Brisbane Winter Nights

Hello ...... just after a few extra opinions here

We have a 1.5 year old ridgeback x kelpie, 40kgs with a short ridgeback coat

He was a rescue dog so we have only had him for 6 months. He has been sleeping outside at night time since we got him, and seems happy enough with that, but now that it is winter I am not sure if I need to bring him in?

If I do it will only be for the winter months, then he will be out to sleep again.

He has a large deck only open on one side, and a huge hammock bed with lots of blankets, and a weatherbeeta quilted coat, so that is about all I can do for him when he is outside.

When I get up in the morning, his body feels warm but his head and feet are cold. He doesn't whine or complain when I put him out to bed, but I hate to think of him laying out there freezing at night.

If I do bring him in to sleep for a treat, he seems restless during the night, and wakes up a lot earlier than if he is out.

Do you think Brisbane winters are too cold for him to be out at night? Or am I just being a sook :(

p.s he gets plenty of time inside with us, whenever we are home and awake he is by my side, so he is not a live outside dog.

Thank you for your advice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brisbane is freezing at night at the moment. The difficulty is bringing him in at night now and then putting him outside again when it warms up - too confusing for him.

If you really will not have him inside permanently then I would set up a proper enclosed kennel for him that is set off the ground a little and continue with the warm coat and blankets.

If he seems happy out there, than being inside, then I'm sure he will be fine over winter. My dogs are outside during the day, and now come in at night recently because it has been quite wet this winter in Perth. I have no doubt I have broken the dogs and they are going to want to be in every night now!

Plus we have a 14 year old Lab, so he needs extra warmth over winter. We can't let Zeke and Ivy in, then leave the two youngest outside.

If he's used to being outside then he will be fine - but please, not in a hammock bed! His body heat can't warm up the whole atmosphere. Get him a proper kennel or just rig up roof & sides in some way - don't need to be weather proof as he's under the porch roof, but definitely draft proof.

Thank you for your advice. We have tried 3 different doghouses for him, all plenty big enough and made of different materials, and he wouldn't step one foot in them .... even for a treat! I tried to convince him for a good couple of months and he was still mortified at the sight of them ..... perhaps something from before we rescued him?

We got him a hammock bed as I was told that it is better for their bones if their body is off the ground?? He does also have a large cushion bed as well, but he chooses the hammock bed over this one most of the time so that is where I have put the majority of his blankets and pillows.

The "table cave" is a great idea, but unfortunately our outdoor table has a support/footrest beam underneath so he would only have a half table cave which I don't think would be big enough for him.He is tucked in the back corner of the deck, so is pretty sheltered from the wind there as there is a bit of furniture and covered BBQ between him and the only open space.

My husband thinks he is perfectly fine out there otherwise he wouldn't be happy to go to bed at night, but I figure that if I am still cold all rugged up in clothes or in my bed right now then surely he must be too ..... not the best logic I know, considering we're different species, but he's still my baby :)

I am thinking maybe I can do a compromise, and let him in on freezing nights like we are having now, but have his bed in the rumpus room, right by the glass doors on to the deck, then he is still close to his normal outside spot, and not in the bedroom with us, so perhaps that will make it easier to put him out again when it warms up.

When we lived on the Northern Tablelands we had seriously cold winters (minus ten and eleven) and our blue cattle dogs all slept outside in kennels filled with hay. If I gave them blankets they dragged them out and slept on the open ground :) Our Labrador used to come inside at night and when we let her out she'd go and roll in the frost! :rofl: Every winter I used to get her a large cardboard box and fill it with blankets on the verandah. She'd snore her way through the night very happily :)

Most of our dogs are outside ... they most often do not use kennels, but dig a lovely bed in the sand ...

I think if you can put a tarp or piece of carpet UNDER to stop the air flow thru hammock, and then use a couple of polar fleece - or WOOL blankets (check opshop) ... Dogs are MUCH more comfortable in a hollow space , rather than a flat , human like mattress - as in a hollow , any cold breeze goes over them ., the sides/base stay warm from their body .and when they curl up , most of their back is cuddled by the sides of the hollow :) That's why dogs/bears etc have dens ... to conserve body heat .

Most of our dogs are outside ... they most often do not use kennels, but dig a lovely bed in the sand ...

I think if you can put a tarp or piece of carpet UNDER to stop the air flow thru hammock, and then use a couple of polar fleece - or WOOL blankets (check opshop) ... Dogs are MUCH more comfortable in a hollow space , rather than a flat , human like mattress - as in a hollow , any cold breeze goes over them ., the sides/base stay warm from their body .and when they curl up , most of their back is cuddled by the sides of the hollow :) That's why dogs/bears etc have dens ... to conserve body heat .

Off topic a little but my English Pointer is a big boy and he curls up in to a tight ball when sleeping outside on his doggy bed. I'm always amazed at now small and tight he can curl up.

Off topic a little but my English Pointer is a big boy and he curls up in to a tight ball when sleeping outside on his doggy bed. I'm always amazed at now small and tight he can curl up.

They do , don't they ? keeping that hairless belly from losing too much warmth .... instinctively .

Have you tried the kennels with the removable lid? you could take the lid off and see if he goes in, then perhaps put it back on when he is used to it?

I have mine up on pallets with doona's inside, and they also have the heatable discs you put in the microwave, they are still warm in the mornings.

If the kennel is a no go, what about a crate outside, you could put his bed inside, then if he takes to it start to gradually put a cover over it.

I had a RR x who wouldn't stay inside to sleep either, just got restless and kept asking to go back outside.

Thanks all for the advice. I am hesitant to try any more dog houses after spending a fortune on the last couple which he wouldn’t go near and I had to sell again for half the price!

I have always been against electric blankets/pads for both humans and animals (ocd fear of electrical fires) but I had never heard of the microwavable pads …. I just looked them up and they look great, I am going to buy one or two of them this weekend for sure!

So along with that I think I will just try bringing him inside on super freezing nights (like under 5 degrees or stormy), put his bed in rumpus room so he can see outside and still sleep on his own, and see how that goes.

I’m hoping if I alternate between in and out he won’t get too used to one, but hopefully it doesn’t confuse him too much either.

I will give it a go for a while and if he seems unhappy inside then I will rearrange the deck furniture or try and DIY a bed surround of sorts so he is as sheltered as possible, and figure he would rather be out there.

At least then I won’t feel guilty every night when I am toasty warm in bed anymore!

At least then I won’t feel guilty every night when I am toasty warm in bed anymore!

Thing is you are trying to accomdate your boy with the weather changes.

That's far better than just ignoring the fact he might be cold.....

We spent a couple of years in the Mid-West of the USA. Winter was snow. We had one Vizsla which liked a bed of straw at nights. He had been born in Hungry during winter & that was what he was used to having.

Good Luck with your efforts.

:D :D