them, prefered them to people. But yesterday, an old dog we were looking after killed the most precious thing I had ... my budgie Moses. My elderly dog died in September and Moses was all I had. He and I spent all day every day together, he chatted, he kissed, and now he's DEAD!!!!! AND HE WAS ONLY 3. We were all here, it happened so fast, please don't flame me. I am just beyond myself with grief and I don't know where to run. My husband says "no more dogs" so that's it. No dog fostering, no dog minding, no dog anything ever again. After Rusty died, I still had Moses, now I have nothing. God how I wish there was a rainbow bridge. :mad:(:cry::cry:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'm sorry :mad

RIP Moses

I lost one of my ratties in a somewhat similar situation once and it devestated me, so I will not flame you

Don't let it affect future relationshsips with pets though, just think of all the good they bring, this hurts, but it only hurts cos you loved him, and that is not a bad thing

When my cat had just turned 1 he broke the cage and killed one of my mice - and not just any mouse but my very first mouse who was also one month away from her 4th birthday. I could have killed that damn cat... but yes, sometimes that is what happens with animals. Instinct takes over, even when they are well trained.

No flaming from me either.

RIP moses. Big hugs to you.

Thank you guys, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I just wanted someone to talk to. My husband had to go away this morning and I'm here on my own, with my grief, and it all seems too overwhelming. There will be people I'm sure who will say "oh it was just a budgie, go buy another one, they only cost $20" or something, but there will never ever be another little mate like him.

I'm not good with grief. I remember this feeling when Rusty died and I thought that was it for me for a while. I have all the books on pet loss and grief already and they don't help. All I need right now is unconditonal love and I won't get that till my darling OH gets home.

Thanks for listening.

I feel your pain :cry: We lost our heart dog Roo back in june, and I think about her all the time, I still wake at night and lay and think about her :mad

And I understand the bond you have with budgie's, I will never get over the loss my boy Josh, he was my buddy he wen't everywhere with me, he had run of the house, he would wake me in the morning, he would fly into our room and land on me and wisper, "I love my Mummy, I love my Mummy" he was a very special boy, I could go on and on about the things he did.

Still to this day, years on I can't discuss the way he went, and I have had lots of different birds since, but none like my Josh.

I hope you can one day be able to get another pet.

RIP Moses :(

I'm sure you and Josh have a lot to say to each other.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

My first ever rat was killed by a cat of mine years ago, I was devastated. I never felt any anger towards the cat, but I just didn't know how I would ever be able to breathe without pain again.

Time DOES heal things, hopefully that time helps you heal as well as your OH realising that having no dogs around isn't the best way to cope with things.

:mad

Oh you poor thing. I know how much budgies can mean to people after my little Pacey. As if flame you, these things do happen. My pair of dogs managed to get through the big cage we had in the back when we were out. Came home to no birds and lots of feathers so don't blame yourself and give your husband some time as yourself to get over it.

RIP Moses.

Trying hard to breathe and carry on here. You know how you're an empty shell, numb, with nothing inside, but you have to keep your legs walking and you keep going through your daily chores forcing yourself to keep moving? That is me. Today is two days without Moses. The breeder I bought him from, a family friend, has given me a five week old baby budgie and he is the splitting image of Moses. My knees nearly buckled when I saw him. So he's in Moses' bird palace (it's not a cage, it's a palace, huge thing, full of toys and perches and everything) and I'm TRYING real hard. I keep talkign to me but he doesn't seem to like me much. I vaguely remember three years ago when I got Moses that he tried to get away from me and he didn't like me much either. So maybe this will work out. I have had to get out my two budgie training books again and try to remember how I did it. I don't know if I trained Mo or he trained me. And the worst of it is, I can't think of a name for this baby. I've tried Baby or Sweetie but that doesn't work. I thought maybe something else Biblical like Noah but that doesn't work either. Poor little no-name budgie. Such a tiny little baby. AT least I have a focus I guess.

One thing I am really upset about (one MORE thing??) is that there doesn't seem to be alot of grief support for pet less. Internet sites sure but not physical actual pet loss grief therapy. A support group would be a big help right now. The RSPCA in Victoria has one but I'm in Brisbane. I thought about starting one but I'm not qualified and I've never led a group before anyway.

I just keep thinking there's got to be a way to make this pain die down, there has to be.

Grief support counselling would be a good idea, but like you said there doesn't seem to be a lot around for us animal lovers. I know that if the gods forbid I lost one of my guys I would be hit as hard should I lose a family member. My animals are with me all the time, they are everything I have.

When I was reading about your new budgie the name Noah jumped into my head straight away, it's a shame that doesn't appear to be working :mad

There will be people I'm sure who will say "oh it was just a budgie, go buy another one, they only cost $20" or something, but there will never ever be another little mate like him.

Never, ever listen to people who tell you that :thumbsup: An animal's worth is in no way based on how much you paid for them or how easy it is to "replace" them. Every animal whether it's a bird or a dog is a living, breathing creature that is capable of emotion and love. You could never put a price on these things!

My mother recently lost her budgie due to old age and I know she never saw him as "That free bird I took on when no-one wanted him". He was her little friend and she loved him very dearly.

We lost a young guinea pig too many years ago when the dog broke into his hutch. I'm sure she only meant to play with him as he didn't have a mark on him, but it seemed that his little heart couldn't take the stress. She's a deerhound so the chase instinct was strong and he was a brave little guy who wouldn't have thought to hide, he ran right out into the open. It was heartbreaking, but accidents happen.

Sending hugs and condolonces your way :( Just take it each day at a time and the pain will fade in time.

Edited by jaybeece

3years ago I lost my young cockatoo Hoshi, to beak and feather disease. I had her for seven months, people thought I was an idiot as I was devistated, even the vet didnt get my reaction to the announcement of her death and asked me if I wanted her to put IT in a plastic bag. AHHH

Birds are super pets, three months prior to Hoshi's death I got Froggy my staffy, I dont know how I would have made it through without her.

Keep strong Moses and Rusty are now together looking out for each other and you.

Maybe you could get in touch with the local vets and see if there are others who have lost pets who may like to get together, maybe not as good as councilling but might help.

I'm so sorry, I feel your pain.

My budgie flew away 24th December this year. :thumbsup:

She had free flight of our house. We had accidently taken her outside before, without us noticing. (She use to sleap on our shoulders) She happened to fly in the room when my brother was opening the door, and she was off.

It's been 5 long days, and no siting. :(

TGC, please accept my sympathy for the sad and tragic loss of Moses. What a terrible shock for you, I am just so sorry.

We all grieve in our own way and in our own time, books and people can only offer guidelines so that you may have a better understanding of the process.

Sending you hugs and good thoughts during your time of sadness. The rainbow bridge has many that share the loss of their greatly loved companions, take heart in the understanding this can bring.

:thumbsup:

"oh it was just a budgie, go buy another one, they only cost $20"

I had one of my budgies put to sleep when I was 12, the vet told me to "stop crying, it's only a bird". I'm so glad we have a better vet now!

Re: pet loss, I know of a few in Victoria but none near me, I;m thinking about starting one up. I have no experience I have no idea what to do, but I'm still reeling from loosing my darling girl in Feb this year.