Vaccination Protocol

Jed

Dr. Jean Dodd from America, is the world expert on vaccinations. Below is her recommendations for vaccination protocol. This protocol was adopted by the AVA a few years ago.

NEW!!! VACCINATION PROTOCOL

by Dr. Jean Dodd

I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in

North America are in the process of changing their protocols for

vaccinating dogs and cats. Some of this information will present an ethical

& economic challenge to Vets, and there will be skeptics. Some

organizations have come up with a political compromise suggesting

vaccinations every 3 years to appease those who fear loss of income vs.

those concerned about potential side effects. Politics, traditions, or the

doctors

economic well-being should not be a factor in a medical decision.

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY

Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified

live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces

immunity, which is good for the life of the pet (I.e.: canine distemper,

parvo,feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the

antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the

second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted"

nor are more memory cells induced. Not only are annual boosters for

parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks

of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is

no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual

administration of MLV vaccines. Puppies receive antibodies through their

mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies &

kittens

should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will

neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first highly

effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather

than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given

starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another

vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at l year 4 MO)

will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY.

I ve spoken to 67 vets about this during some fishing for a research project early last year . Some dont want to by pass the yearly vaccination protocol because they believe that dog owners wont bring their dogs in then each year for a check up . They are probably right which equals loss of income and potentailly loss of the pick up of problems in early stage. But whether giving the vacs when they arent needed and possible side effects to that arent addressed.

Some go by nothing but what the drug companies tell them and the drug companies are still telling them they need to do it yearly though I believe they are now saying 3 yearly is O.K.

Some are changing and introducing a new protocol with boosters every 3 years but most were talking this up as if it were a new super duper drug which was more potent and more expensive than the others when in fact it is the same .

Privately a couple said they agreed with this protocol but I didnt find any that were prepared to tell their clients that they didnt need to give any more vaccinations.

Although i compleatly agree with it, and would follow the recomendations(if i didnt own a boarding kennel).

As a kennel operator i would not be willing to take a 5 yr old dog or cat that had not had its vaccination

done yearly. Actualy we are bound by our COE not to take them.

Although i compleatly agree with it, and would follow the recomendations(if i didnt own a boarding kennel).

As a kennel operator i would not be willing to take a 5 yr old dog or cat that had not had its vaccination

Would you take one that the vet has marked not due for vac for 3 years instead of annually

The cynic in me says that vets are less concerned with losing annual vaccination income than they are losing the income from treating the chronic side effects of annual vaccination, many of which need lifelong management and medication, like epilepsy etc.

Which AVA adopted Jean's protocol, was it the US one? I spoke to Sydney University Vet Dept recently, and they were adamant that they would not recommend a 3 yearly protocol, unless it was a specific 3 yr vaccine, and only if this tested out ok (they are still running trials on it apparently)

What about kennel cough?

After several recent vet visits I have been hassled repeatedly, to remind me that my adult dogs were overdue for vaccination.

I replied that I was not vaccinating every year anymore and faced much disapproval, but was told I should at least be giving kennel cough vacc annually.

I'd be curious to see if anyone is following this in Oz?

We have dropped to the Sydney Vet Hospital protocol and vaccinate adult dogs every 3rd year only.

I do not vaccinate any of our pups before 8 weeks of age. I have never given annual Vaccinations, they get vaccinated one year from their last puppy shot and that's it..

Having said that my dogs never go into boarding kennels (they did once). This is something we have done and believed for years.

We also vaccinate all pregnant bitches at six weeks gestation with CPV.

Edited by PAX

Why do you vaccinate pregnant bitches? I thought that one went out of fashion twenty years ago?

I would be very scared of injecting toxic preservatives and adjuvants into a pregnant bitch in case they crossed the placenta, as well as the immunological assault at a very vulnerable time for bitch and puppies.

None of my dogs has ever had a post puppy shot since the seventies, and have only had 5 cases of cancer in almost 100 dogs in that time, only one of which was fatal. No epilepsy, diabetes, arthritis or any other chronic disease in that time, apart from a few with ear infection problems (a problem in the breed)

Why do you vaccinate pregnant bitches? I thought that one went out of fashion twenty years ago?

I would be very scared of injecting toxic preservatives and adjuvants into a pregnant bitch in case they crossed the placenta, as well as the immunological assault at a very vulnerable time for bitch and puppies.

None of my dogs has ever had a post puppy shot since the seventies, and have only had 5 cases of cancer in almost 100 dogs in that time, only one of which was fatal. No epilepsy, diabetes, arthritis or any other chronic disease in that time, apart from a few with ear infection problems (a problem in the breed)

Morgan I guess it's what ever works for you. I have never had a dog with cancer EVER, epilepsy, diabetes or anything else so it works for us. My husband is a vet. :thumbsup:

We believe vaccinating pregnamt bitches gives the pups the highest immunity, but that is our opinion and what works for us.

Morgan

Which AVA adopted Jean's protocol, was it the US one?

Australian. I believe only about 55% of vets are members.

Pax, I always understood that vac. a preg bitch with live vaccine could lead to death of the pups, and in fact, I had one vac about 15 years ago, and all the pups did die.

Is there a specific time to vaccinate?

toohey - kennel cough is rarely fatal, and dogs which are out and about a bit do develop immunity anyhow, and it seems that the protocol recommended does work.

I haven't vac. my dogs after 1 year for years. Had a titre test done on a 2 year old, and the anti bodies were through the roof, so didn't bother.

What about kennel cough?

After several recent vet visits I have been hassled repeatedly, to remind me that my adult dogs were overdue for vaccination.

I replied that I was not vaccinating every year anymore and faced much disapproval, but was told I should at least be giving kennel cough vacc annually.

We still do kc annually. It is too virulent not to in my opinion.

Would you take one that the vet has marked not due for vac for 3 years instead of annually

Untill our COE is changed, no i would not.

What about kennel cough?

Dogs that get the KC VAC every year can still get KC, its like the human cold, what it does do, is lessen

the serverity of KC. KC can turn nasty and kill dogs. It is a vac that does not stay in the dogs system

so yearly vac is recomended. There is a misconception that KC is only caught in Boarding kennels.

Its an air born virous and your dog can catch it any where.

The only time mine have ever had KC was from a show at Castle Hill where the dogs sitting next to us were coughing. By the time I could find somewhere else to sit it was too late :rainbowbridge:

Managed to fix it in a few days, but not before every single dog at home had caught it. Seeing as this is the only KC incident I have had in over 30 years of showing, I could have wasted a helluva lot of money on C5s for all the dogs I've had here, not to mention seriously damage their health.

Untill our COE is changed, no i would not.

We need to get the DPI or whoever is responsible for the laws in each state to allow at least a titre test as being a suitable replacement for a current vaccine. After this we may be more likely to get it changed to 3 yearly vaccs.

I emailed those in Vic responsible about 2 years ago and it didn't go very far - they wanted to know my agenda?????

Probably time to pester them again.

We need to get the DPI or whoever is responsible for the laws in each state to allow at least a titre test as being a suitable replacement for a current vaccine.

Law? I wasn't aware that it was 'illegal' to not vaccinate your dog ............... I believe it is a policy of boarding kennel establishments to request current vaccination certificates and not a legal requirement? Or perhaps it is a legal requirement that they only accept vaccinated dogs?

Can someone clarify.