Licking Stiches. [update With Pic]

Axle has been excessively licking and he started bleeding (from the recent desex). It wasn't only from licking but the vet said it contributed.

Now - they gave him a hat (those things that stop them licking) and it doesn't work. He just bends his head tighter so the entire thing goes into his lower area. IMO to get one that'll stop him from licking then it'd need to be double the size - this one is 20cm.

Is there any other way I can stop it? He only does it when I am not looking.

Edited by Midol

Poor Axle - I've had some luck with "wound guard" with spey lickers!

It s anticeptic with bitterent, so safe to use with a nasy taste. Usually stops them after the first lick.

Good luck.

annieK

Try a bucket or large plant pot. They don't funnel out as far as the elizabethian collars. Cut out the base, thread some tape through and tie it to a flat collar.

Axle will probably hate it but better than an infection.

Now we can see inside the stiches! Like they are pulling apart and there is a little hole half way down.

It is in between two stitches - is this alright or should he go BACK to the ER.

It was like this last night when we went as well but she had to pull it apart now it just does it by itself...

Midol - can you put a small adhesive bandage type thing over it? I had to resort to an Op-site plaster thing (which I had left over from my knee surgery) to stop Millie from licking her stitches. She couldn't have a buster collar on or she couldn't get out the dog door to toilet.

I found it worked well and I would change it daily and give the area time to breathe under supervision. You can get the Op-site bandage thingys (which incidentally are water proof) from chemists.

Without seeing the area that is pulling apart its hard to tell if you should go to ER or if without the licking interference it will knit back together on its own. Tough call. If you're worried though - maybe it would be worth the trip?

Edited by Georgie-boy

Hope he is ok.

You can always get a bigger elizabethan collar too. Rafael was desexed about a month ago - he had a 25cm collar on. 20cm wasn't enough, he could still contort himself to get to his stitches.

I went in today and they didn't even want to look at him! I told him there is about a .75cm area where his stitches are wide open (if he is standing or lying its fine but sitting its not - about 1-2mm apart) but they said it'd be fine.

I am going to take a photo and post it on here tomorrow.

He has a 25cm one now but can still reach the back set of stitches (there are two lines of them).

Through the day he doesn't wear his hat as Vicks does the job if I apply it every 45 minutes or so but I'll try and find a chemist open tomorrow and get a bandage. I don't think I can go any bigger with the hat as he'll get even shittier as he already has trouble getting into all his sleeping places.

He is definatly going to the normal vet on Tuesday.

Edited by Midol

Alright.

The same thing that happened the other weekend has happened again.

It was looking fine till some idiot left the door open so he took off running.

It looked EXACTLY like this and the ER folk said just go home and put this collar on him.

He is seeing the vet tomorrow morning - do you think it'll require a restitch or anything? This desex has already cost me well over $500 due to dickheads leaving doors open so he escapes and my idiot brother chasing him.

The blood has stopped now but the hole is still there.

stitchesholeon6.jpg

that does not look right...frgus got desexed thursday and his stitches look fan bloody tastic compared to that and i thought his were starting to look a wee bit dodgey!!!

maybe you should talk to a different vet!?!?!

We just had 4 public holidays :thumbsup: I was at the ER (paying an arm and a leg).

I went in on Saturday Sunday AND Monday concerned.

His stitches were looking great today till he ran and I only just noticed the blood about an hour ago. Mum was at the vets today and they said to bring him in if we are worried so I am tomorrow at 7am.

The vet said Axle will be more prone to problems due to where the stitches are.

ETA: I also have a high res version if anyone here is a vet or something and wants a closer look.

Edited by Midol

fergys had an undescended testy and his stitchs are similar!!!!have been tring to keep him quite but its hard...couldnt imagin how hard it would be to keep a husky quite!!!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

VERY hard. He is fine if no one comes into my part of the house but when I go out and such people keep letting him out.

We are going to see if we can buy/hire a crate from the vet tomorrow as I've never used a crate so I don't have one.

ETA: Yeah he only had one dropped ball.

ETA2: I was just observing and the hole closes at all times other than when he is licking/biting his foot. He doesn't even touch his stitches. I guess the vet is going to have to add another stitch in or something as to stop him licking his foot would need a 1m collar :thumbsup:

Edited by Midol

that doesnt look good, and those stitches look a bit tight.

can you go to another vet? sounds like your one doesnt really care too much. even if a collar is put on its still open to infection. and if Axle trys to rub his belly on carpet or grass to relieve the itching it will make it alot worse.

I'll see what the vet says tomorrow (as the consult is free) and if he doesn't impress me I'll try another one.

ETA: He is on antibiotics.

Remember - the vet that hasn't been caring isn't my usual vet but the ER vet. My vet said to bring him in whenever I want if I am concerned.

Edited by Midol

Vet said its looking better and the hole has closed up by itself over night (he poked and prodded).

He also said it might be right to get them out on Saturday!

How long should he be not 'full on' for after they come out or can we go back to excersize as normal?

shmoo - are you a vet/ vet nurse/ vet tech? Otherwise you can't really make that call about the stitches. If they are infected, then antibiotics may be indicated. Once infection sets in - it's very important to stop it.