Is An American Staffordshire Terrier A Pitbull?

jackie_a1

Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murky area.

I KNOW of people who have APBT which were imported from the USA and are dual-registered as AST with the AKC and whichever "organisation" it is that registers APBT.

Murky area.

I KNOW of people who have APBT which were imported from the USA and are dual-registered as AST with the AKC and whichever "organisation" it is that registers APBT.

If it's AKC registered it an AST, but you can then register the AST with some of those dodgy registries as an APBT.

You can't take you ADBA , GDBA or any of the other shoddy registry Pit Bulls and register those with the AKC

Edited by SBT123

I voted yes, I believe it was proven that they come form the same lines way back when. The difference is that APBT was bred to fight by some unsavioury people and a "better" temprement was bred into the AMstaffy...

Either way I dont think that it should matter. As long as the dog has a good temprement, and is healthy then who cares what it is called.. My folks have a amstaffy and he is a beautiful dog.

Just my opinion thou

Gily

No.

The Amstaff & SBT have been registered breeds for the same length of time - since 1935/6

(more abbreviations for jackie a1 :().

Some (a lot?) of the early SBT registrations were from people who also bred Bull Terriers and interbred the two varieties to get coloured BT's - do we have to say that the BT & SBT are the same breed because they come from a similar gene pool 75 years ago?

75 years is a LONG time in the dog world, more generations than most royal families can trace their ancestry.

ETA: not saying royal families are a separate breed :rofl:

Edited by Sandra777

Chose No

even though I think I read somewhere that the original stock for breeding the amstaff was the same as the pitbull. I don't believe they are the same dog anymore might be the same type of dog like bull breeds and whatnot but that is because they come from the pit background many many years ago.

--Lhok