Puts Paws In The Water Bowl...

musik

Hi folks,

When our golden retriever pup first came home last week at 8 wks old he started walking through his water bowl and putting his paws in it when he drank. The first day it was kinda cute and we had paper down anyway so it wasn't so bad, a day or so later when he did it we make a loud 'UH!' noise and say NO! and dry his paws off. So far it's not working very well and he still likes to do it. :)

I know that before we got him the pups were kept outside and due to the heat in Victoria were encouraged to wet themselves in their water bowls and play in mud etc to keep cool.

I've stopped filling his water bowl up too much (I keep a very close eye on it when it needs topping up as I work from home and can supervise). It's not even a very big bowl, I guess at the moment his paws are still quite small.

I'd like to be able to get him out of the habit as he is an inside dog and once he gets bigger he will be able to roam freely around most of the house including carpeted areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for strategies on how we can stop him doing this stuff?

I don't mind when he plays with the water outside in his play kids shell thingy which has water in it, but inside how to stop playing/putting paws in the water inside.

Thanks in advance!

Rose

:) That's so cute :rofl:

Orson loves doing it!!!!! :) This was from a DOL meet early in the year

post-6936-1168938877_thumb.jpg

I find Orson hardly does it when he's inside. The house is all tiles except the bedrooms and loungeroom so he can sleep on the tiles and cool down. I always have to big bath towel handy incase he does decide to do it. It's right next to his water bowl.....

Get a narrower water bowl, maybe that will stop him cos he'll only be able to put 1 paw in at most......

Maybe put his bowl up on something - high enough to drink from but not to get his feet in. Also put a large rock/brick in their so he can only drink and not paddle.

Very cute though. My poodles puppies are doing the same thing at the moment. He he he.

My dogs do it to get cool in the summer. They dig in the bowl and splash the water up underneath themselves.

No stopping them unless you get a bowl that is too small to do it in...even then they will probably tip it and lay on the wet floor.

Ditto! and there isnt really any point in stopping it especially when you have a breed that love water!

I have a 64 gallon drum cut into thirds and thats Ramses swimming/drinking/making a mess bowl and then there is the stainless steel vowl that my other little dog Sasha drinks from.

If its hot there is no stopping Ramses he loves his water :)

There a couple of options with different bowls. Cody has the "Drink-N-Tidy Water well. http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopp...mp;cart_id=2105 Your pup would have a harder time getting a paw in there, although they can be quite resourceful little buggers. :cheer:

On the way to dog training with Helen and Steve, Ramses was the only one in the boot. There was one of those water well things it was empty. Ramses chewed the whole thing! :eek::)

I reakon in the middle of the desert a golden retriever would find water to paddle in - :cheer: - most are obsessed with it. I just provide buckets and bowls of water so there is lots around and never runs out.

Edited by Onslowsmum

humphrey our almost 2 yo boxer combines drinking with bath time

All i can say is make sure theres plenty of water outside :cheer:

For the inside, use a smaller bowl that basically allows pup to have a drink then has to be refilled.

I reakon in the middle of the desert a golden retriever would find water to paddle in - :cheer: - most are obsessed with it. I just provide buckets and bowls of water so there is lots around and never runs out.

Cody's obsession is open water. He hates the hose and is not even fond of the clam pool. He will swim in a small puddle though and the lake or river must be swum in even if it's the middle of a Canberra winter. :)

:eek: at the replies!! Ok, well I am glad it's not just me then! :cheer:

I'll have a think about how to best put the water up a big higher, maybe attach something to the wall so he can only drink from it and not put paws in, but strong enough so if he decides to put paws up on it - it won't fall on his head!

Those clamshell thingys are fab idea. Outside I don't mind how much water he plays with, just inside I would like to curb it so he will be allowed on carpeted areas too when he gets old enough to wander about when we are home.

We bought a holiday caravan down on the Yarra up bush the other week, he hasn't had his second shot yet so he hasn't been able to indulge in the river... yet :)

I can't wait to see his reaction to it :(