Alternative To Nutro

Can't get hold of my usual supplier of Nutro and I'm down to my second last 2kg bag. I was so thrilled to have found a lovely lady who was able to send me 6 bags locally, however, with no luck reaching her, I think I may have to consider a different brand since there aren't many people/places that supply Nutro. My dogs have accepted and are doing well on Nutro so I'm a little disappointed that after less than 3 months to have to switch to another brand again. Can anyone suggest a brand that's as good as Nutro and preferably one that's available at most pet stores would be great? I've seen Nutrience sold at a nearby pet store, any good? My dogs are on senior diet for small breed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, with thanks!

My dogs love Nutrience and it is much easier to get. I tried Nutro for a while but did not think it worth all the hype and trouble buying it. I have also read it is a good idea to change brands regularly so I tend switch around a bit these days. Much better if you run out to know that they can happily accept alternative. Also I only feed dry in the morning and home prepared at night so my guys get plenty of variety.

I was also wondering the quality of Nutrience as where I get my fresh dog food has just started stocking it. I use pro plan at the moment and very happy with it. I did wonder how it compared as buying everything at the one shop would be handy :thumbsup:

Edited by Jordajake

We feed all our dogs Nutrience - dogs love it - hubby loves it (nice firm stools!)

We actually place breeder orders direct with Nutrience and pay breeders price (you have to order 2 bags at a time and they can be delivered to your local pet store.)

They have a website (www.nutrience.com or www.nutrience.com/australia/) which will give you more info re history, benefits, etc

I'd certainly recommend it!

I saw Nutrience in our local pet store- $99 for a 15kg bag (regional area, so probably not a competitive price). Same price as Nutro? Guy said the company guarantee it, so if your dog doesn't like it you can get a full refund. He said it was made in Canada, though bags were stamped "USA" (?).

Is this brand affected by the recent pet food recalls in the USA?

Been feeding Nutrience for a while, pretty good for my big breed so far, the poo has been pretty small, dark and firm. I like the ultra big crunch as pup has to chew it so it cleans her teech, they also smell like twisties (donno why). The kibbles also doesn't swell up in water much, I've been worried about that as pup seems to have a problem with kibbles that swell in water, she'll throw them back up after eating and drinking, I have that problem with Eagle Pack but none so far with Nutrience.

But to be fair, I must say it depends on dogs' individual response to ANY food. Eagle Pack didn't work for my dog but some dogs I know did very well on it. Nutrience on the other hand is really good for mine but a co-worker didn't agree, his dog did better on Royal Canin instead. He tried both with very different results compared to mine. Thus you must actually let your dog try a few brand to see a comparison.

I forgot if they are from Canada or USA, the bag has been thrown out, will check next time.

So far they hasn't been affected by the reacall I think (hope not). Their website said this,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News update: Nutrience foods WERE NOT affected by the recent product recalls.

No wheat or rice glutens (rice protein concentrate) are used in the production of our foods.

Dear valued customers, retailers and partners,

Nutrience would like to assure all pet parents that our canned and dry foods WERE NOT involved in the recent product recalls. None of the Nutrience product lines are created in any of the recalled production facilities.

* Nutrience uses only North American sourced grains and no animal by-products in all our dry and canned food formulas.

* We take great pride in producing our dry foods in our very own state-of-the-art facility (Hagen Pet Foods), with stringent quality controls, regular feeding trials and multiple-stage nutrient testing.

* No wheat or rice glutens are used to ingredient split the proteins in our foods. Only high quality chicken, lamb, duck or fish are used.

While Nutrience foods were not affected by these recent unfortunate events, we, nonetheless, would like to extend our heartfelt sympathies to all pets and pet parents who are presently suffering.

----------------------------------------------------

Edited by flycow

I paid 79 in Melbourne after member discount from pup's school. It retails at around $83-86 per 15kg. I think some places you can get it around $80 but that's melbourne. There's a loyalty program buy 10 get one free or something as well. I didn't bother to get it.

edited spelling.

Edited by flycow

Thanks, flycow for the Nutrience price. I'm looking to add a super premium dry food to our standard poodle's diet (replacing the Supercoat Puppy/ Bonnie Puppy mix, he gets raw bones, mice (edited: mince) etc. also).

I live in a regional area, so prices are all over the place. What do people pay for 15kg bags of brands like Eagle Pack, Nutro, Royal Canin? Even a RRP would be helpful as some local stores charge well over that. Info much appreciated :thumbsup: ...

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I have been feeding Nutro and was very pleased with it, but the last two bags I purchased had a funny chemical smell about them and only two of my dogs would willingly eat it, the other three were very reluctant and were eating a little but leaving most of it. When I contacted the supplier I was told that they'd changed the lining of the bags and that the smell of the lining had permeated the food. The suppliers were very good and replaced it with Eagle Pack Holistic which is what I used to use.

Looking at the condition of my dogs now I think that one dog does better on Nutro, but the others appear to be about the same so I will probably go back to Nutro when a new batch comes in. There's no point in me purchasing another bag from the same batch as it will obviously smell the same and I'll have the same problem with the dogs eating it.

I'd just like to add that the problem was with the food not the suppliers, I have never had any problems at all with the supplier, they have always given good service and been very nice to deal with.

Hi guys

I feed my girls Nutrience and they do really well on it, i started them on eagle pack but they were reluctant to eat it and much prefer the Nutrience. They have lovely shiny coats and easy poos to clean up!! On the other hand my mum feeds her show pup on Eagle pack and he loves it, though he is not in any way a fussy eater and loves my girls Nutrience too! I just brought a 7.5kg bag for $55 at Petstock I usually only get the 3kg bag which costs $26 it adds up to approx $1.35 a

day for my 25kg Border collie x Collie and 0.50c a day for my 4.5kg Mini Foxie. Hope this helps.

Sonovagun.

Can't get hold of my usual supplier of Nutro and I'm down to my second last 2kg bag. I was so thrilled to have found a lovely lady who was able to send me 6 bags locally, however, with no luck reaching her, I think I may have to consider a different brand since there aren't many people/places that supply Nutro. My dogs have accepted and are doing well on Nutro so I'm a little disappointed that after less than 3 months to have to switch to another brand again. Can anyone suggest a brand that's as good as Nutro and preferably one that's available at most pet stores would be great? I've seen Nutrience sold at a nearby pet store, any good? My dogs are on senior diet for small breed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, with thanks!

What part of Brisbane are you in and how far are you willing to travel? :thumbsup:

One of mine is on the SuperCoat Special Care Sensitive and the other two are on the unspellable one eukanuba.

We tried Royal Canin and one stopped eating it after a bag and a half.

They weren't thrilled about Nutro when we tried that.

Guess its a case of trying different ones until you find what works for your dogs.