Funny Stories About Trialling Or Training.

I was just thinking about all the funny (and not so funny(at the time)) stories that have happened while training my beagle, SADIE.Other triallers and dog lovers must have funny stories too, (or maybe you would just rather forget). I have to many to mention tonight, But i'll tell you mine if you tell me yours! :wink:

During a flyball trial at the Adelade show a few years ago, Sadie ran down, over the jumps, ran out the bunting, straight to where all our crates were set up, jumped on a chair where showbags were sitting, stuck her head in the Darell Lea 'PIG OUT' showbag and started to pig out. That was the end of flyball for that day! :cry:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew to Darwin with my last GSP Cadence to stay with my bestest friend and show and trial in in the Royal......I had to fly out of the showring and across to the obedience ring (they kept shifting me back till I was last in the class for my pattern).

We do the heeling ok, Cadence working wide but consistent as usual, pretty jolly good score...I'm starting to think at this stage that me might even get a place as well as a pass......sit stay...fine, down stay....Cadence was coping well with the noises, a night show (his first) and Aboriginal kids beating the heck out of each other with those squeaky blow up baseball bats.......not bad for a dog that loved squeakies in the showring!! ...and then, the GSD next to him rolled over to have a scratch...a really good scratch...literally on top of him...so Cadence stood up...froze, looked at me, looked at the GSD who was still scratching but was now lying where Cadence had been, and he put his head down and walked ever so slowly across the obedience ring towards me.......................................................and sat perfectly straight in front of the handler next to me..... :worship: and I couldn't do a thing...and he knew it.......

from that point on, he did it every single trial we entered........but we did get 3rd in the entire Obedience competition of the Darwin Royal that year (even if we didn't pass :worship: )

Another trial back in Melbourne, he was coming in on the recall when a magpie flew across the ring at eye level about 6" in front of his nose :D he took 2 steps sideways...thought about it....took 2 steps back and came in on the same line he had been travelling on and did a perfectly straight sit in front!!!!!! (what else do you expect a gundog to do????)...& didn't lose any points for the manoevre!

Never got a CD on him - he was far too clever for me :scold:

Edited by TangerineDream

..and then, the GSD next to him rolled over to have a scratch...a really good scratch...literally on top of him...so Cadence stood up...froze, looked at me, looked at the GSD who was still scratching but was now lying where Cadence had been, and he put his head down and walked ever so slowly across the obedience ring towards me.......................................................and sat perfectly straight in front of the handler next to me..... jawdrop.gif and I couldn't do a thing...and he knew it.......

:D

Last night in class as I left Molly for stays, 3 of the other dogs broke and bolted so she joined them, I didn't even realise for a sec as I was walking away from her

She then did big circles running around having a ball, visiting all the different classes, (including Cosmolo and her doggies in the agility ring) then when she was closer I called her and she came and did a perfect recall to me! Little bugger

Edited by shoemonster

Hmmm yes well Mr Bolter Eddie

The joys of training at a place where I have let the dogs free run too many times! :D

Ed was lovely last night, did some nice short recalls, though OH took him for a walk down the road when I was in class with Molly and a rabbit ran out in front of him, and he got scared and ran the opposite direction then hid behind OH! :worship:

I think Leo was pretty mean to me at the croydon trial :rofl:

"Next exercise is SFE.... are you ready?"

"yep"

Leave dog walk out and dog shakes - end of exercise :worship:

stoopid dog - he was sitting on such a good score.

"next exercise - recall.... are you ready?"

"yep"

Leave dog - walk out, about turn and wait..... call dog....

At which point dog stands up and gives you a blank look as if to say 'did you really call me?!"

I call a 2nd time (after instructed to) and he comes in perfect, does one of his best fronts and a lovely finish! :D :worship:

Had he done both of these exercises well (which he has never stuffed before... well SFE he has moved feet, but not this!), we would have passed with a score over 190 *sobs*

Does that count?

As for agility - I think it is a laugh on me more than the dog.

1st agility trial - I didn't run out far enough with him so he missed a jump - I took him back over to do it and he simply put his two front paws on it and purpousely PUSHED it off :shrug:!

We then continued in the course and he entered the weavers correctly but couldn't be stuffed finishing the rest *sigh* - he's done that a few times now so working on that :rofl:. he then got to the table and 'couldn't be bothered' jumping up on it :rofl:.....

Stupid handler then took him round the wrong 1/2 of the course :rofl:.....

That was amusing :scold:....luckily our 2nd trial went better :mad

The joys of training at a place where I have let the dogs free run too many times! :D

Ed was lovely last night, did some nice short recalls, though OH took him for a walk down the road when I was in class with Molly and a rabbit ran out in front of him, and he got scared and ran the opposite direction then hid behind OH! :worship:

I think it's cute he is a big scardy cat :worship:

My old dog Cindy in a retrieving trial.

12 dogs had been up to the pegs before her without any trouble.

The run was a double mark.

She got the first bird without a problem.

I asked her were the second bird was and she indicated she knew where it was.

I said fetch and she took of hard left and dove into the bush we passed on the way to the line.

Pulled a sausage out of the bush that someone had disgarded at lunchtime, she ate the sausage and then ran out and got the bird as if nothing had happened. :D

I think we got third in the end with the judge mentioning that we didn't get higher because our entry included a free lunch.

She was a black lab.

In another trial She had gone out of sight after a bird. After a couple of minutes scanning the area I saw her in the bushes looking at me for direction and I blew the whistle and gave her a right over.

She didn't move, I blew the whistle harder and gave her a bigger over. She didn't move.

After four of these I said to the judge I will pull her out as she wasn't listening. He said ok and told me my dog was now 200 yards away and still taking commands as I had been trying to handle a black tree stump. :worship:

He still laughs about it when we meet.

Country Joe.

country joe :worship:

I've got way way too many funny stories about being embarrassed in the ring by my 1st dog, I've posted most of them here before anyway so I wont bore you all again, but being humped in the out of sight stays, running into the next ring & stealing the Open dog's dumbell & running around through all the obedience rings jumping all the jumps are a couple that spring to mind :D .

... I had been trying to handle a black tree stump. :D

I wonder if I could substitute a tree stump for Ebony for the sit stay?

My embarrassment so far is limited to training, since I have not trialled yet, but each month, when the club is assessing us for promotion to the next class, Ebony seems to just "know" and acts like she has never even heard the commands I give her. Last night, for the recall are you ready? Yes. Remove your lead. And that was it - off she went at full speed back to the club house. She has never done that before :worship:

Maybe she just likes class 3.

Cheers,

DagBoy

Not really embarrasing or funny but me messing up.

This is how Todd does his sit and drop stays. Sparty photopraphed them so I could have lasting memories. :D She's so kind.

Heels beautifully paying me full attention.

forum1.jpg

forum2.jpg

Stand for exam and stand stay were perfect.

Sit and drop stays end like this.

forum4.jpg

Look mum I can sit/drop stay but I have to be really close to you.

forum5.jpg

forum6.jpg

oh no - poor you 2tollers :worship:

country Joe- what a laugh!!!!! :D!!

so let me ask you - have you trained any more tree stumps since then??

Clearly your labs aren't fed enough to go scouting around for sausages- definately not a normal trait :worship:

lol!! I was thinking of starting a topic like this, recently at training we had a mini agility comp and we were doing very well, we got to the table and jock did as he was told and sat there as I moved into position for the next obsticle and I gave him the command and he looked at me as if to say "don't be stupid mum you told be to stay on the table!" I spent easliy 30 sec trying to gte him to move!!!

Thanks guys for sharing your stories.

The joys of training at a place where I have let the dogs free run too many times! :rofl:

Ed was lovely last night, did some nice short recalls, though OH took him for a walk down the road when I was in class with Molly and a rabbit ran out in front of him, and he got scared and ran the opposite direction then hid behind OH! :rofl:

I know what you mean about familiar places. I never like taking Sadies lead off, but one training night we were doing stays and i was nearly at trialling level so i thought yeh, why not! BIG MISTAKE She got a sniff, ran for miles, me chasing her like a crazy woman she ran to the busiest street in Ballarat in peak hour traffic, wanted to show me that all my hard training hadn't gone to waste, she sat before checking both ways then when clear she crossed a four lane street. ( I stil have no idea how she managed that one safely, but i saw her do it. Then she ran into a cathlic school past the nuns houses ( by this stage i was so cross, tiptoeing past the houses hoping not to get caught. I finally caught her as she had ran down a little lane to the school kitchen. Tiptoeing back past the nuns house, and heeling all the way back to training. My instructor said she went over there to say her prayers! :rofl:

Never got better after i started trialling, in Stays at a Keilor trial she got a sniff took off up the hill, i ran after her (without a lead as i had been in the ring and the judge told me to go and as she moves a lot quicker than me i didn't want to lose her) 20 mins later I had Sadie by the coller as she is dragging me back down the hill while every one is watching. She is so NAUGHTY :laugh:

My first trialling dog was a bit of a hoot. I was about 12 when I started training him and he was a fairly stubborn dog. I probably started trialling with him at around 3 years old and somehow this dog knew that once he was off lead in a trial ring I really had no control over him... at training he was ok offlead but at a trial he was everywhere BUT the ring. I remember one particular trial where during off lead heel he wandered out of the ring, did a poo, came back to heel, stayed with me for a bit, wandered off again I think he did a pee too (yes I always toilet my dog before trialling, obviously not enough!!) and eventually came back to me.

Another incident was with the demo team from my club at the local show (country town). We were doing some agility demos and Buddy somehow decided that he no longer wanted to be there with me, so he took off... We were in the middle of the showring in front of the grandstands and he took off towards the gates. So heres this black dog racing across a large showring with someone running after him yelling 'Buddy!!' and the announcer person calling 'Buddy' over the loudspeakers too!!! The crowd was in stiches of course! He then repeated this exercise at the next country show a week or so later... he was a bit famous for a while with new people to the club asking about the black dog that runs away at shows!!! ;)

best ive see was a lab at kcc on the back ground doing ud was sent out for the box and he just kept going until we heard a splash and the ducks taking off

i have a few ive mentioned before the best being in the down on signal exercise my gsp decided to try out the new trick i was teach her and covered her eyes so then she couldnt see the signal to sit

sent my dog out for the retrieve and in a ring further down someone threw a new shiney yellow dumbell so my dog went and got it and his and bougt them back in a cross in his mouth i have a pic somehwre

and drop on recall i said drop he dropped rolled over got up and kept coming .

just remebered a good gaility on my first dog loved to tie himself up in th chute f the tunnel if it wasnt bolted tight he would dive in and somehow throw himself into the canvas so the drum moved enough to twist the chute up we'd be trying to untangle him while he was trying to tangle himself more

another of his things was to run up the aframe and drop on the top of it perfectly balanced and not come down