Heart Worm Query?

EllieD

Would you rather the injection that lasts for 12 months for heart worm, or to worm monthly.......I know its more convenient for the 12 months injection, but what do you think is the better?

Our greyhounds have always had ProHeart 12. Neither they nor I have any issues or bad experiences with it. I was starting to hesitate with both vaccinations and heartworm injections for our oldest grey, who passed away last year, but simply because of her age, not because there had been any negative affects from either.

Both my dogs have had this Hero once and Lola twice with no ill side effects. Hero is actually due again soon but am a bit wary from what some people have said on here- I'm just so darn forgetful that the injection means I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks so much for that information, my girl has been on the injections.........I never knew if I was doing the right thing or not, so I'm going to put her on the monthly now after listening to what you have to say!

:(

Thanks

EllieD

Hmm havnt been a member for very long, so I have not seen the discussions about the injections. I have just done a search but for some reason I cant use it, can someone please put a link on for me. I didnt know there was an issue with it, got my boy done 2 weeks a go. Youre damned if you do, youre damned if you dont, LOL

I used the monthly chewable until my boy was around 9 months then switched to the yearly injection. He is now 5 and a half and we have not had any problems. I was overdue with his last one but he had a heartworm test and was fine. Is there an issue with its protection properties or that it stays in the system for a year (but isn't this like vaccinations?? Sorry another topic I'm sure :confused: ). I also haven't seen discussion on this so will go do a search! What about the all-in-one flea, worm, heartworm etc etc spot on treatments? Got me worried now :):confused:

Lola just had hers and she flew through it, no side effects at all.. she was off her food for a day, and one runny poo but that was it, she was back into it with the problem child and the 5YO.

Spoke to the vet about it, raised all the concerns (he hates it when I have questions.. :rofl: ) and he has yet to have a dog with a major reaction and he dosent push it either... With all the mozzies we have around the lake here, im not taking any chances...

Why is it called a vaccination?

It is an injection of a long acting drug designed to poison microfilariae if an infected mosquito bites - it does not stimulate antibodies against heartworms!

Admittedly every single vaccination against a virus on the market contains poisonous chemicals as well as killed or live virus, but these injections are designed to produce antibodies, not poison the system.

Manufacturer's Warning Letter

I give my guys the Heartgard chews ... it is so easy because they think they are getting a treat and fight over who gets their first.

Now if only they made the all wormers in chews..... my life would be so much simpler :rofl: