Anyone Here Feed There Dog Rabbit?

koolietas

Sucker here spent $11 on a fresh farmed rabbit for Koolie last night...it was his first 'experience' with rabbit - and boy did he like it!

He stood by the back door for over an hour after he'd finished as if to say "where's the other half". He usually gets chicken, roo, lamb & pork bones...so I suppose rabbit is pretty different to those meats.

I found it quite hard to chop the rabbit in half though - kept thinking about all those fluffy bunnies :thumbsup:

I have given mine rabbit, Just wish I could get it cheaper and I would feed it more regularly. I can get minced rabbit from pet store but it has preservative in it. Maybe someone knows of somewhere we could get it cheaper, I am in Melbourne? Certainly nice and lean. I know what you mean about chopping it in half, I wimped out and asked the butcher to do it. :thumbsup:

did a google search and found this.

seems to be the general consensus.

Wild rabbit would have to be one of the most suitable all round meat sources for both dogs and cats. It is a free range, organic meat, low in fat, and high in nutritional value. However, as it is now virtually unavailable in Australia, any rabbit meat available for pet meat would most likely be from farmed rabbits, hence, all the advantages just mentioned are lost. If you can catch your own – highly rated.

Yep, ours LURV it! :rolleyes:

We DID have a bunnie population problem at our place. Then OH did too good of a job with the rifle. Now he has to go shooting at friends places, to keep the supply of fresh bunny up to our four.

OH just guts the bunnies, to get rid of any nasties & gives the whole bunnie to the dogs. Fur, head, the lot. The dogs are always looking for more.............. :rolleyes:

It's great for the dogs, they think "they" have made the kill & shake the carcess & get blood on their paws & have a wonderful tome crunching the bunny :laugh:

I wish I could afford rabbit. I (with hope in my heart...silly me! :rolleyes: ) priced it again last week. About $18.00 for a whole, dressed bunny. That would do Lilly for one meal. :rolleyes: :p

Sorry, but it's just too expensive...not like the prices I was seeing in Melbourne...cheap as! :laugh:

would love to be able to feed my 10 on rabbit...altho yesterday Lucky excelled himself and cought and ate one ( i am so proud of him as the first time he caught a hare it screamed and lucky got such a fright he dropped it and ran away)

years ago when we lived at wallangarra our dog ate fresh rabbit a couple of time a week ( we would go shoot a couple)

Sucker here spent $11 on a fresh farmed rabbit for Koolie last night...it was his first 'experience' with rabbit - and boy did he like it!

He stood by the back door for over an hour after he'd finished as if to say "where's the other half". He usually gets chicken, roo, lamb & pork bones...so I suppose rabbit is pretty different to those meats.

I found it quite hard to chop the rabbit in half though - kept thinking about all those fluffy bunnies :rofl:

My dogs catch their own rabbits when they can, sometimes the next door neighbour skins, guts and quarters them so they get an even share but usually they just munch away at it until it is no more than a piece of fur. They even eat the head, ears and eyes etc...

When we lived at Mathoura we backed onto the Barmah forest and rabbits were in plague proportion. The dogs lived on mostly rabbit. On a walk our lab surprised and caught a rabbit so the other two dogs chased him. He swallowed the rabbit whole and while on the run!! The other dogs spent about 5mins sniffing and searching for it while the lab layed down burping and couldn't move for quite a while.

It could only have been a lab.

For those in Melbourne, I recommed a store called "petlove". Claire makes and sells dog food. Mine love the rabbit, which has been minced with vegies and other good stuff. No preservatives, so I bag it up and freeze it. Check out the website petlove.com.au

• 6 months later...

Is it OK for dogs to eat the WHOLE rabbit, guts and all? My boyfriend shot a rabbit yesterday and my almost 6-month-old girl had her first taste of live (almost) prey. Needless to say, she loved it. I'm just worried about her eating the liver (my boyfriend's previous dog used to get sick if he ate it) as I'm not sure that she knows to leave that. Bf's dog will eat the whole rabbit and leave just the guts.

Guest Pandii

MIne get whole gutted rabbitts, OH shoots them

They get a whole one each as a meal and love it

Ok guys not sure if this is a really dumb question but do you have to be careful when feeding feral rabbits you have shot. On the farm we always used the kangaroo meat from a shoot but never the rabbit. I figured it was because of the poisons used on some properties but the more i think about it now the darn things are still running around when you shoot them so wouldnt that meant the poison wouldnt be in there system.

Sorry just wanted to get clarification on that one cause if they are ok to use ill be putting in a order the next time the boys go out :thumbsup:

Guest Pandii

Find out if the property has been laying bait or anyone in the area has been laying bait, if not you whould be fine, my OH shoots them and we have been feeding for over 12 months and no one is sick