Seriously?

Stressmagnet

No offense intended, I have subtlety issues! In no way do I think you should re-home this dog, but you need to be realistic in regards to how perfect a dog owner you are.

If no offense was intended, why did you not bother to read correctly instead of showing yourself up to be dick head?

:o:bottom:

The trainer is an idiot.

I agree with the others, this trainer is living in la-la-land. You are doing a great job, find another trainer and save yourself the stress.

More than this. The trainer is a danger. :mad:

Fortunately, StressMagnet came onto to DOL and was able to hear from dog owners who live in the real world. Think of the damage that so-called trainer is doing to other people and their dogs.

I totally disagree with most of this. I think StressMagnet is giving her dog a truly wonderful life, even more so given the pressures in her life. You rock, SM! Huge hugs to you and Ernie.

Your timeline is probably a best case scenario, people cannot help but to exaggerate in their favour. In no way do I think you area bad dog owner but I dont think you are as great as you are trying to put across.

"This dog has really stolen my heart" - If this was me I would have the dog inside all of the time.

"On the weekends - an hour walk with me on the Saturday, then the girls hang with him on and off sporadically till dinner time but he still comes inside for my chemo nap." - So he is alone outside most of the day until the girls get off their iPhones.

"Sunday's - we take him to the beach for a couple of hours or to a labrador meet and greet. He's outside again until dinner." - So this and the above, he is outside by himself most of the weekend. Sure there is some quality time, but again, we are probably getting best case scenario with weekend time being prime time for an outside dog.

I am someone who believes that all dogs should be inside with their pack, which may not be the common belief in this forum. Just don't kid yourself that you are the perfect dog owner when you are not, your dog is often outside or inside in a crate. You are a hell of a lot better than a lot of dog owners out there, but you are seeking justification in a forum for agreement that your trainer is wrong and you are a great owner, which is not the case.

I don't know the Lab breed, I would not want you to own a Stafford though, having any Stafford as an outside dog is about as cruel as it gets.

No offense intended, I have subtlety issues! In no way do I think you should re-home this dog, but you need to be realistic in regards to how perfect a dog owner you are.

I came looking for this because of StressMagnet's post in the Dear .... thread.

BigDaz needs a name change to BigSilly :laugh:

Love your work, HazyWal :thumbsup:

Me too :o

Stressmagnet, you spend far more time with your dog than I do with my lot. I am away from my house for work from Friday evening til Monday morning, when I get home I check all the other critters quickly while they settle themselves down (pack mentality means that they sometimes have a competition to see who can get the most excited, but they do learn quickly, it takes them less than 5 minutes to calm down these days), then give them a quick pat while I have a smoke, then off to bed to sleep off the weekend night shifts I've just worked. When I wake up in the afternoon, I'm all theirs.

Most Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, my OH works from 5.30am til about 11.30am, home for lunch, then 2pm til about 7pm. During this entire time the dogs are outside, with little to no interaction, and a fair chance that OH will fall asleep on the couch when he does get home because he's so exhausted, which means that they won't get to come in until he wakes up and drags his butt to bed, which has been known to be well after midnight.

They also do not get walked or a run in the paddocks all weekend, because I can't expect that OH will be up for taking 5 dogs on at least 3 walks (1 is 40+kg and FA, and tbh my OH is not that confident handling him on his own, whereas I can read him like a picture book).

My dogs are all happy, well-adjusted (except for the FA one, but that's a result of poor breeding, he's been that way since he was a pup), have excellent "off" switches etc. They are for the most part well behaved, generally the issues that arise are as a result of a pack of dogs with "ringleader" who is a 2yo crazily confident bitch. She is usually at the start (and end) of any trouble. Nothing they do however strikes me as being caused by excessive levels of loneliness or boredom. I often get comments from visitors about how well-behaved my dogs are, even though every single one of them is pushing the boundaries because they know that visitors don't know the house rules.

I am usually home from Monday til I leave again on Friday, with maybe a couple of hours doing grocery shopping. During this time, some or all of the dogs are sometimes inside with me, or outside on the decking/sun room area, or out in the yard. I am not glued to them, nor are they glued to me. To be honest, I believe that teaching a dog to exist on its own calmly is an important and healthy thing, otherwise you may end up with a dog that develops an obsession with being with you at every possible minute. This is not healthy for you or the dog.

I've been very grateful on several occasions that I went to the effort of teaching my dogs not to rely on routine, and to be independent of us. I live about 2 hours away from the rest of my family, and sometimes things happen that mean that they may be left completely alone for extended periods. The best example I can think of happened about a year or so ago when my grandpa passed away. We had only just moved in to our current home, so didn't know any of the neighbours (more importantly, the dogs didn't know any of them, so possibly wouldn't have let them in anyway), when we got the call that my Grandpa was not far off and could we come straight away. We had no choice but to leave the dogs at home outside and rush to Melbourne. We left on a Tuesday, and did not get home til late afternoon Thursday, which was the earliest we could reasonably leave. The dogs, despite having been left unattended and unfed for the better part of two days, were absolutely fine when we got home, and the neighbours all said they hadn't heard a peep the entire time. Now obviously this is not a recurring or ideal situation, but should something like that happen again, I feel much more comfortable in the knowledge that my dogs are capable of handling it with aplomb, so I don’t need to spend every second that I’m away from home stressing out that my dogs are distressed, or injuring themselves, or being destructive.

Perhaps some people are different, but personally, one of the things that I need from a pet dog is that it has the mental capacity to deal with any circumstance that may happen with as minimal negative impact as possible. This is because life happens, and I can't guarantee that I will be there every second of every day for the rest of their lives to ensure that they are not being negatively impacted by their current situation. I don't believe that when you get a dog you should go overboard and alter your entire lifestyle to cater to its every whim, which is what I'm getting from BigTroll's post. As far as I'm aware, doing that will only set both you and the dog up for disappointment, and will make those times when you are unable to provide that companionship distressing and stressful for the dog. To be honest, I feel that BigDaz's advice should be reflected back on to him:

Just don't kid yourself that you are the perfect dog owner when you are not...

...you need to be realistic in regards to how perfect a dog owner you are.

In my opinion, he is teaching his dog/s to be weak, needy and overly dependent on him for stimulation, paving the way for serious separation anxiety issues. Conversely Stressmagnet, I believe that by teaching your dog how to be alone happily, or even just that it does not need to be involved in every minute aspect of your life, you are giving your dog the confidence that will enable it to handle most situations well.

I’m sorry about the long and ranty essay, extremists annoy me.

TL; DR: BigDaz, you’re wrong, a well-adjusted dog doesn’t need its owners constant presence. StressMagnet, keep doing what you’re doing, and don’t take any advice from this “trainer” who fed you that drivel.

Wow, Big daz has a different opinion and beliefs and for that gets called a troll and bigsilly and thoroughly jumped on! I can see nothing nasty in their post, just a very different opinion to everyone else. Why can we not just say thanks for your opinion, but I don't share it?

Wow, Big daz has a different opinion and beliefs and for that gets called a troll and bigsilly and thoroughly jumped on! I can see nothing nasty in their post, just a very different opinion to everyone else. Why can we not just say thanks for your opinion, but I don't share it?

Because the opinion didn’t add anything to the discussion, it was an old thread, the poster said they didn’t know anything about the breed and shared experience RE his chosen breed and the post was inflammatory and unnecessary.

It didn’t contribute anything but a lot of assumptions IMO. Only someone intent on stirring would bump up an inactive thread with such junk.

Because the opinion didnt add anything to the discussion, it was an old thread, the poster said they didnt know anything about the breed and shared experience RE his chosen breed and the post was inflammatory and unnecessary.

It didnt contribute anything but a lot of assumptions IMO. Only someone intent on stirring would bump up an inactive thread with such junk.

The opinion added somebody else's views to the discussion. Because they differ to the majority, how does that equate to stirring?. Everybody is entititled to have their opinions respected, no matter whether people agree with them or not. Many older threads are bumped on this forum, two weeks is hardly old. Not everyone lives on this forum constantly.

Nobody deserves to be berated, ganged up on, and abused, merely for offering a different view. Now I guess it is my turn to be abused as I have not gone along with the majority and belted Bigdaz around the ears.

EFS.

Edited by Florise

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Because it was a load of self serving, judgemental codswallop.

Because the opinion didn’t add anything to the discussion, it was an old thread, the poster said they didn’t know anything about the breed and shared experience RE his chosen breed and the post was inflammatory and unnecessary.

It didn’t contribute anything but a lot of assumptions IMO. Only someone intent on stirring would bump up an inactive thread with such junk.

The opinion added somebody else's views to the discussion. Because they differ to the majority, how does that equate to stirring?. Everybody is entititled to have their opinions respected, no matter whether people agree with them or not. Many older threads are bumped on this forum, two weeks is hardly old. Not everyone lives on this forum constantly.

Nobody deserves to be berated, ganged up on, and abused, merely for offering a different view. Now I guess it is my turn to be abused as I have not gone along with the majority and belted Bigdaz around the ears.

EFS.

Not going to berate you or beat you up because the way you are presenting your argument and disagreement is respectful and well reasoned, I can't imagine any other reason than stirring the pot to be honest. There was no reason to imply the OP is a poor dog owner because he did things differently to her, that's what bugged me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Because it was a load of self serving, judgemental codswallop.

Agree.

Quote: you are seeking justification in a forum for agreement that your trainer is wrong and you are a great owner, which is not the case.

From where I sit that's a tad rude and how does BD know that? Bringing Staffords into it and how they should live has nothing to do with anything, it'd be like me saying "I'm glad you don't own a greyhound". What's that got to do with the price of eggs?

From where I sit that's a tad rude and how does BD know that? Bringing Staffords into it and how they should live has nothing to do with anything, it'd be like me saying "I'm glad you don't own a greyhound". What's that got to do with the price of eggs?

You think that Bigdaz made a comment that was a "tad rude"???! Well then by all means being a "tad rude" is justification for bringing all your freinds along to beat the crap out of poor Big daz. Go ahead then, dont let me stop you.. damn it Troy, please bring back the eye rolling man!

If no offense was intended, why did you not bother to read correctly instead of showing yourself up to be dick head?

:o:bottom:

:rofl::thumbsup: