Conchita And James

Dust Angel

With a heavy heart we drive to the farm to say goodbye, my grandmother, heartbroken meets us at the gate. So independent it was only when she asked for us to be there that we new just how hard she was taking this. Round to the stables and there you were, mother and son enjoying your last meal together, so quite and subdued do you know what is going on? We take photos, we have many but somehow its never enough. We stroke your long fluffy donkey ears, take a little mane to remember you by.

The vet is late, it starts to rain, the first in months is the sky weeping for you too? He pulls up in front of the stables tries to be cheerful but cant muster it gives both a pat and a sedative, the skies open up and it begins to pour. You follow us out to the paddock and Peter parks the car between you so neither has to watch the passing of the other.

Mother first, as you close your eyes to sleep your final sleep an impossibly loud crack of thunder shakes the earth - despite the tears i smile, seeing you in all your donkey wrath kicking down the gates to the bridge and demanding entrance and turning to wait for your son as he joins you - always quieter - he peacefully follows you through the gate taking in the bridge and its occupants in his gentle way. Grandad is there waiting with Sandyman and Nubuck the two big buckskin hunters, Tina and Shilo who crossed over not too long ago and a miasma of loved and missed faces.

You both enter and canter around before settling to eat the lush green grass and wait, wait for the lady who loved you with a fierce dedication all your life, the lady that stands in front of me weeping gently at the loss of her dear friends, shoulders slumped, seemingly aged more so in the last half and hour, body soaked by the rain, face soaked by the tears. We walk away and leave you knowing soon will come the machinery to lay you to rest together in death as you were in life. We will miss the two of you i know grandma does more so then she will ever say.

100_3107.jpg

Thankyou everyone for your kind words i will pass your sentiments on to my grandmother.

What beautiful creatures they were, what ever was wrong with them?

Conchita was 29 and James was 26 both had lost thier teeth and had constant feet problems as well as athritis - James also had a cist forming over one eye, Conchita had started to have problems drinking - most of the water simply dribbled back out again. We thought it neither fair nor necessary for them to gradually decline in health untill they were both suffering incredibly. Seeing as how they had spent their entire life together we also felt it unfair to let one live on without the other only to have the same conclusion a month or so down the track. It wasnt a desicion that was made easily or lightly.