Best Breeds For Obedience Training, Agility And Dogs Sports

I dont lurk in here much as i am mainly in the breeders and show section!

I have tried agility with the Whippets before, they enjoy it and physically - they are suited to it, but they get bored quick for some reason and lack concentration and are quite stubborn. :rofl: Thats hounds for you! :thumbsup: Well mine do anyway!

I would like to get into dog sports at some stage and was wondering what breeds of dogs people think are particularly suited to this type of activity. Those that have the drive, enthusiasm, intelligence and willingness to please.

I realise that ANY breed can do sports, but im curious to know which ones really enoy it and are best suited to it? Particularly obedience and agility.

My guess is Border Collies are one breed ....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess any of the working breeds like herders or some of the gundogs can be a good place to start.

I think for most dogs though if you get the training right you will have a dog who really enjoys it and can excel at it. My beagle is obviously not a "typical" obedience breed but she loves to train and really enjoys it. She has the drive there it's just a matter of harnessing it in the right way.

I would look at what breeds suit you and your lifestyle, and narrow it down from there.

Edited by huski

Breeds I have seen that have very successful

Are

Border Collies

Aussie Shepherds

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Kelpies.

Standard Poodles and Mini's

Quite a few gundog breeds as well

Oh and Lewis :thumbsup:

If I was getting a dog with dog sports in mind it would be a toss up between three;

Border Collie, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and a Poodle.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

The most obvious answer is Border Collie :thumbsup:

But other breeds that are routinely successful are:

Kelpies

Koolies

Belgian Shepherds

German Shepherds (Obedience mostly)

Australian Shepherds

Golden Retrievers (obedience mostly)

German Shorthaired Pointers

Vizslas

If you like little guys

Papillons

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

Cocker Spaniels

Mini Poodles

Mini Schnauzers

There's an Agility Champion Tenterfield :rofl:

Yes the obvious breeds are BC ad Kelpie. Surprising that there aren't more Belgians around really.

I'd agree with Huski, first consideration should be if you can live with the breed and if they suit your lifestyle.

Personally I'm not sure I could meet all the needs of some of the common breeds for dog sports. :thumbsup:

I have the exact same problem

I would like to do more in agility and obedience but as a leaner my whippets are a little on the thick side sometimes

Also would LOVE to have a dog that i could take to the beach and throw a ball - i went today and threw the ball the whippets would run round where the ball landed then back to me without looking at it. BAH

They did enjoy the water though it was very warm, but Bella only goes in up to her belly and that is with 12 mths of practice

I am thinking of a Viszla - but am nervous cause I know they can be high energy

My partner wants a border collie but I don't think our lifestyle suits - I am a doctor and he is almost an fulltime ambo

We love our 2 whippies but ...... i don't know, just suppose I am left wanting.......

Neats - any particular reason why your partner wants/is attracted to the idea of a Border Collie. Border Collies can be very adaptable and like all breeds you still get a mixed bag of temperaments - both high energy and low energy couch potatoes. I know plenty of people who have full time lives and families and own Border Collies - they aren't mutually exclusive.

coolies are really adaptable to their owners lifestyles

and my understanding is do well in obedience training, agility and dog sports

they just want to please their owner. i have never owned a more loyal obedient dog than my Flash. There just isn't anywhere to take him for any training though where i live :)

Also Jack Russell Terriers, Shetland Sheepdogs, German Shepherd Dogs (or did someone already mention these?)

I've always wondered about other collie breeds other than the border collies (e.g. beardies, OES, Polish Lowland Sheepdogs etc.) - does anyone know how they like dog sports? I reckon they might love it. But I have no evidence either way...

Kelpies work really, really well. You don't see lots of them in the ring, but when you do they are often very impressive. I'd rank them higher than BCs even.

Not that I'm trying to start a riot :)

I grew up with a BC - Ella aka Whoopie she is 8 this year - with heart failure adn going deaf. She charmed him while we were home at christmas time.

I love the dogs and aim to get one, just worried I won't do the dog justice and be a good enough owner for the dog.

Whoopie is certainly an awesome dog - despite her terrible heart and given 1 year at 4 she has defied all odds and still goes hunting (we live on large acreage) and takes down wallaby.

When we had chooks she used to have standoffs with them beak to nose over the rotting animal and the flies - gross but funny. She would spend some of her day rounding them up and then jumping in the middle of them to scatter them so she could round them up again.

Her other prowess is that she could tell the difference b/w chook and the native hen in Tassie - loved the native hens for a good hunt.

I would like to wait a little until I finish these exams and we get a bigger place for a BC

Edited by Neats

I'd be considering a Puli. :thanks: I just like those cords flying when they jump. :)

I think maybe temperament is more important. My little Vallhund, Erik, throws himself into everything he does and is troublingly intelligent. I'm planning to get him into agility because he's so easy to focus and so easy to train and so easy to do just about anything with because he's small and athletic and has plenty of get-up-and-go. But my mum has a Vallhund who is the complete opposite. Lazy as sin. :o

Thanks for the replies! :)

I wouldnt go with a BC or Poodle because i dont want a coated breed or breed with coat maintainance! However i LOVE some of the BCs in the ring and they are so impressive in dog sports.

I would looooove a red cloud Kelpie, i have always loved the Kelpie, maybe i could show and do dog sports with a new Kelpie baby!! Ive tried doing both with the Whippies without success (success in the ring but nowhere else!).

i went today and threw the ball the whippets would run round where the ball landed then back to me without looking at it. BAH

Yes Neats, my guys are just so damn lazy and wont even retrieve a ball .. yet they will quite happily chase and hunt down my cat :o

We live on 5 acres so maybe a Kelpie is my next breed choice!! :thanks:

red cloud Kelpie

Woops :) Just looked up the standard, its red and tan, not Red Cloud apparently!! :thanks:

No you do have both

Red or Red cloud is solid red, then you get red and tan or brown and tan.

They also can come in Black and tan, black,Blue, Blue and tan, fawn or maybe a cream sort of colour.

Generally in the show ring you see mainly Black and Red. Not many of the Bi-colours in show lines mainly in the working lines.

I also really like Kelpies but am not into the the build of the bench Kelpie these days so would have a working line Kelpie. - yes I know others will disagree!

I love Kelpies too. Allergic to dog hair so I can never get one, but can only admire them from afar. But I love that 'fawning kelpie' thing where they wiggle and suck up to you. Very endearing.

Close friend of mine has them. The builds in this breed vary enormously, as do the temperaments. She has working kelpies and they are lovely and I agree nicer builds than the bench kelpies. Also great brains. Very active as puppies but you have whippets so that is nothing new

Keep it busy, don't let it get fat, give it lots of work to do, and enjoy the ride. Remember - very smart dogs can learn to train YOU, so be on the watch for the dog trying to take over. Of course I'm not always good at this myself: I've let my poodle x take over the reins from time to time without realising it - then have to wrestle the alpha status back to reestablish order in the home. So I've learned this one the hard way - several times

Edited by Zug Zug

The Lagotto is relatively new to dog sports but seems to be doing remarkably well. Kiss has placed in Agility and/or Jumping at the Sydney Royal the last two years and placed at the State Obedience Titles last year. She also has her FMX (flyball master excellent).

There are more Lagotti competing now that the breed has been in Australia just over ten years. They seem to be quick learners and willing to take on whatever you want them to. They love to swim and are ball mad.

Jolie is now old enough to compete so it will be interesting to see how she goes this year. More drive than Kiss so more of a challenge initially but lots of potential. Guess I will have to get my act together!!

Noels

Also Jack Russell Terriers, Shetland Sheepdogs, German Shepherd Dogs (or did someone already mention these?)

I've always wondered about other collie breeds other than the border collies (e.g. beardies, OES, Polish Lowland Sheepdogs etc.) - does anyone know how they like dog sports? I reckon they might love it. But I have no evidence either way...

Kelpies work really, really well. You don't see lots of them in the ring, but when you do they are often very impressive. I'd rank them higher than BCs even.

Not that I'm trying to start a riot :laugh:

I know of a beardie down here who LOVES aglity; she used to do obedience a lot more too, but the dog just loves to jump and finds obedience boring! lol. I only have a pic of her jumping in the rally class the other week rather than in agility, but it's still a happy beardie jumping!

IMG_4322.jpg

she has another beardie who is coming over from Oz soon too. :rofl:

OES seem a bit heavy in the body to be much good at jumping, but I do know of a couple of rough collies who do agility too, and of course other generic 'working dogs' and huntaways too.