Please Lock (Leaving Dog Alone For 9 Hours 4 Days A Week)

I'd not jump straight to two dogs. Raising two dogs together is no easy feat and a lot harder than raising one alone.

Working full time does not mean a lonely dog. Alone and busy, contented and stimulated isn't lonely.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always worked full-time and with my volunteer work, the third week every month is s nightmare - 12 - 15 hour days. So I try and have my Mum drop in for a couple of hours late afternoon when I know I'm going to be very late to feed them and stay with them for a while and then leave them inside until I get home. I also use a brilliant doggy day care which helps break their week up. I then take them everywhere I can over the weekends. Eg yesterday they went with me to watch the footy at a friends place - took their rugs and they were happy as larry and away from home for about 6 hours.

I also make sure I have adult dogs, often rescues and that they have company. So its always at least a two dog household here.

Yep I've gotten all my dogs when working full time. No issues at all. :)

Same here. I think if you choose the breed wisely, get up early and exercise the dog before leaving for the day and ensure it has things to do whilst home alone, it can be successful.

I do agree about thinking hard on it. My life has been restricted in a lot of ways due to my dogs, travelling is harder, it determines where you can live to an extent and it means you aren't free to just do what you like as there is a dog you are responsible for that needs to be fed and walked and loved.

I wouldn't change anything but I was older than you when we got them so just make sure you're ready for the commitment

I think the only dog that would suit would be an older dog that is already used to those conditions - you can't do that with a puppy if you have no one as a backup.

If I get a puppy, I would get one when I have holidays for 2-3 weeks, so I can train the puppy. Even if I decide to go for an elder dog, what breed would you suggest? I was thinking of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

No way to ever leaving a cav or other little companion breed outside all day and into the night. It's inappropriate and in my opinion, unkind.

Agreeing with Dame Aussie. You may want a dog but that's different to being ready for one.

I think the only dog that would suit would be an older dog that is already used to those conditions - you can't do that with a puppy if you have no one as a backup.

If I get a puppy, I would get one when I have holidays for 2-3 weeks, so I can train the puppy. Even if I decide to go for an elder dog, what breed would you suggest? I was thinking of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

No way to ever leaving a cav or other little companion breed outside all day and into the night. It's inappropriate and in my opinion, unkind.

Agreeing with Dame Aussie. You may want a dog but that's different to being ready for one.

My dogs are left outside all day if i am not home.

they just sleep, and enjoy the sun, Bark at the postman and resume sleeping.

But report me to the rspca for their terrible lives ;) They are a companion breed, but they are also dogs.

But report me to the rspca for their terrible lives ;) They are a companion breed, but they are also dogs.

Yeh but Denali - you're in Q where your days (generally) aren't as cool as the OPs. And you have three for company and you're an experienced owner.

I was knocked back on a couple of dogs because I "work too long" :') but with a bit of planning and preparation I think you can make it with a bit of work. I took 2 weeks off to help mine (a mutt chosen on behaviour description versus looks except short hair and largish lol) get settled. The first week getting to know each other and set up ground rules, the second week slowly imitating a work day routine.

My first week back at work was also a short week. I would start late and finish early.

I was worried when she had to become an only dog

But a camera has revealed indoor or out she sleeps all the time. This is a dog who I was warned has a bit of separation anxiety and needs a companion. I'm thinking being out of the foster system, having a place of her own and a set routine is all she actually needed. Actually living with her is incredibly low fuss. I'm the one with the separation anxiety from her lol.

Our routine of you need ideas:

Walks :p it'd be a lie to say I do it every day but every other day usually.

For days that run late and winter where it is too dark and creepy for walks I got a long treadmill off gumtree. What else. We have a digging pit. I hide food around the yard so she spends the first couple of hours looking for that. Flirt pole and brain games. I leave work early on Thursdays or Fridays to take her to pet warehouses and the park (summer). Every 3 weeks or so I use extra work hours to take a whole day off to take her on play dates with friends. The whole weekend is usually chores and time with the dog.

I have had to change my social life. I go out less, but as an introvert it pleases me to have a reason not to be out every night. I can't really do holidays without the dog like overseas because she's stranger scared. , through temperament or shit luck. Doesn't matter to me much though as I prefer road tripping around Australia so I just bring her. This did however make my nana's illness and passing very difficult, mostly because of bass strait.

Lots of brain games. But overall I think it is good for me and the dog to learn to spend time apart and I don't think she is harmed by my daily absence or that working and unwind a dog is impossible.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Yeh but Denali - you're in Q where your days (generally) aren't as cool as the OPs. And you have three for company and you're an experienced owner.

Thank you!

I'm assuming you're taking the piss denali.

We've had the same thread a year ago and the OP was advised on breeds. And was given some appropriate advice for the information provided. Including from you.

Although things have changed again we're still talking about a very young person just out of high school.

And the new dog was going to be indoors and a 'constant companion', but that has changed to outside in VIC alone in the cold and heat ..(all night?).

OP already had a pug but gave it away due to almost moving overseas. But didn't move.

So;

Realistically how many hours per day will the dog be in range of their owner.

When will the dog be allowed inside.

Will the dog be sleeping outside at night.

Will the parents do backup when owner is away.

How into the idea are the parents/homeowners/people who pay for everything/final say.

What happens over the next 15yrs to guarantee this companion breed gets everything it needs when things change so much for a young person and already have.

Shoot me. :flame: I would never ever place a dog into that story. But plenty will. This thread has much more going on than just focussing on the hours away from home.

True!

One little puppy or dog is a lot different to two or three :)

Thank you to everyone who gave an informative and genuine reply. Since half the topic is basically about people who are just to make a statement and not provide any useful information, I would like to have this topic locked. Once again, than you very much to the people who shared their experiences and gave me an insight on how to go about this if I decide to get a dog.

How into the idea are the parents/homeowners/people who pay for everything/final say.

What happens over the next 15yrs to guarantee this companion breed gets everything it needs when things change so much for a young person and already have.

These are really good questions, OP!

No one is having a go at you personally, everyone here loves dogs and doesn't want to see anything go to poop, its happened way too many times here.

It'd probably pay to sit down with these questions and be totally honest with yourself, see what you can come up with.

These are really good questions, OP!

No one is having a go at you personally, everyone here loves dogs and doesn't want to see anything go to poop, its happened way too many times here.

It'd probably pay to sit down with these questions and be totally honest with yourself, see what you can come up with.

Thanks, I agree with you in that case, but the other posters were giving me crap if you don't mind me saying.

Just to explain some points, the dog will only be outside when I am gone during the day for 4 days around 9 hours, then when I come back it will be inside, it will also sleep inside as I really want to get it into a habit of crate training.

It can be done... dog knows, many people have managed it over the years - even "novices"... we all have to start somewhere, yes?

I was 19 when I left home and got my first really truly my very own dog... and if I'd asked here first, I may well have been shot down in flames... *grin*

Thankfully back then, we didn't have internet forums to ask permission from... *sly grin*

The only thing you really want to take into deep consideration is the probable lifespan and life changes your chosen breed (or mix) will likely have... and how you are going to stick with it through all that time...

T.

It can be done... dog knows, many people have managed it over the years - even "novices"... we all have to start somewhere, yes?

I was 19 when I left home and got my first really truly my very own dog... and if I'd asked here first, I may well have been shot down in flames... *grin*

Thankfully back then, we didn't have internet forums to ask permission from... *sly grin*

The only thing you really want to take into deep consideration is the probable lifespan and life changes your chosen breed (or mix) will likely have... and how you are going to stick with it through all that time...

T.

Haha, must have been nice to some extent. :p Yeah, I would look quite into depth before considering anything, this topic was just to know if it can be done or not, I probably won't be getting one until next year January.

T.

Same. Left at 17 and owned 'my' first dog other than family dogs. Worked full time. 6 - 7 days a week.

Not sure what your point is about being shot down in flames.

It's as much about changing and evolving your life as it is about hours out of home.

The people who contact us because they don't have time for the dog anymore. Are moving. Had kids. Neighbour complaints. Boredom/destructive. Got a new dog. Landlord orders. WTF can I do?? Pet started with good intentions but not the reality of 15yrs.

BTW Everywhere I've lived has had backyard yard dogs who bark all day. All friday and saturday night. And some, all sunday. Lights out, nobody home.

And I still believe small companion breeds should not be made to live outdoors. Not apologising for that.