Alternative To A Labra- Whatsit

Nik

Steve

You cant determine whether someone is keeping their dogs in poor condition or mass producing them based on where they live - the most well known high volume first cross oodle breeder is in NSW and most of the bigger names which own up to a thousand dogs are in other areas and some of the best registered breeders in the country live in Gippsland. Not all ooodle breeders mass produce them either but regardless of who breeds them or how they are kept a mongrel is a mongrel - why bother looking for a breeder in the first place if that's what you decide you want and can live with there are heaps of mongrels waiting for new homes in pounds.

Fact is, these oodle breeders are NOT registered breeders. So what if there are lots of registered breeders in Gippsland?

Fact is, anyone doing this cross is, in my eyes, a grub or an extremely unaware, uninformed person who the public should not be buying dogs from. This is a a very unsuitable cross from a heap of points of view.

It doesn't matter what's going on in NSW and whether there are bigger ooodley producers there or not, it was Gippsland which was mentioned.

Even Rob Waterhouse wouldn't give any money on the producer of these labradoodles in Gippsland not being a puppy farm.

And maybe it isn't a puppy farm, but as you say, you would have to go to there to know for sure. Why bother?

And Steve is right - there are heaps of labrador/poodle crosses, or suspected crosses in pounds, give one of them a home.

Edited by Jed

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry to hijack......

I also have a workmate who is looking for an "oodle" for their family....

Am trying to convince them otherwise.

Anyone have an alternative to a shetland sheepdog? In terms of character, size, temperament etc - it fits them absolutely perfectly. They don't like the coat though - they think it is too much work and would be an issue with child in the family with allergies. I personally think a sheltie coat isn't hard to manage at all and doesn't take that much work. It seems to repel dirt and water and my girl only sheds after her season. So - a shetland sheepdog with a non-shedding, shorter coat.

Any suggestions...

sorry to hijack emgem.... hope you don't mind.

Each breed is individual and nothing is quite the same. But maybe you could suggest a Min Pin or a Schipperke? I can't think of anything else much.

sorry to hijack......

Anyone have an alternative to a shetland sheepdog? In terms of character, size, temperament etc - it fits them absolutely perfectly. They don't like the coat though - they think it is too much work and would be an issue with child in the family with allergies. I personally think a sheltie coat isn't hard to manage at all and doesn't take that much work. It seems to repel dirt and water and my girl only sheds after her season. So - a shetland sheepdog with a non-shedding, shorter coat.

Any suggestions...

With allergies in the family ; a Bichon Frise.

Google- compare canines ;This is a site that helps you compare different breeds.

People who have allergies to dogs still have allergies to non shedding dogs - in fact some actually suffer more.

That's because allergies to dogs isn't anything to do with their coat. The fur is too long to be inhaled. Allergies to dogs are about the saliva which dries and can be in the air and especially the dander which is the skin flakes all dogs regardless of breed shed. Dogs which have to be groomed more often because they have to be brushed due to a non shedding coat actually have a risk more dander floating around the house as the brushing and grooming stirs it up and makes it mobile rather than staying on the dog which can easily be inhaled.

By the way many of these breeders are registered with AAPDB and registered with council as a domestic animal breeding facility - they are not supposed to be members of and registered with the ANKC - Vic dogs - but some are. Best to avoid anyone breeding first cross anything to be sure.

sorry to hijack......

Any suggestions...

If they're a little flexible on size, a Collie Smooth? Or otherwise, bigger but not taller - a Cardigan Corgi?

efs

Edited by Alyosha

People who have allergies to dogs still have allergies to non shedding dogs - in fact some actually suffer more.

That's because allergies to dogs isn't anything to do with their coat. The fur is too long to be inhaled. Allergies to dogs are about the saliva which dries and can be in the air and especially the dander which is the skin flakes all dogs regardless of breed shed. Dogs which have to be groomed more often because they have to be brushed due to a non shedding coat actually have a risk more dander floating around the house as the brushing and grooming stirs it up and makes it mobile rather than staying on the dog which can easily be inhaled.

By the way many of these breeders are registered with AAPDB and registered with council as a domestic animal breeding facility - they are not supposed to be members of and registered with the ANKC - Vic dogs - but some are. Best to avoid anyone breeding first cross anything to be sure.

Yes Steve;Thats why i'm still looking for a dog that i am not allergic to.Bichon Frise are one breed considered more suited to some people with allergies.

With my allergies i can better tolerate smooth coated breeds with low doggy odour.

Yes Steve;Thats why i'm still looking for a dog that i am not allergic to.Bichon Frise are one breed considered more suited to some people with allergies.

With my allergies i can better tolerate smooth coated breeds with low doggy odour.

Whippet :cool:

You cant determine whether someone is keeping their dogs in poor condition or mass producing them based on where they live - the most well known high volume first cross oodle breeder is in NSW and most of the bigger names which own up to a thousand dogs are in other areas and some of the best registered breeders in the country live in Gippsland. Not all ooodle breeders mass produce them either but regardless of who breeds them or how they are kept a mongrel is a mongrel - why bother looking for a breeder in the first place if that's what you decide you want and can live with there are heaps of mongrels waiting for new homes in pounds.

My thought exactly :thumbsup: Everyone has given fantastic advice here :thumbsup:

Jed, schips shed quite a lot, so I'm not too sure they would be suitable. I thought maybe whippet?

Standard poodles recieve such a bad rap, they are beautiful dogs, and I love the unclipped look :love:

My thought exactly :thumbsup: Everyone has given fantastic advice here :thumbsup:

Jed, schips shed quite a lot, so I'm not too sure they would be suitable. I thought maybe whippet?

Standard poodles recieve such a bad rap, they are beautiful dogs, and I love the unclipped look :love:

The person didn't want the grooming she perceived a Shetland Sheepdog would need. Schips don't need all that much grooming. She didn't ask about shedding!! I reckon Schips are very wash and wear dogs, but not for everyone.

And yes, whippets are low grooming too - of course

sorry to hijack......

Any suggestions...

Hey jr_inoz - just thought I'd stick my head in here and suggest that they do some investigating around what exactly causes the allergies for their child. As other posters have mentioned, it's different for everyone. I've been allergic to everything except poodles since .. forever; was hospitalised with asthma for the first time at 18 months old, and have been unable to tolerate any animals since then. Hence having had poodles my whole life.

I've had SO many people tell me that I'd be fine with Bichon Frises, Wheatens, Japanese Spitz, Greyhounds.. you name it. Anything that someone has heard is low shedding or hypo-allergenic, has been suggested to me. I just want to stress that it's a completely individual thing; if I or my family had trusted peoples' advice and suggestions we would've been in a horrible situation of re-homing or something. We thought that poodle crosses would be ok too, and some are (eg my poodle x Mimi) but some aren't (eg mum's poodle x maltese) - I know I'm preaching to the choir here about the risks of oodles and coat type. But just make sure that these people get their kid to spend some time with various breeds to work out whether they'll really be ok with the breeds they're considering :)

There were 2 standard poodles at our dog park tonight and they are FAR from being a prissy breed. They canter with such an air of elegance and hold themselves as if they're saying "we're too good for this place". I love how proud they look when running around and they are such big, sweet buffoons!!

As for oodles, there's a few at the dog park too -- one was born with only one kidney and the other has horrible skin problems. And personally I don't think they're all that great to look at.

I've met one lagotto R down at our park - and it was fine with all the other dogs. And several more at our crazy pet expo - and they were fine too.

I've met quite a few grumpy dogs - but it doesn't seem to be very breed specific, though some breeds /dogs have much longer memories than others and seem to hold a grudge (I'll get you before you get me) based on bad experiences much longer. And some dogs just completely fail to learn that the dog over there pretending to be friendly and pretending to want to play - hurts the other dog every time.

I've got no idea what breed would meet the "smooth coat/non shedding sheltie" criteria. Maybe a mutant (very small short coat) Border Collie?

Guest Arcane

smooth coat Sheltie alternative = Italian Greyhound.

Or possibly Chinese Crested Hairless, although they need a surprising amount of grooming, more along the lines of skin care.

Just swayed a school mother of my sons friend off the labrawhatsit breed, I told her I'd do her up an I for sheet about suitable dogs for her and a questainair to fill out to help match her with one :). Again they were after a hypoallergenic breed....could have been in for a rude shock..

Why do People feel the need to denigrate other dogs to promote purebreds? Why are people suggesting a breed based on looks alone?

Au contraire, people are suggesting people with allergies should find out what they're allergic to.

Second most smartest breed too...

I believe it's the smartest breed followed by the Border Collie and then the GSD. :)

It doesn't have to be kept in a frou frou clip either.

Is it? I thought Borders were! Well there ya go :)

Yep....I think you will find the BC's come first followed by the poodle :)